Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

22.05.2012 - AQA GCSE English Literature Exam - HELP!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how to answer the questions.

Can anyone give me the structure how to answer the questions in SA and B?

I want to get an A*!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    What books are you doing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this for the poetry or prose section and what books/poetry section (as said above)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing relationship section of anthropology.

(Original post by DrSL)
    What books are you doing?

(Original post by Heinze113)
    Is this for the poetry or prose section and what books/poetry section (as said above)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im doing the same paper as you, short stories and of mice and men. completely stuck on how to set the answer out

any one have any predictions for the paper?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about relationships because I do character and voice but for short stories I'm guessing maybe something on childhood and growing up in either Anil or the darkness out there. For of mice and men I thinking maybe something about curley's wife. I'll probably have guessed it all wrong but who knows
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To answer a poem question you need to write about
    -themes
    -language
    -structure/form
    -your feelings

Try and make comparisons between them rather than just separate sections about each poem. Is this ok?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for short stories, '100% perfect girl' hasnt come up right?
    and im stuck on revising for of mice and men
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Need help on how to structure questions about The Crucible and Of Mice & Men! Thanks though everyone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue what I'm doing. FFS help me!

I am pissed off. Are teacher just told us about the symbolism, etc - not how to answer the questions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    B.U.M.P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Need help on how to structure questions about The Crucible and Of Mice & Men! Thanks though everyone.
    What themes have you covered in crucible and what else have you covered in the crucible

Also what do you think willl come up in the exam about crucible?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing Animal Farm or Duffy poetry?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Lord of the Flies and Mister Pip? I'm so stuck on Mister Pip, I have no idea what to do/how to structure the answers/what I'm actually supposed to write and the exam is so soon aaah! Most of our stuff has been geared towards getting like a B but ideally, I'd like to get an A*, any tips?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For Of Mice and Men, do not hold out too much on Curley's wife popping up, last year, when I sat the exam, she was in the Foundation paper, yet my higher class had all studied for it to be her, so when a question about symbolism of the bunkhouse popped up, we all wanted to cry in our seats. AQA went quite far fetched last year and caught my whole group out, so many of us are retaking it on the 22nd. For OMAM, it's best to think of ALL possibilities now. After all, they used a bunkhouse question, right? They could ask about the symbolism of the animals, or Slim, or Candy, or even Curley. I wouldn't put my hopes up of George or Lennie popping up either as they've already been on past papers many times. Not completely ruling it out, but don't just study them two, it's definitely best to go all out. And to answer the question, generally, try and answer the actual exam question by using quotes, analysing them and at any point you state a fact, back it up with quotes, otherwise you'll lose marks if you do not back it up. I really hope I helped and I wish you all luck in the exam!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe263)
    Is anyone doing Lord of the Flies and Mister Pip? I'm so stuck on Mister Pip, I have no idea what to do/how to structure the answers/what I'm actually supposed to write and the exam is so soon aaah! Most of our stuff has been geared towards getting like a B but ideally, I'd like to get an A*, any tips?
    Same, I'm re reading mister pip but I never get the questions they ask. I always have to end up writing about Matilda's Point of view. I think to get an a* you need to use PEE..so literally analyse every single thing you say

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing An Inpector Calls?
    I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck

Any thoughts on how to make them A/A* essays?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    analyse form structure and language
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrantG)
    I have no idea how to answer the questions.

Can anyone give me the structure how to answer the questions in SA and B?

I want to get an A*!

(Original post by sophieking)
    I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck

Even though I did My GCSE English Lit exam 3 years ago have you guys managed to get hold of a model answer that is A/A*? I found them to be extremely helpful because you can pick out the areas that they hit and then adjust yours so you know you're hitting all the assessment objectives like them. Also keep practicing with past papers as it will perfect your essay writing technique.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieking)

Normally for An Inspector Calls the question will be about a character so the easiest thing to do is learn who each character represents. Also, examiners really like it when you talk about it as a play so you can describe how the stagecraft at a certain point has an effect e.g. The fact the Inspector remains standing the whole time shows that he wants to separate himself from the Birling's and everything they represent.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.