The Student Room Group

can i sign on dole (JSA) in uni holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bengalisoldier
yes you can.

No you can't.
Original post by OU Student
Isn't it just inflation?:s-smilie:

Yes so as long as you put the money to some use then the it is worth borrowing because inflation means the value of money tommorow is less than today so if you get the money today and then pay it back when it is worth less.
Reply 22
Original post by Sternumator
Yes so as long as you put the money to some use then the it is worth borrowing because inflation means the value of money tommorow is less than today so if you get the money today and then pay it back when it is worth less.

Below real interest would mean that the interest rates would have to be below inflation. It tracks inflation or slightly above if you earning more than £21,000.

However it is still fantastic debt to take on.
Once we return to 1.5% inflation and 4% base rates you'd make a healthy profit.
Thats for if you are starting this year. If you are at uni now it is bank of england base rate plus 1% so 1.5% at the moment, inflation is more than that.
Original post by Shani
Shame it doesn't make your use of the English language stronger.

No, as a continuing student (who is not a parent etc) you will not be allowed to claim JSA.

Applying for it and not telling them you're a student would be fraud.

As you're so against haram, you should also be against fraud.

I don't think OP at any point advocated fraud ...
Reply 25
Original post by gemnomnom
I don't think OP at any point advocated fraud ...

I didn't say the OP was.

I merely stated the obvious.
Original post by Sternumator

And you may well never have the need to pay it all back
No, but if you could, that would be seriously awesome.

Sponging of the state for 7 months out of 12 is insufficient for greedy gutses like me.
Reply 28
Original post by BillyBongos
Student loan is accounted for as income when applying for benefits?

You're joking. A loan is NOT earned income, it is borrowed and has to be paid back. Are you sure? I would love to see this in print with some sort of law attached to it - i'm in shock!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_070816

Types of student support which are counted as income

Types of student support counted as income are:

•the majority of any Maintenance Loan you are entitled to, even if you choose not to take it out
•Adult Dependants' Grant
•Access to Learning Fund payments meant to help with general living costs (though in some circumstances, all or part of the payment may be disregarded)
•Maintenance Grant (available to full-time students who started their course in September 2006 or later)
•bursaries (available to full-time students who started their course in September 2006 or later) that are not for course-related costs, or childcare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending