The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JackyVO
Today was a faill indeed...........i have to get like 100% tomorrow :s-smilie:

Pray for me !

Your first post on tsr and it's about this :'( We must pray Jacky
what did you guys put for the last answer of yesterday's paper? I hardly caught any of it :frown:
Reply 22
It's usually around 86/87% for an A* (that's including the Reading & Writing paper). I did it last year though, but I have heard about the horrors of the listening paper.
I'm worried now I'll get penalised for writing too much on the last question of the reading and writing paper - I wrote way over 150 words.. more like 500 words... Will I get marked down?
Reply 24
Original post by taylorswiftx
I'm worried now I'll get penalised for writing too much on the last question of the reading and writing paper - I wrote way over 150 words.. more like 500 words... Will I get marked down?

I think they just stop marking after a certain amount of words. You won't have marks deducted though, they'll just stop marking.
So if my use of other tenses is further down on the page, will it not get counted? :s-smilie:
come to think of it (after thinking how big the lines were) it was probably more like 220 words.. :s-smilie: still worried..
Reply 27
For the 50 words one today...I kinda managed to write 100 words. Will I get severely marked down for that? I have small writing so it loos like I wrote the same as other people.
Original post by timtim123
For the 50 words one today...I kinda managed to write 100 words. Will I get severely marked down for that? I have small writing so it loos like I wrote the same as other people.

I did pretty much the same...

I wrote like 90 for the 50 words. And 220 for the 150 words. Why oh why I did that I have no idea.. I soooo hope it doesn't negatively impact my marks.
Reply 29
Most examiners would just stop marking after around about 50 words. The point in these excercises is for candidates to be as concise as possible therefore it would be a little unfair for them to carry on marking the writing of someone who has well exceeded the word limit in order to include as much vocabulary as possible.
Can someone someone post the answers for the French Listening paper.
Reply 31
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Can someone someone post the answers for the French Listening paper.

They won't have them out so soon.
Reply 32
Original post by Immyx
Most examiners would just stop marking after around about 50 words. The point in these excercises is for candidates to be as concise as possible therefore it would be a little unfair for them to carry on marking the writing of someone who has well exceeded the word limit in order to include as much vocabulary as possible.

That's not true. At IGCSE level they are much more lenient and do not penalize for those who go over the word count, that is simply there as a rough guidance of how much one should write. Mark schemes do not instruct examiners to stop marking after the 50th or 150th word.

There is a reason why it say AROUND 50 words and AROUND 150 words.

People who wrote plenty, don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by YoshBanosh
They won't have them out so soon.

No I mean anyone who did the paper knows what they wrote, don't they? So don't they have the patience to bust their brains and post what they thought the answers were. Then we can compare and see if who is right.
So anyone can post an unofficial mk soon?
You won't get full marks if you write 200 words brilliantly
I think its 1 mark out every 12 extra words to a max of 5.
So those who surpassed the word limit horribly Bad luck for not reading the question properly.
Their fault
Reply 35
Original post by sbobat
That's not true. At IGCSE level they are much more lenient and do not penalize for those who go over the word count, that is simply there as a rough guidance of how much one should write. Mark schemes do not instruct examiners to stop marking after the 50th or 150th word.

There is a reason why it say AROUND 50 words and AROUND 150 words.

People who wrote plenty, don't worry too much :smile:

We had an IGCSE marker come in and talk to us and he said the word AROUND means 10% either way- so between 135 and 165 words for the long passage and over 45 and 55 words for the shorter passage. He said the examiners are likely to stop marking the work of candidates which exceed the upper boundaries.
Reply 36
Is this Edexcel IGCSE or CIE IGCSE?
Reply 37
Whatever it is it will definitely drop. This year's listening was tough.

Original post by Prii21

Edexcel Todays exam
Reply 39
Edexcel Todays exam

oh okay! its so confusing to know which thread is about Edexcel or CIE :s-smilie:
Anyways, thanks :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending