Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Historical Novels

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    I don't think so. When I read it there was something really weird about the writing I just couldn't put my finger on. You don't happen to know what that was do you?
    I got so confused in like, the second chapter and gave up:/
    For me it was because, instead of saying 'Bob did this' the author wrote it so that it was 'he did this' so when 'he' was in a conversation with another man, they were both 'he' so i had no idea who was doing what... if that makes any sense?

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As other people on here have said would really recommend The Bronze Horseman or The Siege if you're interested in Communist Russia.
    I really enjoyed The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall, really interesting story set in China and Russia
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love Eva Ibbotson's books. The Secret Countess and A Song for Summer are both set in the 20th century. Also The Magic Flute.

Helen Dunmore's The Seige is a really good read too.

For something a little more adult, you can try Sebastian Faulks' Charlotte Gray if you don't fancy Birdsong, or you can read them both!

One of my all time favourites is Wild Swans by Jung Chang. It pretty much covers the whole of the twentieth century in China through the eyes of three generations of women. Quite a big read, but definitely worth it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cesca42)
    I love Eva Ibbotson's books. The Secret Countess and A Song for Summer are both set in the 20th century. Also The Magic Flute.

Helen Dunmore's The Seige is a really good read too.

For something a little more adult, you can try Sebastian Faulks' Charlotte Gray if you don't fancy Birdsong, or you can read them both!

One of my all time favourites is Wild Swans by Jung Chang. It pretty much covers the whole of the twentieth century in China through the eyes of three generations of women. Quite a big read, but definitely worth it.
    I love Eva Ibbotson too
    Did you watch Birdsong on TV? I watched the first part with my parents *cringe*
    And if you like china stuff have you read the Chinese Cinderella?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geology.is.gneiss)
    I love Eva Ibbotson too
    Did you watch Birdsong on TV? I watched the first part with my parents *cringe*
    And if you like china stuff have you read the Chinese Cinderella?
    She writes such amazing books, I've been reading them since I was really young and I still love them.
    Noo, I didn't watch it unfortunately, probably because the only option was watching it with parents!
    I haven't actually, although everyone tells me I should. Are you going to tell me the same? :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ken Follet is pretty good.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Foreshadowing by Marcus Sedgwick is quite nice. And if you're interested in mid-1800s historical war novels, definitely check out The Street Philosopher by Matthew Plampin
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Catch 22
    Empress Orchid
    A Place of Greater Safety
    Homage to Catalonia
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Although probably a bit further back in time compared to what you were hoping to read - I would recommend Walter Scott. He is a famous historical novelist (and thought to be one of the first) who was a bit of an afficionado. I've only read one of his books (Ivanhoe, probably the most well known) but that seemed to be quite good...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 7, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.