Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

External hard drive won't let me eject, scared of losing all of my images

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A while ago I started backing up all of my photography work (well over a few thousand images) on my external hard drive. Then I started running out of space on my pc and needed to always put every image on there while deleting it on my computer.

a) obviously it's now no longer a back up function, it's storage. Am I being unsafe? My world would end a little if I lost 2 years of work

b) lately whenever I try to safely eject the decide it tells me that "generic volume" is in use and can't be ejected. I close everything and it still won't let me. I tried to open task manager to quit anything, but couldn't find anything. In the end I just end up pulling out the cable, but again...I'm terrified of losing my images
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The obvious answer is, don't put them all in one place.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reboot the computer??
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shut down your computer,silly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Shut down your computer,silly
    But I've heard of so many people who's usb sticks went haywire via this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    The obvious answer is, don't put them all in one place.
    So, basically, "Buy another external hard drive.">?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do people actually go to the trouble of safely ejecting?

Remember the Golden Rule OP, "data you don't have at least three copies of is data you don't care about".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulamae)
    A while ago I started backing up all of my photography work (well over a few thousand images) on my external hard drive. Then I started running out of space on my pc and needed to always put every image on there while deleting it on my computer.

a) obviously it's now no longer a back up function, it's storage. Am I being unsafe? My world would end a little if I lost 2 years of work

b) lately whenever I try to safely eject the decide it tells me that "generic volume" is in use and can't be ejected. I close everything and it still won't let me. I tried to open task manager to quit anything, but couldn't find anything. In the end I just end up pulling out the cable, but again...I'm terrified of losing my images
    Buy another hard drive.

The MBR may become corrupted if you interrupt the drive when it's performing an operation, but that can be restored easily with any data recovery program.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back up stuff to the interwebs Google just released Google drive as well
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    But I've heard of so many people who's usb sticks went haywire via this.
    Pretty unlikely to happen. Do a proper soft shutdown and it should end the process that's causing the deadlock.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, basically, "Buy another external hard drive.">?
    Or some other form of storage, yes. It's not a good idea to keep things you hold dear in one place.

And also don't store both of them in the same place, lest you end up like someone I know who lost all eight copies of his dissertation because he kept them in one bag which he proceeded to lose. :lol:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.