The Student Room Group

OCR C1 Mark Scheme 16/05/12 (NOT MEI)

Scroll to see replies

Physicsman: Yes, -2^2 does equal -4 because of BIDMAS... the power would be applied to the 2 before the - sign... so you square the two to get the 4 then apply the - to get -4
Reply 61
Original post by Ilyas
so, in the maticalical realm of PhysicsMan:

-1 x 2^2 = (-2)^2.

Let your post sit there whilst everyone laughs. :lol:

What?! You are obviously deranged, so much in fact that you are know making wild assertions and pretty much no sense.

Quite extraordinary.
Original post by PhysicsMan
-2^2 = -2 x -2 = 4

No.

-2^2 = -1 x 2 x 2 = -4.

You have to insert a bracket if what you say is true:

(-2)^2 = -2 x -2 = 4.
Reply 63
I'm not arguing with you, I'm trying to help you.

The usual interpretation of -2^2 is -(2^2) = -4.

If you want to be completely unambiguous you could write (-2)^2 for one case and -(2^2) for the other.
Original post by PhysicsMan
What?! You are obviously deranged, so much in fact that you are know making wild assertions and pretty much no sense.

Quite extraordinary.

Nevermind, I know you are trollin'. I can sense it... you're reeling everyone in to satisfy your own boredom.
Original post by Ilyas
Nevermind, I know you are trollin'. I can sense it... you're reeling everyone in to satisfy your own boredom.

How ironic...
Reply 66
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
For the midpoint question, did people get (10/3, -2)?

Yes, i got that :smile:
Overall I thought it was quite an easy paper, though having looked at the unofficial mark scheme I think I made stupid mistake in the first inequality (the one with the area being less than 112). Quite disappointing considering I had 30 mins checking time left at the end and didn't spot that :/
Does anyone remember how many marks it was worth?
Original post by Millyshyn
Overall I thought it was quite an easy paper, though having looked at the unofficial mark scheme I think I made stupid mistake in the first inequality (the one with the area being less than 112). Quite disappointing considering I had 30 mins checking time left at the end and didn't spot that :/

I think it was out of 80

I'm too scared to look at the mark scheme though...
Original post by garyheehee
I think it was out of 80

I'm too scared to look at the mark scheme though...

Whole paper is out of 72, I was wondering about the inequality question :smile:

I'm pretty sure out of the two inequality questions one was 5 and one was 6 marks, but I can't be sure. You might have only lost 1 or two answer marks :smile: Any chance you could post the unofficial mark scheme?
wasnt q9ii 20<7x+6<54 therfore x = 2 and 48/7? as it had a rectangle removed whereas 10x+6 was for the whole shape?
Whole paper is out of 72, I was wondering about the inequality question :smile:

whoops! my double bad... :colondollar:
Original post by Georgina :)
I'm pretty sure out of the two inequality questions one was 5 and one was 6 marks, but I can't be sure. You might have only lost 1 or two answer marks :smile: Any chance you could post the unofficial mark scheme?

It's here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2002488&p=37575218#post37575218

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending