The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English - Getting full marks

I'm doing Advanced Higher English this year, and I'm studying Tennessee Williams's A Streetcar Named Desire and Sweet Bird of Youth. These are the texts I will solely prepare for in the exam (forgetting my second author, Janice Galloway, the novelist). My teacher has said that my dissertation was a borderline B/C and I'm not too sure how well I've done on the creative writing (we chose that module over textual analysis) and I'm really wanting an A or at least a B in Advanced Higher English. How does one get full marks in Advanced Higher English essays 30/30? Or, even, a high A like 26+? I'm really stumped! Is there any examples anyone can share?

I usually use my own formula for each of my analysis paragraphs: PEEEEL. Point, Evidence, Explain, Evidence, Explain, Link. I also make sure to add in a lot about my personal response about themes and messages after my Link. My teacher says that my personal response is really strong but even then she gave me a B. How do I get a really high A? It just seems so impossible. I've asked my teacher how to improve my essays and she doesn't say much apart from the 'quality of your response'. But, I've tried to make my quality better; I just don't know how. Can someone please offer me some advice?

Also, is there any ideas/views/discussion people might have about their texts such as those by Tennessee Williams which I'm doing? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm also doing the same Tennessee Williams' texts and revising them solely for tomorrow's exam. As far as getting full marks goes, I don't know any formulas. I got 26/30 in my NAB, and I'd say that the only thing I did differently would be the depth of insight, and trying to come up with original ideas and angles to consider. According to my teacher that's really important because Advanced Higher is about making your own ideas and originality in essays. I've never used PEEEEL before though...

What text do you prefer? I much prefer Streetcar but I always find myself referring more to Sweetbird in essays... Also any predictions for tomorrow's paper? :smile: I really want a character based question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm revising those exact same texts too, forgetting about Austen altogether. I've never actually been given a marked essay back, so I've really no idea how I am at it. Saying that, I've revised a fair bit, different themes, range of quotes and such, so I'm hoping I could twist my quotes to fit whatever question it gives me.

I'm hoping for a sex=destruction/time as enemy/conflict/loss of purity or youth, or a question to do with motifs/setting/symbolism in the plays as they're the subjects I feel most confident with. I'm predicting either a conflict, purity/youth or time as enemy question.

Also, can you give me an example of your personal response to a paragraph? I'm just interested to see someone else's work, I'm the only one in my school doing AH English and I've never had anything to compare my work with!
Reply 3
Original post by bikinikill
I'm revising those exact same texts too, forgetting about Austen altogether. I've never actually been given a marked essay back, so I've really no idea how I am at it. Saying that, I've revised a fair bit, different themes, range of quotes and such, so I'm hoping I could twist my quotes to fit whatever question it gives me.

I'm hoping for a sex=destruction/time as enemy/conflict/loss of purity or youth, or a question to do with motifs/setting/symbolism in the plays as they're the subjects I feel most confident with. I'm predicting either a conflict, purity/youth or time as enemy question.

Also, can you give me an example of your personal response to a paragraph? I'm just interested to see someone else's work, I'm the only one in my school doing AH English and I've never had anything to compare my work with!

I have personal response at the end of each analysis paragraph and then I collect them altogether and connect them in the conclusion. Here's my conclusion to a question on 'Desire':

Williams's treatment of Desire in A Streetcar Named Desire and Sweet Bird of Youth is of paramount importance of conveying the messages of what can happen when one gives into his/her tragic flaw of desire, and disregards reality. Indeed, if one does as so, then one will surely be damned - it is fated. Although, T.S. Eliot once argued that "humankind cannot bear very much reality", but Williams tells us that that isn't a reason to give into desire, and be deluded. If one does this, then chances of reality are sliml; in fact, one will be dug in so deep that chances won't even be recognised even when they are unequivocal, thus showing the inevitable doom. We must not lament over our pasts as Chance and Blanche did the so, the Bid of Youth isn't so Sweet; if we do so, however, then Desire will surely act as a streetcar and take us on a one-way trip to our personal hells. The poisonous seed must not grow, and we must not allow it to fester and derail ourselves at the hands of insatiable desire for youth: we must learn to understand that time is omni-present, forever continuing, and it will leave without us if we linger onto the past, and lament. Therefore, we must overcome fantasy.
I'm also kind of stuck on how to get really good marks in the essays... :s-smilie: I studied Donne and Keats, but I'm ignoring Keats because apparently it's very easy for Keats essays to become "samey", so you're less likely to get good marks, whereas with Donne there's more scope for debate. We think it's going to be an open-ended question, as they've told you what poems to write about for the past three years, and I'm hoping we'll get a question either on Donne's treatment or women (because I've got quotes from critics about that) or his sincerity.

One thing I'm never sure about is whether it's okay to say "I think" etc. - we were crucified at Higher if we used "I" because its unsophisticated, so I automatically stay away from it. I'm now confused about how to express my opinions in an eloquent way!

Is anyone else doing textual analysis?
Reply 5
Original post by christielovesyou
I'm also kind of stuck on how to get really good marks in the essays... :s-smilie: I studied Donne and Keats, but I'm ignoring Keats because apparently it's very easy for Keats essays to become "samey", so you're less likely to get good marks, whereas with Donne there's more scope for debate. We think it's going to be an open-ended question, as they've told you what poems to write about for the past three years, and I'm hoping we'll get a question either on Donne's treatment or women (because I've got quotes from critics about that) or his sincerity.

One thing I'm never sure about is whether it's okay to say "I think" etc. - we were crucified at Higher if we used "I" because its unsophisticated, so I automatically stay away from it. I'm now confused about how to express my opinions in an eloquent way!

Is anyone else doing textual analysis?

Hey, I'm not doing the Textual Analysis. I never use 'I think'. I try to say things like, "The point is..." or, "Therefore, it must be said that..." or, rather impersonally, "We must not give into our flaws..."

Christie, what do you do to get good marks? Loads of personal response about themes?
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
I have personal response at the end of each analysis paragraph and then I collect them altogether and connect them in the conclusion. Here's my conclusion to a question on 'Desire':

Williams's treatment of Desire in A Streetcar Named Desire and Sweet Bird of Youth is of paramount importance of conveying the messages of what can happen when one gives into his/her tragic flaw of desire, and disregards reality. Indeed, if one does as so, then one will surely be damned - it is fated. Although, T.S. Eliot once argued that "humankind cannot bear very much reality", but Williams tells us that that isn't a reason to give into desire, and be deluded. If one does this, then chances of reality are sliml; in fact, one will be dug in so deep that chances won't even be recognised even when they are unequivocal, thus showing the inevitable doom. We must not lament over our pasts as Chance and Blanche did the so, the Bid of Youth isn't so Sweet; if we do so, however, then Desire will surely act as a streetcar and take us on a one-way trip to our personal hells. The poisonous seed must not grow, and we must not allow it to fester and derail ourselves at the hands of insatiable desire for youth: we must learn to understand that time is omni-present, forever continuing, and it will leave without us if we linger onto the past, and lament. Therefore, we must overcome fantasy.

Thank you so much, that's so helpful! Very well written too, hope I can write half as well as that tomorrow :smile:
So, for a paragraph, do you tend to follow Statement>Evidence>Explanation/Analysis, and then take a separate paragraph for your own reflection and then link it all back to the question using the evidence provided in the previous paragraph? That's how I've tended to do it, but as I've said, not sure if this is the best way about it as I've never been advised otherwise.
Reply 7
Thank you so much, that's so helpful! Very well written too, hope I can write half as well as that tomorrow :smile:
So, for a paragraph, do you tend to follow Statement>Evidence>Explanation/Analysis, and then take a separate paragraph for your own reflection and then link it all back to the question using the evidence provided in the previous paragraph? That's how I've tended to do it, but as I've said, not sure if this is the best way about it as I've never been advised otherwise.

I do PEEEEL. Point, evidence, explanation, (more) evidence, explanation AND then I give my personal response about the themes and what all of it says about the messages, and then I LINK it all back to my Point by saying something blunt like: The point is...

Do you honestly think that was a good personal response/view/conclusion? I'm really worried as I've never been given an A.
Reply 8
The reason why I have so many Es is to make my analysis that much stronger. :smile:
Reply 9
I do PEEEEL. Point, evidence, explanation, (more) evidence, explanation AND then I give my personal response about the themes and what all of it says about the messages, and then I LINK it all back to my Point by saying something blunt like: The point is...

Do you honestly think that was a good personal response/view/conclusion? I'm really worried as I've never been given an A.

That's fantastic, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I really do! I think if you can write half as well as that in your exam, then you're on to a good one. It's very fluid, very insightful, you're clearly putting your own spin on the theme, discussing what you think as well as what Williams may have been thinking. I think it's a really strong response, personally. You might just have a very harsh teacher marking your essays, which is good in a way because you know you have high standards to meet.

Even if your responses aren't perfect tomorrow, you're under extreme pressure, the markers know this and they'll take it all into consideration. Take my word for it, I cried in my English exam last year, wrote what I thought was a total shower, but still somehow managed an A.

