The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I found Henry Viii paper awful!!

I did the Wolsey question and the sources had no recurring themes and the last one was so ambiguous!! Definitely messed that up :frown:
I did the warfare paper (Crimea, Boer & WW1) and, personally, I didn't find it too terrible. Questions could have been nicer but, hey, what can you do? Stayed well clear of the Crimean reforms and chose the medical care in WW1 question on part B but I don't know whether I answered it like they wanted. So, fingers crossed. (:
Original post by The Bright Beast
the wolsey sources were horrific, they literally had nowhere to 'hook' own knowledge on :s-smilie:

Ohh I didn't even look at the Wolsey sources. I hate all the alter rex stuff
Can I ask, is the grade boundaries for ALL questions the same?
So say, is the Henry section grade boundaries the same for another section like the civil war?
Original post by I'll.Be.Back
Can I ask, is the grade boundaries for ALL questions the same?
So say, is the Henry section grade boundaries the same for another section like the civil war?

no i dont think so, i think the grade boundaries are the same for each letter, so anyone who did D it would be the same, and i think that was ireland and india, but yeah im not too sure...i hope theyre all really low!
Reply 165
For those that did Henry Viii, did anyone find that the Royal Supremacy question (part b)) regarding the need for an heir said NOTHING about an heir?
The closest it got to was mentioning the divorce.

From the sources I mainly focused on the need for independence... Could mean economic strength and taxation and a little bit about Lutherna ideas.
Wbu guys?

Only source 4 and 5 mentioned anything related to a male heir, 'Henry wanted a divorce' and 'Anne's pregnancy was a pressing factor', a measly amount considering its the focus of the question :tongue: My three arguments for the break from Rome was Protestant influences, like Cromwell, Henry's desire for my power/influence and the need for a male heir/ divorce.

For Part A my arguments were religious grievances and economic factors which caused the uprisings, and argued overall it was indeed religious uprising which caused the uprisings
did anyone do Britain and Ireland? and if so how did you find it?
Reply 167
Re: Edexcel AS History exam - 22nd May 2012

Yes I did. I found the question really good as I had revised both areas - Irish Civil War and Land Wars/Land Acts in late 19th Century.

What I failed to do in the second question was refer to the sources.

I was in autopilot and cracked on - 3 or 4 sides later I realised that I had not referred to the sources but by that time I only had sufficient time to check spelling/grammer....drat and double drat!!

:mad:
Reply 168
Original post by liveloveholly
I did the warfare paper (Crimea, Boer & WW1) and, personally, I didn't find it too terrible. Questions could have been nicer but, hey, what can you do? Stayed well clear of the Crimean reforms and chose the medical care in WW1 question on part B but I don't know whether I answered it like they wanted. So, fingers crossed. (:

hey i did this exam tooo would say the b qs were a bit tricky want the nicest papper but fair i first started to plan for the reforms of the crimean qs but then couldnt think of things to deploy from what i found in the sources so i went for the medical army one instead and thankfully managed to input some of my own knowledge relevant with what the sources said.
Original post by Senator

Yes I did. I found the question really good as I had revised both areas - Irish Civil War and Land Wars/Land Acts in late 19th Century.

I was in autopilot and cracked on - 3 or 4 sides later I realised that I had not referred to the sources but by that time I only had sufficient time to check spelling/grammer....drat and double drat!!

:mad:[/QUO
ahhh :/ how did you answer the first question? did the first sourcein part give two opinions? i.e. a negative and positivei irish reaction? as some people said there was however,i didnt write it...
Original post by Senator

:smile:
For those that did Henry Viii, did anyone find that the Royal Supremacy question (part b)) regarding the need for an heir said NOTHING about an heir?
The closest it got to was mentioning the divorce.

From the sources I mainly focused on the need for independence... Could mean economic strength and taxation and a little bit about Lutherna ideas.
Wbu guys?

I agree, I mean this is debatable, but I think when the Break with Rome is mentioned we automatically think of the annulment and therefore Catherine. Catherine wasn't mentioned in any of the sources! I mean, it surprised me that Edexcel provided us with sources that didn't include her, instead choosing to provide one that suggested Henry wanted to move towards Protestantism.

Those were my points also, I spoke of Anne's pregnancy in December 1532 and the need to get the annulment as quickly as possible to marry in January 1533. I then focused on the suggestion that Henry was a protestant (included some of the Acts he introduced) and then finally the need for Royal Supremacy.

To summarise: nice questions (especially A) but dry sources with little expandable content. I mean before I started the question I thought male heir and love for Anne Boleyn; it was kind of impossible to talk in-depth about his love for Anne as it wasn't in the sources so a lot of content that could be covered was missed.
Reply 172
Original post by Senator

I did refer to the sources, but I don't think it was nearly in enough depth. The second b question was quite nice, it's an incredibly pedantic exam marking system for this one, though, so we'll have to see.
How did everyone find British politcal history 1945-90?

I'm not here to brag, seeing as this was probably the exam I did the most work for, this was probably my low point in my exams (assuming the 3, yes 3, that I have tomorrow don't go terribly).
Original post by youjennatsix
I agree, I mean this is debatable, but I think when the Break with Rome is mentioned we automatically think of the annulment and therefore Catherine. Catherine wasn't mentioned in any of the sources! I mean, it surprised me that Edexcel provided us with sources that didn't include her, instead choosing to provide one that suggested Henry wanted to move towards Protestantism.

Those were my points also, I spoke of Anne's pregnancy in December 1532 and the need to get the annulment as quickly as possible to marry in January 1533. I then focused on the suggestion that Henry was a protestant (included some of the Acts he introduced) and then finally the need for Royal Supremacy.

To summarise: nice questions (especially A) but dry sources with little expandable content. I mean before I started the question I thought male heir and love for Anne Boleyn; it was kind of impossible to talk in-depth about his love for Anne as it wasn't in the sources so a lot of content that could be covered was missed.

I also did that question and had roughly the same points, Anti-Clericalism, Power, Anne, Catherine, Cromwell/Cranmer, Heir etc... however, I'm slightly annoyed I didn't mention money as a motivation :K.

I hope you didn't actually go as far as actually calling Henry a protestant, as that term didn't arrive in England until 1556! Although Cromwell and Cranmer may have been secret Lutherans.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur
How did everyone find British politcal history 1945-90?

I'm not here to brag, seeing as this was probably the exam I did the most work for, this was probably my low point in my exams (assuming the 3, yes 3, that I have tomorrow don't go terribly).

I thought it went pretty well, the Callaghan sources were quite nice. I did the Thatcher question as I'd learnt it recently and remembered nothing about the NHS, thought it went OK and put in some own knowledge.
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
I also did that question and had roughly the same points, Anti-Clericalism, Power, Anne, Catherine, Cromwell/Cranmer, Heir etc... however, I'm slightly annoyed I didn't mention money as a motivation :K.

I hope you didn't actually go as far as actually calling Henry a protestant, as that term didn't arrive in England until 1556! Although Cromwell and Cranmer may have been secret Lutherans.

No, I said "lutheran" and in the same paragraph counter-argued it saying how Henry wrote papers with the assistance of Thomas More in 1521 stating how he despised Luther and his ideas, aswell as the attempts to show conservative religious views through some of the later Acts, and disagreed with the argument in my conclusion.

I mentioned money briefly, but definitely not in enough depth! Couldn't get my ahead around how to use the sources to apply it to Cromwell/Cranmer as the possible reason, so I left it out. All in all, I thought it wasn't a bad exam at all.
Original post by CJRyan
Only source 4 and 5 mentioned anything related to a male heir, 'Henry wanted a divorce' and 'Anne's pregnancy was a pressing factor', a measly amount considering its the focus of the question :tongue: My three arguments for the break from Rome was Protestant influences, like Cromwell, Henry's desire for my power/influence and the need for a male heir/ divorce.

For Part A my arguments were religious grievances and economic factors which caused the uprisings, and argued overall it was indeed religious uprising which caused the uprisings

For part a) I also talked about the "hated advisors" e.g Cromwell but came to teh same conclusion as you :smile:
I also didn't mention anything about the money and it was an afterthought from my exam.
However if i had mentioned it i would not have finished and wrote a conclusion which is the most important part. I finished with about a minute to spare.
Original post by BulletproofHeart
I also didn't mention anything about the money and it was an afterthought from my exam.
However if i had mentioned it i would not have finished and wrote a conclusion which is the most important part. I finished with about a minute to spare.

I completely agree with this! Someone on here said to finish this essay with a 'brief conclusion', personally my conclusion is the longest paragraph on both Question A and B. I try to weigh up all the points and come to a judgment, with reference to the sources and maybe (if it makes a point) a bit of provenance.

Latest

Trending

Trending