Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to go on benefits?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    Yes providing you with food and shelter is not caring. Raising you for 21 years is not caring.
    Well a large part of that is obligation not necessarily caring. It's not like I would fund a lavish lifestyle for my adult kids but if they were struggling I don't see why I wouldn't help them out if I could, and I certainly wouldn't mind them treating me as a safety net so long as they weren't egregious about it.

Then they'll do the same for their kids, I don't see what the big deal is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    What is it about an application for JSA that prevents a person from also looking for jobs? An hour or so getting everything sorted out wouldn't prevent the OP from continuing to look for jobs even on the same day as his application. JSA isn't there for people who have already spend ages looking for jobs and haven't found one - it's there as a form of support for people who are looking for jobs.

Indeed, part of the purpose of Jobcentres (though they rarely fulfil this - most employees are cretins who would struggle to find any other type of work themselves) is to aid people in their search for a job.
    This. I mean, the one time I put a claim in - I did it in the morning and I found work the same day (temp job) and cancelled my claim the next morning (so I didn't actually get a penny). It isn't difficult.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    What is it about an application for JSA that prevents a person from also looking for jobs? An hour or so getting everything sorted out wouldn't prevent the OP from continuing to look for jobs even on the same day as his application. JSA isn't there for people who have already spend ages looking for jobs and haven't found one - it's there as a form of support for people who are looking for jobs.

Indeed, part of the purpose of Jobcentres (though they rarely fulfil this - most employees are cretins who would struggle to find any other type of work themselves) is to aid people in their search for a job.
    (Original post by Jake22)
    what is stopping the op applying for JSA while looking for a job =
    op is still in full time education general finishing date is june - july for summer graduation so may be finished with exams/lectures whatever may-ish but actually out of education probably not yet (my last deadline was may 20 something, my degree says i finished 16th june (i went and read it as i dont know it i tend to put down my actual graduation ceremony date on stuff)...but the point of all this is you cant get JSA until you are NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training)... OP will have a month + left in which to look for possibly find job before even qualifying for JSA... yet doesnt seem concerned about looking for a job now instead is concerned about how to apply for jsa...
    x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimx)
    Well a large part of that is obligation not necessarily caring. It's not like I would fund a lavish lifestyle for my adult kids but if they were struggling I don't see why I wouldn't help them out if I could, and I certainly wouldn't mind them treating me as a safety net so long as they weren't egregious about it.

Then they'll do the same for their kids, I don't see what the big deal is.
    I think the White community is stuck in an endless cycle. The parents provide minimum or no care for their kids once they turn 18, and as a result, the kids put them in a care home once their parents get old, rather than provide them with shelter in their own house.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    I think the White community is stuck in an endless cycle. The parents provide minimum or no care for their kids once they turn 18, and as a result, the kids put them in a care home once their parents get old, rather than provide them with shelter in their own house.
    :eyeball:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recentgrad)
    Hi everybody.

Wondering if anyone can help me solve a problem.
    I have been studying in London and I am about to graduate (im not doing a masters). I want to stay living in London, but my rent is coming to an end, I dont have a job lined up and have no savings left (im in overdraft- got access to a couple of hundred quid left).

My family home is in a crappy small town in the middle of nowhere.

I dont want to go back home, living with my parent - how do i manage to stay in london until i can find a job. I dont know how the benefits system works.

I dont want to be a scrounger and dont want to be broke so i will be looking for a job- i just need a temporary fix. If I am in london, atleast I walk/bus it to interviews and wont have to put up with my parents rules.

If im back home, they wont pay for me to travel to interviews so will have to get a local job (if there are any) and they wont give me any allowance, just cover the absolute basics (food, shelter). They dont care about me and wont help me in the slightest.

I feel that if i go back home I will be trapped there, have to get a job in the area and getting back to London will be almost impossible.

Im happy to work in mcdonalds or whatever i have to do to stay in London, but I need to get on benefits/find somewhere to live until i get a job.

How do I do this? Is it possible? Im pretty desperate.
    Its not easy mate, I didn't want to go back to live with my parents in the arse end of nowhere after uni but I couldn't get a job where I lived so had to go home, tbh I would recommend going home, putting up with you parents, and getting a small part time job to keep you going and get some savings then when you have the money, if you still want to, move back to London.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delasandro)
    That's the problem with our society these days. As soon as your on benefits, I honestly doubt you would be willing wo work at McDonalds. You'll end up saying it's not worth it etc.
    I gave up my benefits to work at McDonalds. A job is a job. Its better than sitting at home all day reading rejection after rejection.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched a documentary a little while back, (I'm sorry I can't remember more). It was about people who lived with others needing some care, some were elderly and needed a small amount of company, some had mobility issues and needed more help.
    It seemed to work out for all parties. I've just remembered it was an article in either the The Guardian/Observer. Have you thought of doing something like this?
    It would enable you to stay in London and look for work and I bet you'd make some life-long friends as well.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kungfuwhat)
    I watched a documentary a little while back, (I'm sorry I can't remember more). It was about people who lived with others needing some care, some were elderly and needed a small amount of company, some had mobility issues and needed more help.
    It seemed to work out for all parties. I've just remembered it was an article in either the The Guardian/Observer. Have you thought of doing something like this?
    It would enable you to stay in London and look for work and I bet you'd make some life-long friends as well.
    Depending on what the care required is, you may not even need any training too.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.