The Student Room Group

22.05.2012 - AQA GCSE English Literature Exam - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
would you structure a poetry response like this:
Paragraph 1 - Compare the meanings of poems
P2 - Compare the imagery in the poems
P3 - Compare the tone of the poems
P4 - Compare the structure of the poems
P5 - Compare the language of the poems
Original post by science-oliver
Thankyou,

yeah i talked about context in part b)

But only talked about curley's wife :/

I said about Curley's wife being called a 'tart' before she was even displayed. Steinbeck did this to show he we instantly made a perception of her despite not actually seeing her actions. This clouds the validity of candy's claims. But steinbec cleverly did this to show how we as a reader have formed an opinion of her already. Also put how curley's wife being an object becuase of her name, also in 1930's they were seen ad objects

Then how she attempts to ruin crooks, with the one about her stringing crooks up to a tree- related it to black people in society and lynching and also how therefore women had more power in society over blacks

last did about in death she seemed humane because of her dreams. Said she was a very complex character, how the half hay covering her face meant that her dreams were only half done and thats how it was always going to be, how it made her seem natural as she's covered in something natural. Also said how this 'pigeon flew about the barn and flew out' showing how she has now got opportunity and freedom

Overall, because of my pints steinbeck allowes the reader to decide whether to condemn or condone curley's wife and because she was microcosmic of women in society they reflect this

i reckon probably looking around 10/11 for the fact that didn't mention aunt clara or the girl i weed or the prostitutes

but i think my crucible essay should hopefully have made up for this (hopefully) really want an A* in lit
would you structure a poetry response like this:
Paragraph 1 - Compare the meanings of poems
P2 - Compare the imagery in the poems
P3 - Compare the tone of the poems
P4 - Compare the structure of the poems
P5 - Compare the language of the poems

honestly, i didn't really structure my poetry essay and still managed to get 2 ums off an A* (considering more than half of my year are resitting it tomorrow because they got C's and D's) only two people in my year got A*'s. I would say make your most valid points and THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is your own interpretation of things, its no good having the same quotes as everyone else in your class and i didn't and i believe that is why i got 2 ums off an A*.

However i would say this,
Make your most valid and most imaginative responses about both poems, and try to connect them but also show how they are DIFFERENT

I would then also talk about imagery yes
Definitely talk about structure
obviously talk about the language
and yes talk about the tone but i dont feel you need much on the tone however.
Don't also think you need much on the meaning, but it all depends on your imaginative responses of the meaning.

But overall sorry for the big rant, would say it is a good structure to use :smile:
Reply 142
Original post by science-oliver
honestly, i didn't really structure my poetry essay and still managed to get 2 ums off an A* (considering more than half of my year are resitting it tomorrow because they got C's and D's) only two people in my year got A*'s. I would say make your most valid points and THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is your own interpretation of things, its no good having the same quotes as everyone else in your class and i didn't and i believe that is why i got 2 ums off an A*.

However i would say this,
Make your most valid and most imaginative responses about both poems, and try to connect them but also show how they are DIFFERENT

I would then also talk about imagery yes
Definitely talk about structure
obviously talk about the language
and yes talk about the tone but i dont feel you need much on the tone however.
Don't also think you need much on the meaning, but it all depends on your imaginative responses of the meaning.

But overall sorry for the big rant, would say it is a good structure to use :smile:

Thanks,

we've been taught MITSL.

I will just listen to my teacher for once :wink:

I won't write much about tone :smile:

Also: would this apply to any question? but obviously if if specifically asks you to talk about structure or language you'd do a lot about those ?
hmmm i would have to say yes you would have to do alot about those

but i really doubt AQA would honestly be that evil (although i thought the crucible questions could have been better) they will just ask you how a poem reflects the theme of e.g loneliness and you will just have to use language, structure, imagery to reflect this theme :smile:
Original post by munro5263
Yeah i know, all i would have been able to say is that he was the driving force towards simon leaving...
Uhh yeah i did the tension question also. i think it went reasonably well. How about you? What points did you make? I just quoted the 'obituary photos' from richard, the weather, and the growing differences between the two.

I said about nature and also the feelings and emotions joe begins to develop, i think i did alright at the end of the day. also of mice and men was very easy so hopefully that will up my grade if i did really bad :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending