The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL: AS Music UNIT 3 - 21/5/12

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone here do the vocal works? I was thrown by the fact it was rock n' roll features of honey don't as supposed to rockabilly, so threw some features that were definitely rockabilly (eg blue notes) in at the end, do you think I'll get points for that...
Reply 121
Original post by blue-orangutan
Did anyone here do the vocal works? I was thrown by the fact it was rock n' roll features of honey don't as supposed to rockabilly, so threw some features that were definitely rockabilly (eg blue notes) in at the end, do you think I'll get points for that...

If you look at mark schemes for 10 mark answers they are not specific at all. Practically anything you write about the piece is marked correct - you'll be fine.
Reply 122
Original post by vivzcly
i put II7b as well :frown: coz i thought the Eflat is held so it's the 7th of the chord :s-smilie: what's the key of the piece:?

Yeah that's what I thought! The e flat was prepared and everything :s-smilie: the key must've been e flat major..can't remember though...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 123
Original post by tissue_26
Yeah that's what I thought! The e flat was prepared and everything :s-smilie: the key must've been e flat major..can't remember though...

Might have been a seventh I missed, one mark either way :smile:
The question for The beethoven give three features ne for harmony/phrase structure/ form- I put it was in sonata form, periodic balanced phrases and functional harmony with cadences it was 3 marks so i put one poit per mark!
Reply 125
Original post by Mburchett20
The question for The beethoven give three features ne for harmony/phrase structure/ form- I put it was in sonata form, periodic balanced phrases and functional harmony with cadences it was 3 marks so i put one poit per mark!

I put exactly the same! Haha

Reply 126

Yes I also put that :smile:
Reply 127
I think i got those answers for the Haydn except for the iiB. Think the four part harmony went well finished with a nice little tierce de picarde! Section B was good. How did everyone find section A? what was the answer for the relationship between the two parts (something like that on the question it was after the similarities and differences stuff). I put imitation is that correct? and for the chord i put Bb7- think its correct not sure thougg?? Hope its right!! :colondollar:

I also got a tierce de picardy :biggrin:
I think my chords for the harmony were ivb I V4 V3-7 I. (The 7th was a passing note)
Reply 128
i can't remember all of the questions, but this is what i got for some of them :smile:

Beethoven listening:
- tickboxes "4 string and 3 wind instruments"

- instruments and what they play: viola plays broken chords and cello plays bassline

- clarinet was the instruments playing the melody

- differences between bars 37-39(?) and bars 1-3: 37-39 were in Bb major, whereas 1-3 were in Eb major.
1-3 based on a rising sequence, whereas 37-39 was a descending staccato motif (there will be a few other answers for this)

- dominant 7th chord (Bb7 / V7)

- tickboxes "start of the exposition"

Weelkes listening:

- tickboxes "ballett"

- homorhythmic

- contrapuntal (maybe polyphonic? probably allow both)

- relationship between soprano lines: they imitate each other at unison

- perfect cadence in D major

- hemiola

- overall word setting: mainly syllabic

- treatment of the word "dancing": melismatic; set to a rising sequence; dotted crotchet, followed by quaver, followed by crotchet (giving a dance-like feel)

- tickboxes "binary form"

there are definitely a lot of questions missing there!!! but they are the ones i remember. for section C: chords and lines, i got chords ii7b, V7 and some others i cant remember. the SATB chorale was a perfect cadence in A minor. :biggrin: hope everyone felt it was alright :borat:
Original post by JordanK
i can't remember all of the questions, but this is what i got for some of them :smile:

Beethoven listening:
- tickboxes "4 string and 3 wind instruments"

- instruments and what they play: viola plays broken chords and cello plays bassline

- clarinet was the instruments playing the melody

- differences between bars 37-39(?) and bars 1-3: 37-39 were in Bb major, whereas 1-3 were in Eb major.
1-3 based on a rising sequence, whereas 37-39 was a descending staccato motif (there will be a few other answers for this)

- dominant 7th chord (Bb7 / V7)

- tickboxes "start of the exposition"

Weelkes listening:

- tickboxes "ballett"

- homorhythmic

- contrapuntal (maybe polyphonic? probably allow both)

- relationship between soprano lines: they imitate each other at unison

- perfect cadence in D major

- hemiola

- overall word setting: mainly syllabic

- treatment of the word "dancing": melismatic; set to a rising sequence; dotted crotchet, followed by quaver, followed by crotchet (giving a dance-like feel)

- tickboxes "binary form"

there are definitely a lot of questions missing there!!! but they are the ones i remember. for section C: chords and lines, i got chords ii7b, V7 and some others i cant remember. the SATB chorale was a perfect cadence in A minor. :biggrin: hope everyone felt it was alright :borat:

althought the first question on texture for weelkes at the words all shepherds as definently homphonic (tutti) you would lose a mark for homorythmic its not correct
Yeah i thought the instruments one of the instruments was playing a circle of 5ths. in Beethoven!!
for weelkes treating of dancing i put dotted (as in dotted rythms-long shor ryhtm), i also put the words were syncopated and for some reason menioned hemiola!!>? would this be ok??? x
Reply 132
for weelkes treating of dancing i put dotted (as in dotted rythms-long shor ryhtm), i also put the words were syncopated and for some reason menioned hemiola!!>? would this be ok??? x

It was not hemiola. The other stuff was probably right. Maybe you'd get some but not full marks.
Reply 133
althought the first question on texture for weelkes at the words all shepherds as definently homphonic (tutti) you would lose a mark for homorythmic its not correct

hmm, i'm not sure whether they will accept it- "homorhythmic" is a word used by edexcel in their in-depth analysis. Homorhythm is just a type of homophony, meaning all parts are moving with the same rhythm, which they do on "all shepherds..." To be honest, i think they will allow both :smile: If not, then oh well! :biggrin:
Not sure if you would get mark, theyr'e mark schemes are complicated you would most need to have written hompophony or tutti i checked in my anthology, and it came up as practise question in the book in the as 2012 book as homphony(tutti) nothing was said about being homorythmic particularly as this type of texture you would not find in the music of Weelkes. However if you wrote ontrapuntal/polyphonic for the next question on texture that would be right :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending