The Student Room Group

AQA MPC2 (Core 2) Exam June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by ashton.gibbs
Hiya, I believe this is what I did...

Made them equal to each other so.. (all logs here to base 10!)
1+2logx = log(x^2+1)
log10 + logx^2 = log(x^2+1)
log10x^2=log(x^2+1)
therefore 10x^2=x^2+1
which rearranges to get x= +1/3 and -1/3

you are told P is positive so its x coordinate must be +1/3
i subbed this into a starting equation to get y=log(10/9)

I then used gradient = rise/run

so gradient = (log(10/9))/(1/3)
=3log(10/9)
=log(10/9)^3
=log(1000/729)

hope this helps! :smile:

Quite annoying how easy that was ¬.¬, oh well only dropped 3 marks I think. What will it be for 100 UMS you reckon?
Original post by nathano14
So the exam is over, what did everyone think about it?

Mpc2 was pretty good, besides question 8 and 9 which took the piss since our teacher didnt teach up transformations and logs thoroughly... Q 8 & 9 was worth 23 marks alone by the way... i personally believe and A will be around 59-61 for an A...

If anyone can post an unofficial markscheme for mpc1.. DO IT!
What did you guys get for the trig identities question I got: 60 and 135 :s-smilie:
Reply 183
Original post by raheem94
(tanθ+1)(sin2θ3cos2θ)=0 (tan \theta + 1)(sin^2 \theta - 3 cos^2\theta) = 0

You will get two equations,
tanθ=1  and  sin2θ3cos2θ=0 tan \theta = -1 \ \ and \ \ sin^2 \theta -3 cos^2 \theta =0

The second equation can be simplified, sin2θ3cos2θ=0    sin2θ=3cos2θ    tan2θ=3    tanθ=±3 sin^2 \theta -3 cos^2 \theta =0 \implies sin^2 \theta = 3 cos^2 \theta \implies tan^2 \theta = 3 \implies tan \theta = \pm \sqrt3

when you divide Sin2x by sin2x doesn't it become 1 ? So therefore answer is 1/3
Reply 184
Original post by x_Raman_96
What did you guys get for the trig identities question I got: 60 and 135 :s-smilie:

60, 120 and 135
Original post by ryanboi
60, 120 and 135

****! Will I only lose 1 mark for missing 120? or 2?
Original post by madiha28
when you divide Sin2x by sin2x doesn't it become 1 ? So therefore answer is 1/3

I am dividing both sides by cos2θ cos^2 \theta
Reply 187
Original post by x_Raman_96
****! Will I only lose 1 mark for missing 120? or 2?

question is out of 3 marks so i guess 1 mark for each solution so yeah lose 1 mark i guess
Reply 188
I thought that paper was a lot harder than the past papers, so hopefully low grade boundaries.
I think I managed to get an answer for everything except that 'describe the stretch' log type question, which I screwed up. :frown:

fml. :frown:

C1 was alright though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mark17188
Quite annoying how easy that was ¬.¬, oh well only dropped 3 marks I think. What will it be for 100 UMS you reckon?

I seriously don't have a clue! I don't really understand how UMS works haha :tongue:
Original post by ashton.gibbs
I seriously don't have a clue! I don't really understand how UMS works haha :tongue:

last year 54 was an A but 75 was 100 as a reference.
Reply 191
Everything before question seven was fine. When it got to there, I died a little inside.
Reply 192
I thought most of the paper was easy just a few questions near the end were hard but to be honest core 1 was harder in my opinion
Reply 193
Did people get 222m^2 for the area of the shaded region? or there abouts?
Reply 194
Original post by rawwwr24
I thought most of the paper was easy just a few questions near the end were hard but to be honest core 1 was harder in my opinion

Yes last two questions in logs wer really harder than the past paper logs. C1 was pretty easy.
Reply 195
What did people get for Tan solutions? It was 4 marks and I thought all you had to do wan tan x = -1 so tan^-1 = -45 and then give solutions. But it seemed too easy for the marks, so it's probably wrong
Reply 196
Original post by iceman95
Yes last two questions in logs wer really harder than the past paper logs. C1 was pretty easy.

i don't think c1 was as easy I just think the whole of the exams have increased in difficulty and we haven't learnt it as well :/
Original post by b_ellis

Yes, I got the same answer as you.
Who remembers what the first derivative was, for the "find the equation of the curve" question?
Reply 199
Original post by b_ellis

I did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending