The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G481 Mechanics [Thursday 17th May 2012]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Username.
What do people reckon full ums boundary and A boundary will be

WHAT WAS THE ROCKETS ABOUT NET FORCE OR NET MOMENT? cause how can you assume that it creates a turning effect

Well in the CGP revision guide it says 'A couple doesn't cause any resultant linear force, but does produce a turning force' Its like a drill, how could a drill screw things in, if the torque (turning force) doesn't cause the end to rotate?
Reply 121
For the spring question

There were two ways of working out the power you could either use kx(squared)/time

OR

massxaccelerationxdistance over time

I worked out both ways gave the same answer of 2.6W.
Original post by Z REFAN Z
My answers that i can remember

Acceleration was a vector quantity in the scalar section
Radius of satellite was 10m (2 sf)
For the slope question had mgsin(θ)=ma rearranging gets sinθ =a/g then a=2ms squared and g =9.8ms squared so θ=11.8 (3 sf)
magnitude of resultant force was 120N-90N (vertical component ) and horizontal component 18N, using Pythagoras got magnitude 35N (2 sf) and using inverse tan(30/18) got angle between resultant force and horizontal θ= 59.0
Velocity of horizontal component of projectile motion =24cos30
Velocity of vertical component of projectile motion =24sin30
Last question - Underwater turbines produce less noise pollution ? and absence of wind turbines makes environment aesthetically pleasing?
Satellite question - When both rockets are fired the satellite acts as a couple? there is rotation about a point but no linear acceleration ? and only when A is fired there is clockwise/anticlockwise motion not sure which way.
X is brittle where once the material exceeds its elastic limit it breaks. The material obeys hooke's law. The ultimate tensile strength of the material is where material breaks.
Y- Does not obey Hooke's law. When the force is removed the material returns to its original dimensions.

I got all the same answers and you did. Apart from the last question. :smile: I put something different which I think was wrong :/ But still happy :smile:
why is it not 1/2 kx^2
Original post by JohnSimmons
It was a glider and a spring. You had previously worked out the force. You are then given a time of 0.094 seconds (I think) and are told to work out the rate of work done.

Original post by Ihatemathsexams
Well there was a spring with force constant 50 and was compressed by 0.07 metres. The time the force was applied for - or something like that - was 0.094 seconds.
Really interested as to how everyone got 2.6 as i could not do this question for the life of me!

Original post by James_Rogers
Wasn't the energy stored in the spring 1/2kx^2
So the energy stored was 0.5 x 50 x 0.07^2 = 0.1225 j
So energy done per second is 0.1225 / 0.094 = 1.30

I left my answer as 1.30 so I must of missed something... but oh well.

Original post by JuxtaposedJames
I got 2.6 but just realised its 1.3

I did work done/time

So I did the force x distance / time

However work done for a spring is area under a graph

So its half the force times distance / time which is 1.3

Bugger

Original post by JuxtaposedJames
I think everyone did as everyone thinks 2.6 is the right answer...

This Is What I did, i cant remember if i got the very final answer tho:

1/2kx^2=fx

1/2x50x0.07^2=fx0.07 then...

rearranging gives: F=1.75

then.... work done= 1.75x0.07=0.1225

THEN.....

power= 0.1225/0.094= 1.30
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 125
I starting to feel better after reading other peoples answers, the ones i messed up on were the one near the start (probably really simple!) where there was a graph and it said determine the angle to the slope?

Got all the calculations bar one mark i think, but messed up the 2nd last question-- hopefully A/B.

Now for Core 2 maths tomorrow! fml :L
Reply 126
Original post by James_Rogers
why is it not 1/2 kx^2

to be honest i don't know , i believe the 1/2 only applies for areas under an force/extension (or length) graph.

The reason i put 2.6W was because i used the other way to work out power. Where mass x acceleration x distance (extension) divided by time gave the same answer.

Original post by Beresford George
I got all the same answers and you did. Apart from the last question. :smile: I put something different which I think was wrong :/ But still happy :smile:
GG :biggrin:
I reckon 44 will be A
to be honest i don't know , i believe the 1/2 only applies for areas under an force/extension (or length) graph.

The reason i put 2.6W was because i used the other way to work out power. Where mass x acceleration x distance (extension) divided by time gave the same answer.

GG :biggrin:

The work which a spring does is 1/2Fx or 1/2kx^2, as thats its elastic potential energy; anyway what do you reckon full ums boundary will be
Reply 129
The work which a spring does is 1/2Fx or 1/2kx^2, as thats its elastic potential energy; anyway what do you reckon full ums boundary will be

Yeah i think your right about 1/2kx(squared) so it must be 1.3W. i thought the A grade will be slightly lower 45/60 as it seemed alot harder compared to other past papers :/ but its only my opinion :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah i think your right about 1/2kx(squared) so it must be 1.3W. i thought the A grade will be slightly lower 45/60 as it seemed alot harder compared to other past papers :/ but its only my opinion :biggrin:

i think it would be low aswell im hoping 81/90 UMS is no more than 50/60 raw marks, but i didnt find the paper really hard as such, but it was hard and just really really weird compared to past papers,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 131

for the further reason why it is better for last question i said about energy supply is constant

i thought it was because there was no movement in the vertical direction?
Original post by TheresaL
What did you guys get for the radius? 10?

Thats what i got :smile:
Original post by ingeek2010
Cannot believe car safety or GPS did not come up... unbelievable

well that came up in the Jan exam. i thought this was easier than Jan exam
Original post by striver17
i thought it was because there was no movement in the vertical direction?

not sure :/, but because that turbine was in the water, so water will always be available to make electrical power, and a wind turbine relies on there being wind, if no wind, no energy can be produced
Reply 135
how long until a mark scheme will be available? official or unofficial? quickly forgetting all the questions.
Reply 136
not sure :/, but because that turbine was in the water, so water will always be available to make electrical power, and a wind turbine relies on there being wind, if no wind, no energy can be produced

makes sense
THAT WAS SO HARD :eek:
Does anyone reckon they got 53+
Don't know why everyone got 2.6W for the spring one... I got 1.3W and I think (hope) that was right!
The others I can remember were:

11.8 degrees for the slope
10m radius for the turbine
27.3% efficient for turbine
119Kg mass of the rider
7.33m height of the ball
59 degrees for the balloon angle
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending