Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I alone?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there any Christian or non-Christian who can identify with this?

I go to church every Sunday, but I have lost my faith in God. Or rather, my faith has become so vague that I'm not sure I can rationally call myself Catholic. Still I am powerfully drawn to go to mass and take part. The Catholic religion and the church feels like a very special place to me. However in conversation I find myself constantly drawn to slight its faults.

It disturbs me that this seems hypocritical, and disturbs me even more that I don't seem to care. Am I alone in this?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try being an Aston villa fan!

I get the same feeling yet I'm still there every home game and as many away games as possible despite losing my faith in their ability to win games. I think it's the tingling sensation that shoots through my Spine when the players first come out the tunnel and when we all the fans begin to sing. Knowing that everyone around despite all of their differences come together for that common cause.

It's magical, despite knowing that all of our efforts are pointless because well the outcome no matter how loud we sing and no matter how hard we try to believe, we all know that a loss or draw is the most likely outcome.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try having a tapeworm. You'll wish you were alone.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one else exists, only you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Don't actually believe in anything but still feel the need to turn up to church? Maybe you should try the Church of England?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's like drunks, they will slight alcohol, but keep going back there because it "feels good". That's why the bible warns about being drunk on the wine of her (the hartol's) fornication. Until you find something more powerful, more real, you are captive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like both the Aston Villa and the alcohol comparison!
    Anyone else do this?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celticgirl)
    I like both the Aston Villa and the alcohol comparison!
    Anyone else do this?
    No, you celtic scum
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I go to church every Sunday, but I have lost my faith in God. Or rather, my faith has become so vague that I'm not sure I can rationally call myself Catholic. Still I am powerfully drawn to go to mass and take part. The Catholic religion and the church feels like a very special place to me. However in conversation I find myself constantly drawn to slight its faults.

It disturbs me that this seems hypocritical, and disturbs me even more that I don't seem to care. Am I alone in this?
    I went through the same thing at 13.

My faith is long gone now.

I can understand why you still want to go to church. You feel like you belong to a group, you feel a part of something.

The thing is, that could be replaced with any social hobby.

I don't want to try to convert you to anything, or de-convert you (so to speak). So I will leave you with the knowledge that you aren't alone, and many go through the exact same feelings.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    No, you celtic scum
    :lol: you are hurting sooooo bad
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    :lol: you are hurting sooooo bad
    That's all you ever say, I don't know why...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    It's like drunks, they will slight alcohol, but keep going back there because it "feels good". That's why the bible warns about being drunk on the wine of her (the hartol's) fornication. Until you find something more powerful, more real, you are captive.

I'm not sure that substance addiction is all that comparable to the OP's situation, or to someone having casual sexual encounters. >_>

Plus that's just bull****. I'd rather be the captive of an 'addiction' to pussy than restrained by the belief in some bitchy omnipotent (well, he'd have you think he was, anyway, in your head, which is where he exists, and ... It all gets weird) being.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Everyone goes through periods of doubting, I am so glad I have started reading up on everything, even though some people have committed some terrible sins I still believe that God wouldn't let His Church teach the wrong things. Please keep going and keep praying to get through this.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

I hope this will be of some help.

It's my testimony about departing from the Catholic Church.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2000805

Blessings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the replies especially from Alpharius and R.P. who have felt something similar.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Celticgirl, greetings to you

You believe in Christianity with no faith, seek the truth that will find you.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Catholicism is very, very beautiful. The ritual of Mass, the beautiful churches, the unquestioning authority, the devotion to Mary, the mystery and very long history of the religion make for a very powerful combination.

I wouldn't mind becoming a Catholic, if I believed in God, it'd probably be my religion of choice.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

I was in a similar position about a year ago.

I'd been in the church for my whole life, and it was very much a part of me. I had always called myself a Christian because that was how I was brought up, and through most of my time at secondary school I had firmly defended myself/taken in good humour the 'banter' that I got off mates about my religion.

Depsite always calling myself a Christian, I'd been very unsure about it for my whole life, but the Church was like a second home to me, and I'd made some good friends through it.

Religion was sometimes a comfort to me, but I found that on thinking about it, the times in my life when I was most depressed was when I was really deeply 'in the church'. It sort of felt like I could never, ever be the ideal that the church expected of me, and I realised after not long that I was making myself incredibly unhappy by pretending to be something I wasn't.

I was quite lucky in that my Dad is not religious, although my Mum is, so the family has never been one that looks down on non-religious people. I decided I was agnostic, and my Mum found out only when I came to fill in the census and had to admit to being of 'no religion'. Very awkward for a while, but so worth getting it out in the open!

I think that for me, growing up in a Church has only been a good thing. It's made me strong enough to stand up for what I believe in, and has also given me a strong set of morals which I'm not sure would be quite the same otherwise. Whenever I go in a Church now, especially 'my' Church, I still feel very much comfortable and as if I am somewhere familiar.

But religion isn't for everyone. If you find yourself questioning it, then I really, honestly believe that the worst thing for you to do is pretend to still believe. It will only make you increasingly unhappy.

Remember that deciding for now that you don't know what you believe (or even saying 'I don't believe at all') isn't an irrevocable decision. You can always change your mind months/years down the line. Whether or not you do is irrelevant. You need to do what's best for you, not what's easiest, because those are two very different things.

You're definitely not alone. You just need to have the strength of character to be able to make your own decision and defend it.

Good luck x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your kind, sensitive and thoughtful post Sammy. It was really heartening to read and certainly gave me something to think about. Best of wishes!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Hi celticgirl. I can totally identify with this. I was once a devout evangelical Christian, who lost my faith when I was about 22 (four years ago now!), shortly after leaving university. I think the 'powerful draw' for me, even when my faith was clearly ailing, was because of the sense of community I experienced in my church. Many of my friends, both younger and older, were in the church, and having had been a Christian for a decade, this community was very much an intrinsic part of my life. It was a big painful step to detach myself from this.

I also felt a sense of slight hypocrisy: I will still praying, singing the hymns, studiously reading my Bible each morning, despite the fact that these things were gradually starting to feel hollow. So yes, you are definitely not alone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 6, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.