Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Removing sugar from diet?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    You need natural sugar for your blood so its in balance with the salt content. If not, it can bring all sorts of health problems.
    wut
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need natural sugar for your blood so its in balance with the salt content. If not, it can bring all sorts of health problems.
    Lmao broscience.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    surely natural yoghurt has lactose?
    I know they won't be sugar free, I just mean like added glucose-fructose syrup.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TotalSweet helps me give up sugar. It's pure xylitol, a natural sweetener made from birch trees. You can find it in Holland and Barratt.

I also eat a bit of 100% or 90% dark chocolate sometimes in natural yogurt with a bit of raw organic honey (I'm more concerned about refined sugars than natural sugars as long as I don't have too much).

If I want ice cream, again Holland and Barratt sell Whey Hey ice cream made with xylitol instead of sugar, it's gorgeous. Expensive but if you REALLY need ice cream it's worth it.

Also love making hot chocolate with Green and Blacks pure cocoa powder, 50/50 milk/hot water and either xylitol or raw honey.

If I'm going to go absolutely nuts I'll have a bit of diabetic choc from H+B or Thorntons but this is very rare.

Without these tips I'd never have been able to give up sugar. It does get easier as time goes on, too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lol.

OP, it's pretty obvious what's bad for you and what isn't. If it's obviously not good for you, don't eat it. Dieting really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Right, so I've completely removed table salt from my diet but should I remove sugar as well? I do know that one teaspoon of salt is enough to fill in my sodium intake and that could be dangerous in the long run, but what about sugar?

Thanks

*The processed sugar (white sugar/cubed) is what I'm thinking to remove.
    Do it. I personally couldn't stress it enough. 'Sucrose' or table sugar has absolutely no health benefit whatsoever, empty calories as they say. I completely eradicated sugar from my diet - including sweets, chocolate, fruit juice, etc. the only high sugar foods I eat are fruit. And believe me, it's the best decision I've ever made. My physique is better, my mood is better and my diet overall is better. The only time I'd say table sugar is okay would be during/after intense exercise, just as long distance running/cycling, just to replenish those glycogen stores. Also, I wouldn't recommend eradicating table salt, because salt is important in your diet, especially if you exercise.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.