ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    No.
    What do you oppose?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

No.
    Do you have anything else to contribute?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    What do you oppose?
    HS2 is awesome.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanlas)
    This petition calls upon the government to:
    1) Re-examine its commitment to the 'High Speed 2' railway project, following claims that the benefits have been overstated

2) Provide an extra £200 million over the next ten years for the creation of the 'Strategic Freight Network' project

3) Provide £560 million for the Manchester Hub project

4) Provide £500 million for the electrification of the East Midlands line

Why re-examine High Speed 2?
    Although the RL government has claimed that the £33 billion project could bring benefits of up to £47 billion, this has come under fierce criticism. It is clear that more reaserch is needed before embarking on such an expensive project, in case it turns out to be a white elephant.

What is the Strategic Freight Network?
    It is quite simply a plan to increase the efficiency of freight transport in the UK: see here. Some £200 million has already been allocated at the time of writting, but it is thought that more money will be needed to make it effective

Manchester Hub
    According to this and this, the £560 million project could bring 30,000 jobs in the North, economic benefits of £4.2 billion and increase capacity by 3.5 million per year. It is also important to note that transport spending in the North is currently significantly lower than around London

East Midlands line
    See here for more detail on this project. According to reasarch, the comparative fuel cost per mile is 47p for diesel compared with 26p for electric, while track wear and tear per mile is 9.8p for diesel and 8.5p for electric.
    1) In its RL form i oppose it. It needs to be maglev at that speed and it needs to go further (Glasgow-Edinburgh-Newcastle-Leeds-Birmingham-London-Southhampton plus Manchester-Birmingham-London-Southhampton and potentially Swansea-Cardiff-Birmingham), basically a much wider and more integrated network.

In addition i can promise you that this government is not stumping up £30bn without hefty private sector involvement.

2, 3 and 4) Consider with private sector involvment
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    HS2 is awesome.
    Yes it is. I do not want it to be re-examined because it will delay it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    HS2 is awesome.
    I'm not saying its not. Its just that there has been a lot of criticism and credible claims that the benefits have been overstated. As this is such a huge investment (£33 billion), I see no harm in delaying it a bit more just to be absolutely certain whether or not it is the right thing to invest it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before even considering the major cities, the far South West and Wales are in urgent needs of refurbishment
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    So is 1) the clause you disagree with?
    If yes, then it shouldn't be problem. This is a petition and hence non-binding, so changes may be made between this and the final Bill- in the Research petition I originally included a competivity website idea, which I dropped in the final Bill due to some criticism).
    Ultimately, whether or not this petition passes the decision on HS2 will be up to the transport secretary and the Coalition's budget.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    If not, then it shouldn't be problem. This is a petition and hence non-binding, so changes may be made between this and the final Bill- in the Research petition I originally included a competivity website idea, which I dropped in the final Bill due to some criticism).
    Ultimately, whether or not this petition passes the decision on HS2 will be up to the transport secretary and the Coalition's budget.
    I have stated my objections.
    The Transport Secretary is not interested, that is the impression I am getting.

EU TEN-T Funding for HS2?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    Before even considering the major cities, the far South West and Wales are in urgent needs of refurbishment
    One of the many reasons i advocate extending HS2 to include Wales.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    Are there any specific projects in that area which need funding?

(Original post by Metrobeans)
    QFA
    Is it possible to amend a petition before voting begins?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying its not. Its just that there has been a lot of criticism and credible claims that the benefits have been overstated. As this is such a huge investment (£33 billion), I see no harm in delaying it a bit more just to be absolutely certain whether or not it is the right thing to invest it.
    Ignoring the fact that the TSR government would not contribute a full £33bn to it anyway i do support the RL coalition assessment of the benefits.

The vast majority of opposition is from NIMBY'S who believe that 2 metal lines will spoil their countryside.

People also need to remember that the real money spinner here is not domestic travel but the link to HS1 which has European train operators gagging as you could potentially go from Manchester to Paris in about 3 hours ect...
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    If yes, then it shouldn't be problem. This is a petition and hence non-binding, so changes may be made between this and the final Bill- in the Research petition I originally included a competivity website idea, which I dropped in the final Bill due to some criticism).
    Funding for HS2 will not be in the next budget due to the time required for rail reform and the time needed to propose an adequate solution.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Funding for HS2 will not be in the next budget due to the time required for rail reform and the time needed to propose an adequate solution.
    Ah. In that case clause 1) is redundant if there is no immediate plan anyway.
    I've asked the speaker if it is possible to ammend the petition, or if I need to resubmit it again.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    One of the many reasons i advocate extending HS2 to include Wales.
    LOL, I'm not in Cardiff or Swansea haha. In Mid-Wales, we have one service every 2 hours to Birmingham (it's 6 hours to London with a change - which is rare unless you live in northern Scotland where you change at Inverness) which is 2 carriages and takes 3 and a half hours. They said once the Welsh assembly raise enough money it will be hourly, but I can't see that being anytime soon.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah. In that case clause 1) is redundant if there is no immediate plan anyway.
    I've asked the speaker if it is possible to ammend the petition, or if I need to resubmit it again.
    No need to change it as it could be taken on later in the term (or something similar) but as a petition people should not be voting it down due to one specific anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The railways were first built by private companies, these had cheap fares rather than the joke price system we have today. It is my intention to remove any state involvement from rail in order to bring it back to prosperity.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    The railways were first built by private companies, these had cheap fares rather than the joke price system we have today. It is my intention to remove any state involvement from rail in order to bring it back to prosperity.
    I am sorry but you are out of depth, there should be some State involvement with regards to the Railways. Any attempts, I will be voting against.

IRL it is Franchises, procurement and infrastructure at the moment.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry but you are out of depth, there should be some State involvement with regards to the Railways. Any attempts, I will be voting against.

IRL it is Franchises, procurement and infrastructure at the moment.
    Why were cheap prices possible before but not possible now? The only explanation is the state.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.