The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G481 Mechanics [Thursday 17th May 2012]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by gideongaspard
Well I'm not A level student I'm in yr 11 and will be doing Physics next year, How is Physics as an a level?
Is it hard?
Do you enjoy it?
What do I need to do to get As or A*s at a level Physics???
Please give you experiences.
Does a good sixth form matter?

Thanks and good luck with your exams :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Agreed with the person above, it is the hardest science in my opinion, and I've taken all 3, but it's sooo much more interesting than GCSE!
^

I'm going to be studying Eco&Stats at uni.

But have to admit Physics is by far my favourite subject at A-level (funny enough its the one I get the lowest grades in).

But you will love it, the way things fit together and come as a whole is brilliant, that's what makes the subject so interesting/enjoyable. Well in my opinion anyway.

Kind Regards,

D
*Cue this turning into a we love physics thread :wink:*
Original post by Charlottek12
It's hard but interesting, most people that I know love it! You need to do so much work continually all year, with frequent past paper questions on the topic that you're learning and keep up with definitions!
It's really really not enough to just revise for a couple of days before the exam - you literally have to never stop going over stuff that you've learnt!
I don't think a good sixth form matters much if you're willing to put the work in, but a dedicated teacher will definitely help!

Good luck at GCSE :biggrin: x

Thank you!
Reply 184
For the question on finding force constant of the spring, I put:

Measure original length of spring before mass is applied using ruler stick. Apply mass of 100g, then calculate length with mass applied. To find the extension, use original length-new length. To find the force applied on the spring, use 0.1xg. Using these figures we can apply them into F=kx, which is rearranged to k=F/x.

Is this correct? It sounded fine when I wrote it and it looks right now but it's normally wrong when I think that!
Reply 185
Original post by HarryW95
For the question on finding force constant of the spring, I put:

Measure original length of spring before mass is applied using ruler stick. Apply mass of 100g, then calculate length with mass applied. To find the extension, use original length-new length. To find the force applied on the spring, use 0.1xg. Using these figures we can apply them into F=kx, which is rearranged to k=F/x.

Is this correct? It sounded fine when I wrote it and it looks right now but it's normally wrong when I think that!

Sounds similar to what I've put down, hope its right

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 186
Original post by ss2012
Sounds similar to what I've put down, hope its right

Only thing is if that is right, I vaguely remember putting 100 x g for force instead of 0.1 x g. Ah well, just one mark I guess.
Reply 187
I think I messed my chance up with this exam tbh, made too many silly mistakes and it wasn't a hard exam it was just challenging. I guess Im gonna have to retake next year ;(

Original post by Kev.1995
Do you think they'll accept a range and my answer will be in the range? :smile:

No. As there were 2 values you were meant to use to calculate it. The acceleration of the sledge which was 2 and g which is 9.81.

mgsinθ=ma[br][br]canceloutthemasses[br][br]9.81sinθ=2[br][br]sin1(29.81)=11.8mgsin\theta = ma[br][br]cancel out the masses[br][br]9.81sin\theta = 2[br][br]sin^-1(\frac{2}{9.81}) = 11.8
Reply 189
for the question where you had so list the prefixes in order of magnitude from smallest to largest, it didnt ask you to write the actuall word prefixes out did it? because i only write the letters down in order.

after coming on here ive realised i got 1 or 2 questions wrong simply because i did not read them properly.
Reply 190
mark scheme anyone? or even the actual paper?
Reply 191
Original post by ReTurd
for the question where you had so list the prefixes in order of magnitude from smallest to largest, it didnt ask you to write the actuall word prefixes out did it? because i only write the letters down in order.

after coming on here ive realised i got 1 or 2 questions wrong simply because i did not read them properly.

Yup that seemed to be my problem in the exam. Need to really concentrate on what the questions say

Reply 192
Original post by ss2012
Yup that seemed to be my problem in the exam. Need to really concentrate on what the questions say

So did it ask for you to write out the actual prefixes as words or was it ok to leave them as their letters
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 193
I just put the prefix , I wasn't too bothered about putting the whole word

Reply 195
Original post by patterson
everyone's different. I flopped in jan paper. was kinda happy with this paper since 7mks was about vector and scalar quantity.

Imagine there was no young modulus, stress, strain skydiver and all that lol.

Hope everyone passes and the grade boundaries be very very low.

whoever is doing S1 tomorrow, goodluck because im doing it aswell.

yeah i thought i did well in the jan paper but i got a D! But this exam seemed much better! Ah yeah the first page was a dream.
How can i obtain this paper? Does anyone have it?
I took all 3 sciences at A level too, i got an A in physics at GCSE, but if your going to do it at A level it's soo much easier if your really good at maths, i only got a B at gcse for maths and i find some parts of it quite hard but overall its not that bad. I enjoyed it at GCSE but really find it boring at A level much prefer chem and bio.
Original post by Kev.1995
Agreed with the person above, it is the hardest science in my opinion, and I've taken all 3, but it's sooo much more interesting than GCSE!
Someone please help, i need projectile questions!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending