Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Easy AS question.... pos rep reward! <strong><font color="Oran

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please can you help me on Question 3 on this jan 2009 paper.... i cant seem to get the right frequency! Jan 09 PA.pdf

THANKS!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay so on the trace in the paper you can see that there are 3 peaks telling you that in 10ms (that is 1x10^-2 s) there are 3 wavelengths past a set point.

Frequency is wavelengths past a set point per second, and you know that 10ms goes into 1s 100 times. Therefore you know the approx frequency to be 3 (in 0.01s) x 100 (to get to 1s) giving you a frequency of 300Hz.

Hope that helps.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh unless it means all the tiny wavelengths in which case it would be more like 1000Hz which seems more plausible

EDIT: ok just seen the mark scheme and seems I was way off, sorry I couldn't be helpful!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmonidae)
    Oh unless it means all the tiny wavelengths in which case it would be more like 10000Hz which seems more plausible

EDIT: ok just seen the mark scheme and seems I was way off, sorry I couldn't be helpful!
    hmmm yes i did what you did at first, and now looking at the mark scheme, i think you have to count the tiny peaks... but still... i would not have worked that out in the exam!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah tough question. Is a legacy paper though!!
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are 5 small waves for every large one so the frequency of the small waves is 5 times that of the large.
    The large wave is 300Hz meaning the smaller is about 1500Hz
    You can also count 15 small waves to 3 large ones to get the same answer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    There are 5 small waves for every large one so the frequency of the small waves is 5 times that of the large.
    The large wave is 300Hz meaning the smaller is about 1500Hz
    You can also count 15 small waves to 3 large ones to get the same answer.
    Thanks! makes sense...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what people will do for pos reps.,:rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maphs)
    what people will do for pos reps.,:rolleyes:
    well, i have to create interest.. or no-one will help me! Its a tough world... give some to get some. :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    really funny, i should use that technique some time, but what does that actually do to them if we give them a pos rating i dont see how that is beneficial to them??:confused:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.