Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to get rid of instructor but...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing lessons since January and I think I'm doing pretty well; I've done most of the manoeuvres and I'm apparently test standard for quite a few things (maybe 7 things I'm not test standard for yet). The problem is I think my instructor's holding me back a bit to draw more money out of me; I keep asking when I'll be up to test standard on mirrors and things like that, but she keeps saying I "haven't had enough hours". I've had around 15-16 hours worth of lessons but she keeps stopping me from more built up areas even though I'm already capable so I can't move any higher on roundabouts yet.

Even worse, she says that I can't do a certain manoeuvre until I put in for my practical test which means more hours and more money; I used to pay in blocks of 10hrs but I can't afford that anymore.I also asked a few people I know who take the same instructor and they say the same thing; one person's paid for 35hrs but is still not at test standard because she's not letting her do certain things. She also keeps making excuses for when she can't do lessons, which means even more wasted time. I've also also asked those who have different instructors and some have passed even though we started at the same time, so I'm thinking it's a problem with my instructor.

My problem is that I want to get rid of my instructor but I'm a bit worried that I might have to start all over again or the new one might be worse. The instructor does have a sheet with my progress on it; could I ask for that when I go so I can give it to a new instructor? And how would I say to her that I want to get rid of her?

Anyway, has anyone replaced their instructor and had to start further back or were you allowed to pick up where you left off?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you feel your instructor isn't working for you, then stop going to her lessons!

I had three different instructors. The first time I changed because my teacher wasn't very good, the second was because I moved cities so had to change.

If you go to a new instructor, explain the situation to them and they'll take you on an assessment lesson to go through what you already know, and what you need work on and then they'll take it from there with your lessons.

You won't be going 'backwards' in your teaching at all, so don't worry about that

Just get a new instructor if your current one is making you unhappy/not being helpful!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I changed instructors twice before I found my current one who I'm happy with.

Don't carry on with someone you aren't happy with, you'll only be wasting money.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You really don't want to pay money to an instructor that does not teach you properly. I used to have an awful instructor once who was really judgemental and also incompetent. I only had a few lessons with her in order to realise that, and told her I would resume lessons after xmas. That was the last time I bothered being in contact with her.

Fast forward this year, and I have started lessons again with a much nicer instructor who is appropriate in his behaviour, down to earth, and very knowledgeable.

If at any point I felt he was holding me back from my exam, I would simply tell him I wish to take no further lessons. I've already got my test scheduled for next Tuesday, after having lessons twice weekly of 2h to start off with, then 1.5h, since Feb.

You should definitely start to go on dual carriageways, complex roundabouts, and do all the manoeuvres repeatedly as lessons go on. Every lesson, your instructor should start off by telling you what you're going to be doing, much like a school lesson. If you feel it's unnecessary, tell her you wish to move on.

If it's a clash of personalities (which is a terrible thing to live through, especially when YOU are paying), then simply switch instructors, and ask yourself "Could another instructor really be worse?"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I kept getting told by my first driving instructor that I'd pass my test my October, then December, then February, then June... in the end I got fed up as she constantly cancelled lessons, I'd missed 3 in a row. I went to my best friend's mum (she's a qualified driving instructor) and I have my test passed, it seems to be trial and error with instructors.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    My instructor was the same. When I insisted on going for the test in the end he told me to come the morning before for a 2 hour lesson.

Then, in the lesson, he told me I drive "too carefully", which could be marked down as "hesitation" (I wasn't hesitating at all, in fact I often speed when I forget to watch the meter).

The remedy for that, he said, was to press your foot down HARD on the gas as soon as you start driving so you go straight up to 30mph. He even demonstrated that himself, he started driving around aggressively for about 5 minutes.

Needless to say I wasn't too unpleased with that so I happily drove around with the car speeding up and stopping aggressively (more fun than the usual driving)

Needless to say I didn't pass.

He obviously wanted me to pay for more lessons after I failed.

The next time I went for my test was with the same instructor (laziness), but I didn't listen to anything he told me to do.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bpool1994)
    I've been doing lessons since January and I think I'm doing pretty well; I've done most of the manoeuvres and I'm apparently test standard for quite a few things (maybe 7 things I'm not test standard for yet). The problem is I think my instructor's holding me back a bit to draw more money out of me; I keep asking when I'll be up to test standard on mirrors and things like that, but she keeps saying I "haven't had enough hours". I've had around 15-16 hours worth of lessons but she keeps stopping me from more built up areas even though I'm already capable so I can't move any higher on roundabouts yet.

Even worse, she says that I can't do a certain manoeuvre until I put in for my practical test which means more hours and more money; I used to pay in blocks of 10hrs but I can't afford that anymore.I also asked a few people I know who take the same instructor and they say the same thing; one person's paid for 35hrs but is still not at test standard because she's not letting her do certain things. She also keeps making excuses for when she can't do lessons, which means even more wasted time. I've also also asked those who have different instructors and some have passed even though we started at the same time, so I'm thinking it's a problem with my instructor.

My problem is that I want to get rid of my instructor but I'm a bit worried that I might have to start all over again or the new one might be worse. The instructor does have a sheet with my progress on it; could I ask for that when I go so I can give it to a new instructor? And how would I say to her that I want to get rid of her?

Anyway, has anyone replaced their instructor and had to start further back or were you allowed to pick up where you left off?
    If you're not happy you should change, but honestly, 15/16 hours isn't exactly test ready! They say you should have about 30hours by the time you take your test, I had that, and a lot of my friends had to have more! That said, if you're not happy, you would probably learn faster with another instructor that you trust more, but then, there is always that worry that they wont let you take your test so you keep having more lessons with them! Maybe try a big company like AA where theyve always got a constant stream of students coming in so dont mind so much if they pass! They cost a little more, but you get what you pay for
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're unsatisfied then i'd definitely look for a new instructor. You could try and ask your friends and family if they had a good instructor that they would reccommend to you, I did this and got in contact with a great instructor, he was a funny guy and was honest in his teaching, if you were ready for the exam in 5 hours he'd put you forward.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like your instructor is holding you back, then stop going to her. It is your money and your time, she should be encouraging you and helping you instead of lowering your confidence....

I was with red, and I had a lousy instructor...but now my instructor is ACE and shes zoomed me through all the manouvres

Honestly the ball is in ur court love...x
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, you've been a massive help!
    I've decided to do one last lesson with her and say I'm going to take time out for my studies. I've been looking at driving schools and I think I've found a good one; wish me luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.