Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers May 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what question 7 was as i didn't get the answer stated by Mr M, thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I've lost between 9 and 12 marks, therefore got between 83% and 88%, and I'm doing Further Maths. How worried should I be?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenann)
    well, that's what exams do to us right?

i did both, but i'm almost certain either will suffice because it is easier to recognise sqrt20 < sqrt25 than 2sqrt5 < sqrt25 or 5, which is why i simplified the surds then in brackets explained the alternate, both in sqrt(k) form.
    I said that that the root 20 was less than the diameter, but should still be ok as the diameter was 10 I think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverslacker)
    I think I've lost between 9 and 12 marks, therefore got between 83% and 88%, and I'm doing Further Maths. How worried should I be?
    Same here, possibly even more. I don't suppose you remember what question 7 was?? thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by As_Dust_Dances_)
    I said that that the root 20 was less than the diameter, but should still be ok as the diameter was 10 I think.
    Yeah, that's true, but I think you needed to say it was less than the radius. If a line coming from the center of a circle is shorter than the diameter, the nedpoint can still be outside the circle.

For the sqrt20 thing, I didn't actually mention that sqrt20=2sqrt5. lost one mark, maybe?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi would I lose marks for not putting fractions in the simplest form?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's true, but I think you needed to say it was less than the radius. If a line coming from the center of a circle is shorter than the diameter, the nedpoint can still be outside the circle.

For the sqrt20 thing, I didn't actually mention that sqrt20=2sqrt5. lost one mark, maybe?
    Hopefully they'll understand (I dunno) :/ I've already lost about 4 or 5 marks.. For the sqrt20, it didn't ask for a simplified answer so it should be okay I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For question 2ii) would I get a mark for re-arranging to get rid of the surd off the bottom?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samhague)
    Same here, possibly even more. I don't suppose you remember what question 7 was?? thanks
    The question was something like x+6(sqrt(x))-2=0 (don't know how to write that properly here)

You had to sub in y=sqrt(x), therefore:

(y^2)+6y-2=0

Then use the quadratic formula, which I forgot, so I lost probably 4 marks there.

I think that's right, anyway. perhaps Mr. M can confirm?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Overall, it was a standard paper so I'm hoping the grade boundaries are about average so 58ish for an A.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you please do the Aqa core and core 2 for may 2012 and give me the paper and model answers?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The question was something like x+6(sqrt(x))-2=0 (don't know how to write that properly here)

You had to sub in y=sqrt(x), therefore:

(y^2)+6y-2=0

Then use the quadratic formula, which I forgot, so I lost probably 4 marks there.

I think that's right, anyway. perhaps Mr. M can confirm?

thanks very much
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot sir

Darn you C1, pretty straight forward paper; but damn those silly mistakes! Hoping for an A.

Hope everyone else did well
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    just to confirm, there wasn't a question that required rationalising right? because i didn't rationalise at all in this paper.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for these answers! Could you go through what we needed for each mark on the very last question please? I have screwed up here :/
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    just to confirm, there wasn't a question that required rationalising right? because i didn't rationalise at all in this paper.
    Yeah I didn't either. Found it a bit odd considering there was a rationalising question in basically every past paper!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope
    If only
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benex381)
    no
    Oh gawd
    If I revise extra hard and get 100% in C2, what's the lowest I can have got in C1? Currently I'm looking at 83-88%
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh gawd
    If I revise extra hard and get 100% in C2, what's the lowest I can have got in C1? Currently I'm looking at 83-88%
    I got 82% - 86%, do you think that's enough for an A???

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 5, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.