The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You guys got any ideas about what might come up this year?
Reply 81
Going to have to really cram in some last minute revision tonight and tomorrow morning haha... anyone else doing pretty much just past papers and condensed notes? Technique is so important for this exam its unreal.
Pretty much. Just past papers, answering source questions. Very little you can do in terms of learning at this stage - its all about getting your exam technique perfect.
Reply 83
Original post by sourgrapes11
Pretty much. Just past papers, answering source questions. Very little you can do in terms of learning at this stage - its all about getting your exam technique perfect.

Precisely man, it's alright knowing all the knowledge but it really is pointless with History unless you know exactly how to apply it into the exam. Three past papers I'll be doing tonight alongside some condensed revision notes should have me adequately prepared for the exam tomorrow. Due to other exams I haven't been able to recap over main content but I have a pretty decent understanding down to good teaching really so I should be fine but I'm still ****ting it because of the exam technique which is so difficult to apply unless you've practised it thoroughly.
Reply 84
I'm just reading the my revsion notes for experince of warfare and testing my self on the relevant info that I can deploy in the 40 am just working to get at least L4 in the 40 marker.
Reply 85
For Cromwells fall from power there isnt a great deal of information on it apart form the Anne of cleaves marriage ? What else do you think will come up in Henry VIII section b ?
Reply 86
For a slightly less technical answer, I like to think of using the sources as little threads of thought. You have to base your answer around the sources. There will usually be one with a fairly balanced view of the question, and then two which pick up on more specific factors. What you need to do is start with the factors which are actually mentioned in the sources, and it usually helps if you start each point with the evidence rather than the point you are going to make, so it is clear to the examiner that you are drawing what you are saying from the source, rather than saying something then making the sources work with it. Once you have made your point from the source, however, you can start to bring in your own relevant knowledge BUT it has to be linked to what you have got from the source. For example, you could have a source which talks about Henry's financial difficulties, so you could use your own knowledge to talk about how they came about e.g. the Amicable Grant. What you can't do is bring in factors that are not mentioned at all in the sources, except to briefly mention them in the conclusion if you really think they are important. You just talk more about the things which are mentioned.
Hope some of that is useful
Original post by Steve1654
You guys got any ideas about what might come up this year?

As foreign policy came up in June 2011, I would think Pilgrimage of Grace or the downfall of Cromwell as they haven't been on yet. There is usually something to do with Wolsey on either question also.

Original post by rhose
What you need to do is start with the factors which are actually mentioned in the sources, and it usually helps if you start each point with the evidence rather than the point you are going to make, so it is clear to the examiner that you are drawing what you are saying from the source, rather than saying something then making the sources work with it. Once you have made your point from the source, however, you can start to bring in your own relevant knowledge BUT it has to be linked to what you have got from the source. For example, you could have a source which talks about Henry's financial difficulties, so you could use your own knowledge to talk about how they came about e.g. the Amicable Grant.

I like this explanation and something I've been trying to do! For Question B you can use the sources as like "springboards" for your own knowledge, that is, use them to introduce your points. But I would also make sure you discuss how the sources contradict or agree with each other, or make a point about the NOP (nature/origin/purpose) - e.g. This source is about Cavendish, a close informant to Wolsey and therefore he would have portrayed Anne Boleyn harshly as some historians would argue she was partially responsible for his downfall. Basically, show that you have "mastery of the sources" (I think the mark scheme calls it that) by being a little sophisticated; you could do this in your conclusion or just once throughout your answer, as just referring to the sources occasionally won't get you in the higher/est bands for the significant 40% of the marks that is source-based.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by peace12456
I don't know the SPECIFIC question but my friend did that paper and said it was on Thatcher: her second term

Right I see, thank you :smile:
Reply 89
Read through the my revsion notes book twice taking relevant info in here goes for the third read!
Reply 90
Really helpful stuff, how many marks combined with unit 1 do you think it will be for an A considering it is out of 120? Wouldn't mind the Pilgrimage of Grace coming up in section B or Wolsey's policies or downfall
Reply 91
just gonna do practice papers thankyou for all the advice btw! much appreciated
Original post by sourgrapes11
Posted this on another thread about this exam as well, this is for anyone struggling with the answer structure.
I'm doing this tomorrow as well, about the Raj in India.
My college provides some guidance on how to answer the questions.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Thank you very much for including this! It is my second time taking this exam and your tips have helped a lot.

:smile:
To hear of the unlikeliness of Foreign Policy coming up has made me feel more assured - as I am less strong in that area. Ideally, I'm hoping for something to do with Wolsey's downfall.
Reply 94
Feeling confident about this exam now thankfully, getting my head around the 40 marker
Original post by ben10101
For Cromwells fall from power there isnt a great deal of information on it apart form the Anne of cleaves marriage ? What else do you think will come up in Henry VIII section b ?

Hopefully something about Wolsey's rise! which i've heard is possible! But there's only a certain amount of topics they can ask you about anyway.. just revise the royal supremacy, opposition to it, religious policy etc and foreign policy during wolsey's time.. Goodluck!
Does anyone have the Jan 2012 history paper?
If you do could you kindly post it up please?
Original post by ben10101
Really helpful stuff, how many marks combined with unit 1 do you think it will be for an A considering it is out of 120? Wouldn't mind the Pilgrimage of Grace coming up in section B or Wolsey's policies or downfall

EDIT: Just realised what you meant when you said Unit 1, your looking at 45/60 on both papers. The total for an A in AS history is 90/120; the grade boundaries are quite tight too.

Original post by andrewcarver
To hear of the unlikeliness of Foreign Policy coming up has made me feel more assured - as I am less strong in that area. Ideally, I'm hoping for something to do with Wolsey's downfall.

I think Wolsey or Cromwell's downfall would be good areas. I haven't got the January 2012 paper though (as either of these may have come up then) -- does anyone?
(edited 11 years ago)
Jinnah was a LAD.
Reply 99
Hey! i know you don't need own knowledge in part A, as my teacher has drilled this into me a number of times! And for section B, i think you have to say about how the sources are interpretations, but not necessarily go into detail like you would in the provenence of part A :smile: Im abit confused how you would structure an answer for a question on the reformation or the break with Rome :s Can anyone help?

Latest

Trending

Trending