The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

I have a few questions;

for question 9i) i put fractions instead of decimals - e.g. 14/10 instead of 1.4 - would i still get all the marks?

for 10i) i only got the centre right, and not the radius, would this be 1 or 2 marks?
for 10iii) i got the 2root5 - but not that it was inside the circle, how many would i get for this?

Thank you!
Original post by samhague
I think i got between 59 and 62 out of 72, i.e. 82% - 86% do you think this is enough for an A

Looking at the past papers and their grade boundaries:
A B
Jan-07: 63 55
Jun-07: 60 52
Jan-08: 58 50
Jun-08: 63 55
Jan-09: 57 50
Jun-09: 58 51
Jan-10: 56 48
Jun-10: 58 50
Jan-11: 54 47
Jun-11: 61 54
Jan-12: 57 50

With the average for an A being 59 and B being 51. The grade boundary for an A has never exceeded 63, so I think this year, considering how straight forward the paper was; the A boundary should be in the region 60-63.

That's what my teacher was telling me today :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by abzy1234
Nope :smile:
If only

Original post by halii_94
Yeah I didn't either. Found it a bit odd considering there was a rationalising question in basically every past paper!

oh, thank god. when i was going through the past papers and misinterpreted one of the rationalization questions, my thoughts were 'oh yeah, i thought it was weird i didn't rationalizse in that paper', good thing that doesn't apply here...

Original post by abzy1234
Looking at the past papers and their grade boundaries:
A B
Jan-07: 63 55
Jun-07: 60 52
Jan-08: 58 50
Jun-08: 63 55
Jan-09: 57 50
Jun-09: 58 51
Jan-10: 56 48
Jun-10: 58 50
Jan-11: 54 47
Jun-11: 61 54
Jan-12: 57 50

With the average for an A being 59 and B being 51. The grade boundary for an A has never exceeded 63, so I think this year, considering how straight forward the paper was; the A boundary should be in the region 60-63.

That's what my teacher was telling me today :smile:

thanks for this! if i wanted to go for an A* for the two years, would an anticipated 70/72 compensate and allow me to get around 65 for C2?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by kenann
oh, thank god. when i was going through the past papers and misinterpreted one of the rationalization questions, my thoughts were 'oh yeah, i thought it was weird i didn't rationalizse in that paper', good thing that doesn't apply here...

thanks for this! if i wanted to go for an A* for the two years, would an anticipated 70/72 compensate and allow me to get around 65 for C2?

to get an A* you need to get an Average of roughly 90% or above in all the A2 papers (c3 and c4).

So aim in the range of 65- 72 in the papers.

For AS modules, you need 80%.
Reply 104
Mr M, for Q 7 i didnt simplify 10 16, i left as 9+7+ root7 etc, my question is how many mark do you think i will have dropped because i STUPIDLY forgot to simplify?
Original post by Chocoholic1994Asks
Hi Mr M,

Thanks for posting these answers! :smile:
I got q. 6 wrong, but my method was mostly right, so how many marks would I drop?
I also got (20/3, -4) (forgot to divide by 2 to get the midpoints :mad:) So how many marks would I get for that?

Also do you know what the raw marks usually are to get full ums on a C1 paper??

Q6 can't tell without seeing your method

midpoint probably drop one mark

depends on the other boundaries
Original post by samjj8
Do I loose anything for question 9ii) for leaving my answers as top heavy fractions? 14/10 instead of 1.4...

That's fine
Original post by ahmedeedat
For question 4ii) If i completed the square incorectly could I still get the marks for the vertex anyone,thanks?

At least 1 mark and maybe both
i wrote translation 4 units parallel to the x-axis.. do you think i'll get the 2 marks?

Also for 9i) I put -7<x<4 how many marks will i get?
Original post by amazon123456789
wasnt q9ii 20<7x+6<54 therfore x = 2 and 48/7? as it had a rectangle removed whereas 10x+6 was for the whole shape?

The perimeter of the rectangle with a bit removed is exactly the same as the perimeter before the bit was removed
Original post by samjj8
Ooh question 2ii as well. I forgot to complete it as 7^K

I just did (root7)/49... do I get a mark for that at least?

I don't think so.
Original post by mortaz786
Hi Mr M
The only mistakes I see that I made was
9 i) i put -7<x<4

I mark dropped i guess?

10)iii) I left the length of the line as root 20 and didn't simplify but stated it was inside the circle. Will i drop a mark for not simplifying the surd.

also 9 ii) I left the answers in fractions in their simplest form, will i be penalized?

5)iii) is drawing the root sign only on the numerator but then not on the 5 going to drop a mark?

Thanks in advance

9) drop 1 mark

10) no problem with not simplifying

9ii) fractions are fine

5iii) yes drop 1 mark
Original post by kenann
will i drop a mark for saying the discriminant is less than 0 for the last question but not stating what the discriminant is?

i did do some working out, but i left it in the form (number - larger number) under the sqrt sign in the quadratic equation

i also didn't consider x not being negative which brings me down 2 marks in total ):

that working out doesn't sound like it will be a problem as long as it was clear you had a negative number
Also on the last part of 10, I got the right answer but i used pythag's theorem which isn't geometrically.. wil i score nothing?
Original post by Mr M
Possibly none - all depends on how generous they feel.

none hmm?

but it's not the same thing.. is it lol?
Original post by benex381
In January i was 57/72 for an A and 50/72 for a B.

Do you think i will only drop 2 marks for using (10y + 3) and getting the range as 1.7<x<5.1, like many others have done?

Dropping 2 marks sounds reasonable
Original post by Kabelan1
i think i got 55≥x≥61 marks

x cannot be greater than or equal to 61 and less than or equal to 55 at the same time
Mr M for Q6 I got the wrong gradient for the tangent but did the rest with the right method I think, how many marks would I lose?
Original post by ExamPressure
Thanks for the answers, Mr.M.

For 9 ii), I completely misread the question and thought they were asking for the tile that had been removed. So I got my answer as 10/3 <= y <= 9. Would I get any marks for this or would my stupidity gain no marks (which would be understandable).

I really don't know - if a lot of candidates did it (I don't think they would have) then you might get some credit
Original post by tahseen1995
For question 10 (iii) did you have to give the answer in simplified surd form, or was stating that 'Root(20)<Root(25) therefore P is in circle' be sufficient?

that's fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending