The Student Room Group

How will they react?

I have always wanted to be a vet and got great GCSE grades and have quite a lot of work experience. This year things havent gone so well for me and I am in hospital with anorexia. I am taking one AS this year and then repeating the year in order to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths AS and A level. I will then apply to vet school. I am worried that my eating disorder will automatically cause the vet schools to discard me as weak yet I can not conceal it as I have had to take a year out. I try to think positively and think that perhaps I can use this to make my application stronger but realistically I think I am unlikely to be considered even though I think I have the potential and ability to fulfill all the other requirements. What do you think?
Reply 1
If you are honest and truthful from the start of you application with the vet schools, there is absolutely NO reason for the vetschools to hold this against you at all. You are showing that you are completely determined to be a vet - by doing and planning to do all the alevels you need. They will not immeditaley discard you for having an eating disorder at all (1 -they are not allowed ot in the first place!!)- as long as you have the grades and experienc -they'll want you!!n So keep positve, and just go for it!!

Good luck!:smile:
Reply 2
The eating disorder doesn't show that your weak- it doesn't reflect your personality! What does is how you recover from it and still go onto get the grades, work experience etc to get in!!! Like Arwen said as long as you have the entry requirements this will only strengthen your application!!!
Reply 3
i don't think having an eating disorder will disadvantage your application in any particular way, and im sure the schools will take into account what you've gone through when considering you. just try and as much work experience as you can to show your determination! hope you get better soon :frown:
Reply 4
Hi! Go you! I think its brill that you're stronger and going for it! You're doing the right subjects and and going the right way about it so don't worry. Make sure you're brave at interview and you'll do fine.

If they are at all wary about what happened to you, which is unlikely, its more likely that they're concerned with how you deal with things emotionally/mentally- as there is a clause about mental health in the RCVS constitution to practice. It's unlikely- They tend to be more bothered about those with a history of depression or alcoholism.

It probably won't even be questioned why you're a year older applying, if it is, as soon as they see what an ace vet student you'll make i'm sure they won't bat an eyelid though! All the best.
Reply 5
Don't worry hon, concentrate on getting better + not worrying about it. Time for you to look after yourself before you immerse yourself in the stress of A-levels/ uni etc.
They won't dismiss you for it, especially if they can see what a strong person you are for not giving up despite what you're going through.
I disclosed information about my eating disorders to Nottingham with my application (they seemd quite insistant you tell them any health info, think its because they adapted the med school applications for the vets). They gave me an interview anyway and I'm still waiting to hear, but if they reject me it will be because my interview didn't go too well.
I'm not so worried about the exams in summer- happy with my results so far- but I'm screwed up with eating and know I need to sort that out as a priority. You can go back and do your A-levels any time, it's your health that matters most.
Take care + good luck,
Lucy xxx
^ a friend of mine has been hospitalised and suffered from an ED for much of her teenage years. Another was ED'ed during her A levels. Both still are and are attending two of the best Vet schools in the country (Cambridge and Bristol).

Focus your efforts at the moment on recovery. It really won't impact your app much. Good luck!
Reply 7
Unis are usually really sympathetic to illnesses, eating disorders and the like...if there not, then that uni isn't worth going to! Just do your best and I'm sure you'll get into a gr8 uni! if it helps I've missed a lot of A levels due to ME etc...and there's a lot ur school or college can do like writing to exam boards or ur prospective unis! Good luck!!
Reply 8
Me again! Thanks for all your words of support. As things turned out I'm doing both my AS and A levels this year and planning my discharge from any further treatment next Summer. I'm predicted 3As so am currently deliberating whether to apply this year or not. In terms of work experience I've been working at a vets on reception and assisting nurses etc. for a year, done 2 weeks lambing, 1 week on a dairy farm, 1 week RSPCA, 1 week lab work and been riding 8 years having worked at various stud, livery and riding schools. I just don't know whether to apply. I know I am strong enough for university but its whether my application would be more likely of success after a gap year when I can say I've finished treatment. I'm worried the minute they see "mental health" on UCAS I'll be discarded. I am also on anti depressants - is that going to seriously effect my application? Does anyone know of the university's reactions to these sorts of things or have any idea which ones it would be my best bet to apply to? Any thoughts would be great.
Well done you, it sounds like you're doing great. I don't know about the universities' views on these things, but I would imagine that getting a supporting letter from your doctor, stating that in his/her opinion you are sufficiently recovered to become a vet student might help. I don't think they can discard your application just because of your eating disorder. It sounds like you've got a good amount of experience and your grades are good, so applying this year might be worth a go. If fo some reason you don't get in this year, you can always apply again next year- I know lots of people who didn't get in first time round but tried again and got a place. You could ring/email the universities and outline your situation and ask what their views/policies are.

Hope it goes well for you :smile:
Just thought I'd drop a line to say that one, well done for being so mature about all this and I really wish you the best of luck with your application and two, there are at least two girls at the RVC who are visibly suffering from eating disorders so clearly it is not something they will use to discriminate against you. I hope you are well on the way to a full recovery.