The way I like to think of this is that markers have hearts and actually want us to get a good mark. Thinking this calms me down when I'm a frantic mess. Have confidence, you'll be okay! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
That's fantastic, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I really do! I think if you can write half as well as that in your exam, then you're on to a good one. It's very fluid, very insightful, you're clearly putting your own spin on the theme, discussing what you think as well as what Williams may have been thinking. I think it's a really strong response, personally. You might just have a very harsh teacher marking your essays, which is good in a way because you know you have high standards to meet.

Even if your responses aren't perfect tomorrow, you're under extreme pressure, the markers know this and they'll take it all into consideration. Take my word for it, I cried in my English exam last year, wrote what I thought was a total shower, but still somehow managed an A.

The way I like to think is they have hearts and actually want us to get a good mark, it calms me down when I'm a frantic mess. Have confidence, you'll be okay! :biggrin:

Oh God hahahahaha. I didn't get an A last year! So crushed, really. :frown:
But if you say so that personal response = key, then hopefully I've learned from my mistakes and I should get an A in the exam (however, my creative writing and dissertation were another matter completely...).

Yeah, I hope they have hearts :lol:

What do you usually say about Williams in general? Major help needed! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by papermemories
I'm also doing the same Tennessee Williams' texts and revising them solely for tomorrow's exam. As far as getting full marks goes, I don't know any formulas. I got 26/30 in my NAB, and I'd say that the only thing I did differently would be the depth of insight, and trying to come up with original ideas and angles to consider. According to my teacher that's really important because Advanced Higher is about making your own ideas and originality in essays. I've never used PEEEEL before though...

What text do you prefer? I much prefer Streetcar but I always find myself referring more to Sweetbird in essays... Also any predictions for tomorrow's paper? :smile: I really want a character based question.

Hey Gina, Rahat here. :wink:
Reply 12
Oh God hahahahaha. I didn't get an A last year! So crushed, really. :frown:
But if you say so that personal response = key, then hopefully I've learned from my mistakes and I should get an A in the exam (however, my creative writing and dissertation were another matter completely...).

Yeah, I hope they have hearts :lol:

What do you usually say about Williams in general? Major help needed! :biggrin:

I think if you've got some deep analysis and produce a mature personal response, keeping it linked to the question, then you should be on the right tracks to a good mark.

What do you mean by Williams in general, sorry? My brains a bit fried from revision :lol:
Reply 13
I think if you've got some deep analysis and produce a mature personal response, keeping it linked to the question, then you should be on the right tracks to a good mark.

What do you mean by Williams in general, sorry? My brains a bit fried from revision :lol:

Any notes/tips/things you could tell me about Williams's texts. :smile: Anyhing to get a good mark really!
Reply 14
Any notes/tips/things you could tell me about Williams's texts. :smile: Anyhing to get a good mark really!

Is there a particular theme/motif/quote that you're unsure about? I've studied...

Theme of Sex- Both texts
Time as the Enemy- Both texts
Sex= Destruction/Sex and Death- Both texts
Loss of Youth- Both texts
Purity/Castration- Sweet Bird only
Conflict of Stanley and Blanche- Streetcar only
Old South vs. New South- Streetcar only
Motifs/Symbols/Setting- Both texts

Can anyone help me out on a question to do with characterisation? I've not really studied that, wouldn't be a bit uneasy tackling it. Just a basic
bullet point structure or something? I'm beggggging.

Edit: Oh, and I've revised Reality vs. Fantasy too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Is there a particular theme/motif/quote that you're unsure about? I've studied...

Theme of Sex- Both texts
Time as the Enemy- Both texts
Sex= Destruction/Sex and Death- Both texts
Loss of Youth- Both texts
Purity/Castration- Sweet Bird only
Conflict of Stanley and Blanche- Streetcar only
Old South vs. New South- Streetcar only
Motifs/Symbols/Setting- Both texts

Can anyone help me out on a question to do with characterisation? I've not really studied that, wouldn't be a bit uneasy tackling it. Just a basic
bullet point structure or something? I'm beggggging.

Edit: Oh, and I've revised Reality vs. Fantasy too.

Old south vs new south? Tell me more por favor!
And purity and castration - sweet bird.
Aha hey Rahat :smile:

Seriously... What do you think the question will be on? I'm just praying it'll be something like theme of sex/time as enemy/loss of youth or purity or something like that.
How much revision have you done?
Reply 17
Original post by papermemories
Aha hey Rahat :smile:

Seriously... What do you think the question will be on? I'm just praying it'll be something like theme of sex/time as enemy/loss of youth or purity or something like that.
How much revision have you done?

I just hope it's something loose on a theme, or it gives a statement and asks you to agree or disagree, again on the themes. Nothing specific like 'climax'. :/

The revision I've done... I'm literally reading Streetcar now (scene 3)... Then Sweet Bird, then religiously going over Sparknotes, my own notes, and then fishing for good quotes from both texts and then making up some interpretations of the themes and its messages. :smile: In other words, so far I've done nothing. :fail:
Reply 18
Old south vs new south? Tell me more por favor!
And purity and castration - sweet bird.

Okay, these are the basic notes I have for these, you can definitely argue these points out much more strongly, but I prefer to keep my notes simpler. Old South v New South isn't a very strong theme, but I think there's enough that if push came to shove, I could write about it.

OLD SOUTH VS. NEW SOUTH IN 'A STREET CAR NAMED DESIRE'

In 'Streetcar', Blanche DuBois repeatedly proves herself to a social snob, and to some degree, a bigot. On discussing Stanely's Polish ancestry, she claims the Polish are...

'something like the Irish, aren't they? [...] Only not so- highbrow?'

Blanche amuses herself by bringing down other cultures, feeling as though she is somewhat above them. Due to her French aristocracy, Blanche is born believing that she is prominent, important citizen, and should be valued in much higher esteem than those from less established cultures.

However, she is swiftly cut down by Stanley after she refers to him as a 'Polack';

'I am not a Polack. People from Poland are poles, not Polacks. But what I am is 100% American, born and raised.'

Here, Stanley declares his pride of being an American, but also expresses a tolerance of other nationalities. Stanley is said to represent the new America, the new south, a much more liberal, open culture, where ostracism and ignorance are not welcomed.
Blanche, however, possesses the typical old southern- bigoted, ignorant and rude.

Blanche is no longer part of a society where her thoughts and opinions are justified by her class. Blanche's attitude is no longer welcomed in this new society, her ignorance forces her into the role of social outcast.

Stella, however, survives the social transition by mixing with the common Kowalskis. Her pregnancy backs up the notion that the old south can only survive in the diluted form of a bastardised child of the new society.

The theme of 'OLD SOUTH VS. NEW SOUTH' can also be moulded into the theme of 'TIME AS THE ENEMY' as the social progression renders Blanche, who desperately seeks acceptance and approval, into a social pariah, this hurling Blanche even further into her spiral of madness and loneliness.

As Blanche represents the old south, and Stanley represents the new south, almost any conflict between the two can be argued out and twisted into the theme of 'OLD SOUTH VS. NEW SOUTH'.

SCENE ONE, STAGE DIRECTIONS:

'Her appearance is incongruous to the setting'

In her first appearence, it is obvious that Blanche, who represents the old south, is an outsider, a pariah. Blanche is 'daintily dressed in a white suit', but her surroundings are 'weathered and grey'- typically, southern architecture is bone white, grandiose and rich, but they're now 'weathered and grey', contaminated by the new south. In this new, weathered, beaten up setting, gentle Blanche is already a figure of isolation in the New South.

SCENE 10: RAPE SCENE.

The rape committed by Stanley finally pushes Blanche over the brink and into full blown insanity. Her last few strings of sanity are severed by the rape, and she descends rapidly into madness. The rape of Blanche can be viewed as the metaphorical rape of the old south. The old south is weak, it's on it's knees, but the new south proves it's power and dominance over the old culture by dominating it completely.

SUICIDE OF ALLAN GRAY:

Allan Gray commits his suicide due to the shame he is made to feel for his homosexual relationships. The south is typically known for its non-liberal attitude, Stella backs this idea up by describing Allan as 'a degenerate'. Blanche is quoted as saying '...the- the boy died!' By using the word 'boy', Blanche is belittling Allan due to his latent homosexuality. By describing Allan as a 'boy', she is suggesting that he is not worth the title of 'man'.

In most cases, it seems that Williams is in favour of this new culture as it seems to be much more liberal than the old south- however, the rape scene (along with his goal to humiliate Blanche throughout the play) indicates the animalistic instincts of this new culture, which may be a hint at William's want for a more genteel, soft society.

Hopefully that'll help you a little bit. I'll get back to you in a few minutes with the purity/castration stuff. :smile:

Edit: So...many...typos.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Oh my god, I loved it! That last bit on Williams's view was in-genius!

If you don't mind (and have time) could you give me notes on the other ones? :colondollar: Or even a few at least? That would be so helpful! Thank you :grouphugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending