Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Religion - Is Mental Illness much more prevalent than previously thought?

Announcements Posted on
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many billions (if we are to just take the 2 or so billion registered Christians and 1 or so billion registered Muslims**) believe in an unverified deity/stories.

If a grown man was busy trying to convert you to Santaism* (the belief that Santa Claus is the Supreme Being), you'd think he's mad.

Children are also mildly mad at first when they're very young (from believing all of these wild stories).

If a man told you that he believes Madrada (his own created watchful guardian) is with him every minute of every day, you'd think him mad.

So, can those many billions not be said to have tacit mental illnesses? Do we not have a silent crisis on our hands?

And silly people say homosexuality is an 'illness' - how silly.

Thoughts?

** These numbers are not accurate and are only rough estimates for guidelines.

* I just created that name as an example. It is not in any dictionary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this is going to end well
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would not say it's a mental illness, because when you are brought up hearing that a certain religion is the truth, then you will start really believing it. for many people they might sound mad but it's not really their fault, they were induced to believe that...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-vs.-Chuck-Norris.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	148382

OP what exactly are you trying to do with threads like this? The majority of the world is theist and that's not going to change lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-vs.-Chuck-Norris.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	148382
    The majority of the world is theist and that's not going to change lol.
    What did you base that on - the book 'Dune'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Merely a by-product of our creativity and intelligence not necessary wrong but highly irrelevant.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    define illness.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stupid thread.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, a mentally ill person would be someone whose brain is operating in a way that is atypical of a normal person.

What we have here is brainwashing, which perfectly normal people are susceptible to.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, actually - the mad ones are those who don't believe in God. Our brains are wired up with a "god-shaped space" - even New Scientist thinks so, there was an issue on it a few weeks back. 90% of the planet is religious, just as 90% of the planet only lives until about 50 - at risk of sounding racist, many of us haven't come all that far since the caveman days.

That doesn't mean it's wrong to not believe in God, we do plenty of other things contrary to our nature but beneficial to our lives such as live in cities and develop medicine and whatnot. It's just that we rich people are very much unrepresentative of the human race.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Religious thought is an inherent part of human cognition - it's only that we have the luxury of education that we are mostly conditioned to overcome it. See Pascal Boyer for more information on this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    religion isn't a mental illness (this is coming from an atheist too) - in fact I'd go so far to say that it's people like you who create unneccesary tension between theists and non-thesits.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Many billions (if we are to just take the 2 or so billion registered Christians and 1 or so billion registered Muslims**) believe in an unverified deity/stories.

If a grown man was busy trying to convert you to Santaism* (the belief that Santa Claus is the Supreme Being), you'd think he's mad.

Children are also mildly mad at first when they're very young (from believing all of these wild stories).

If a man told you that he believes Madrada (his own created watchful guardian) is with him every minute of every day, you'd think him mad.

So, can those many billions not be said to have tacit mental illnesses? Do we not have a silent crisis on our hands?

Thoughts?

I know muslims who are convinced they have spoken to posessed peoeple (who randomly started communicating in many different languages), and some other ones who are convinced they know people who can see devils. They're mental.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We should define what is considered "normal mental health" first.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)

Thoughts?

I didn't know you had to sign up on a register
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You are going to hell, brah.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notwithstanding)
    I told you about Madrada in confidence!
    Now you have learned that none can be trusted. Although I could've told you that about the OP long time ago, he seems hell bent on creating the most obscure threads, using whatever random information he can locate.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Now you have learned that none can be trusted. Although I could've told you that about the OP long time ago, he seems hell bent on creating the most obscure threads, using whatever random information he can locate.
    The irony is unbearable.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    The irony is unbearable.
    I don't create obscure threads lol, the threads I make generally just emerge from already existing points.

By obscure I mean the threads about devils being good and religion being a mental illness.

Go learn the meaning of obscure before you patronize me again
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Believing in idiotic things does NOT equal mental illness. This is why saying evolution is a myth of the earth is flat isn't enough to get you admitted. That idiotic phrase "If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia" is also wrong because priest and religious people hear from God all the time or so they claim and they aren't admitted. We can rationally explain why people believe in God i.e. cultural context. Same with why some people are racist. Which is why they aren't admitted.

"A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological pattern, potentially reflected in behavior, that is generally associated with distress or disability, and which is not considered part of normal development of a person's culture. "

Very important wording. This is why the Aztec's won't be considered mentally ill for being cannibalistic but if someone was cannibalistic today they possibly would.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.