The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA5 (18/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
120 UMS, was totally not expecting that. Can't remember how hard the exam was though.
Reply 1901
Well, I got 120/120 in unit 4, which was a brilliant platform for me to get the A* in Physics. All I needed to do, with the help of my ISA, was to get a low A in PHYA5 - what do I do? I get a B :wink:

Oh well.
got a C in ISA and unit 5 :angry:

luckily did well at AS so managed an A overall :rolleyes:
Original post by Liam_W_
may I have some of your beautiful UMS? I don't know how I got a D in the Astrophysics module.. a D overall for that matter, I feel much more competent at it. This post is going to seem so out of place with all yours like!

Tbh mate i got a B in astro an A overall. Using unofficial mark schemes i worked out i got an A in astro with me being a harsh examiner. It just goes to show it can depend on the person marking. Rumour has it aqa are being harsh with a lot of their marking this year due to criticism that A levels are too easy.
Reply 1904
120/120 in Unit 4
103/120 in Unit 5D
54/60 in Unit 6X

=D
Reply 1905
100/120 in unit 5C
36/60 in unit 6x lol
110/120 in unit 4
and 112/120 in unit 1 retake
managed to get A overall ~
So annoyed with my college about ISA grades.
I got 115/120 in unit 4, 110/120 in 5C but was stopped getting an A* by an ISA grade of 37/60...

An A is still really good and what I wanted but its just annoying when you realise that if you got the ISA grade you got last year you'd have an A*
Genuinely stumped as to how I managed 101 UMS on this paper :dunce:

12 UMS off of an A overall :emo:
Reply 1908
Original post by Femto
Well, I got 120/120 in unit 4, which was a brilliant platform for me to get the A* in Physics. All I needed to do, with the help of my ISA, was to get a low A in PHYA5 - what do I do? I get a B :wink:

Oh well.

Exactly the same happened to me. And it happened in economics too. Pretty frustrating.

Thinking about just getting a remark. Doesn't really matter it would just be nice...
Reply 1909
Original post by Thrug
Exactly the same happened to me. And it happened in economics too. Pretty frustrating.

Thinking about just getting a remark. Doesn't really matter it would just be nice...

Yeah it is annoying!

But to be honest, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter to me. I'm off to Warwick to study maths and that's a dream for me :wink:
Reply 1910
Original post by Femto
Yeah it is annoying!

But to be honest, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter to me. I'm off to Warwick to study maths and that's a dream for me :wink:

See you there.
Reply 1911
Original post by Thrug
See you there.

Oh sweet! I wasn't aware :wink:
Reply 1912
Hi,
I'm 5UMS of a B in Physics which is what I need to get a scholarship from my university
I got a mid B overall last year.
This year I got 84 in both modules and 27 in my EMPA
I'm considering getting a re-mark of the EMPA, is there any point?
Reply 1913
Does anyone have access to the official mark scheme for this?
Anybody have a link to information or know how I can work out how far I was off a B overall?

cheers :smile:
Reply 1915
Original post by crossley94
Anybody have a link to information or know how I can work out how far I was off a B overall?

cheers :smile:

420 - your UMS score = how far off a B..
Reply 1916
Official mark scheme anyone?
Reply 1917
Original post by no1_titch
So annoyed with my college about ISA grades.
I got 115/120 in unit 4, 110/120 in 5C but was stopped getting an A* by an ISA grade of 37/60...

An A is still really good and what I wanted but its just annoying when you realise that if you got the ISA grade you got last year you'd have an A*

feel exactly the same as you
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Amirrryy
just found a rock question, thought i should share as it might be helpful.

Potassium-42 decays with a half-life of 12 hours. When potassium-42 decays, it emits β– particles and gamma rays. One freshly prepared source has an activity of 3.0 × 107 Bq.
(a) To determine the radiation dose absorbed by the scientist working with the source, the number of gamma rays photons incident on each cm2 of the body has to be known.
One in every five of the decaying nuclei produces a gamma ray photon. A scientist is initially working 1.50 m from the fresh source with no shielding. Show that at this time approximately 21 gamma photons per second are incident on each cm2 of the scientist’s body.

b) The scientist returns 6 hours later and works at the same distance from the source.
(i) Calculate the new number of gamma ray photons incident per second on each cm2 of the scientist’s body.
number of gamma photons per second per cm2 = .................................
(ii) Explain why it is not necessary to consider the beta particle emissions when determining the radiation dose the scientist receives.

couldnt do it myself :biggrin: think we could get something like this?

has this been a past exam question? it's solid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending