The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

The Maltings 2012/13 *Group + Information wanted*

Hey, just a thread to meet others staying at the Maltings. Also wondering if anyone know what the rooms look like in building 1, I can only find building 2 examples. I'm guessing they're similar, but I just want to drool over it a bit! Thanks, and see you around! :biggrin:
I'm in the Maltings now, and I guess building 1 is the new block?

I'm in the old block, and as far as I know the rooms are bigger here BUT block 1 is newer and has nicer kitchens etc.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
There's a FB group with a few people in already http://www.facebook.com/groups/227838227327330/
Reply 3
Original post by Shutter_bug
I'm in the Maltings now, and I guess building 1 is the new block?

I'm in the old block, and as far as I know the rooms are bigger here BUT block 1 is newer and has nicer kitchens etc.

Ah thank you, yeah building one seems to be the new one, do you know if they're much smaller than the ones in 2? i'm more curious than anything because i can only find photos of the bedrooms in your building :smile: I also have a question on do we have to take duvets and pillows or are they provided?

Original post by AlexCrisp1991
There's a FB group with a few people in already http://www.facebook.com/groups/227838227327330/

Yeah I found that group too thanks :smile:

Thanks everyone :smile:
Original post by onyxmagic
Ah thank you, yeah building one seems to be the new one, do you know if they're much smaller than the ones in 2? i'm more curious than anything because i can only find photos of the bedrooms in your building :smile: I also have a question on do we have to take duvets and pillows or are they provided?

Yeah I found that group too thanks :smile:

Thanks everyone :smile:

I don't think they're massively smaller, but in all honestly I haven't actually been in building 1.

Yeah you have to take your own duvets and pillows. In your room you'll get a desk, wardrobe, bed (Which you can put stuff under), ethernet cable, a little welcome box....Pretty much it. Everything else you have to supply :smile:
Reply 5
I don't think they're massively smaller, but in all honestly I haven't actually been in building 1.

Yeah you have to take your own duvets and pillows. In your room you'll get a desk, wardrobe, bed (Which you can put stuff under), ethernet cable, a little welcome box....Pretty much it. Everything else you have to supply :smile:

Thanks you've been great, anything else you wish you knew before going ? :smile:
Thanks you've been great, anything else you wish you knew before going ? :smile:

This is general student living but I'd wish I'd known not to leave any of my stuff out like cutlery, plates etc because people will use it and leave it dirty on the side or it'll go missing altogether (So keep stuff like pans in your room if you can), and also people will eat your food so lock your cupboard :smile:

I'd also wish I'd not underestimated how slow the internet is :P But it finally got upgraded in March so it's fairly fast now. Only get the 10mb package because you'll save £40 and it's fast anyway :smile:

Argue with taxi drivers because to the Maltings it's £8 but they'll always try get you to pay £10.

But to be honest, I've liked living in the Maltings :smile: It's not too far away from the inner city, enough distance to wake you up on the journey into uni which doesn't really take that long. There's a bus stop right outside and you get the 70 or 71 to the city which takes about 15 and then a 5 minute walk to uni.

There is also the tram, but I don't think you get the tram pass next year? It's £3.50 for an all day ticket on the tram, but you can get passes and stuff anyway. If you or any friends are at Clifton campus, there is a bus that goes straight from Basford to Clifton rather than having to go into town (The L53)

Hope that's all helpful anyway! :smile: Have fun next year!
Reply 7
This is general student living but I'd wish I'd known not to leave any of my stuff out like cutlery, plates etc because people will use it and leave it dirty on the side or it'll go missing altogether (So keep stuff like pans in your room if you can), and also people will eat your food so lock your cupboard :smile:

I'd also wish I'd not underestimated how slow the internet is :P But it finally got upgraded in March so it's fairly fast now. Only get the 10mb package because you'll save £40 and it's fast anyway :smile:

Argue with taxi drivers because to the Maltings it's £8 but they'll always try get you to pay £10.

But to be honest, I've liked living in the Maltings :smile: It's not too far away from the inner city, enough distance to wake you up on the journey into uni which doesn't really take that long. There's a bus stop right outside and you get the 70 or 71 to the city which takes about 15 and then a 5 minute walk to uni.

There is also the tram, but I don't think you get the tram pass next year? It's £3.50 for an all day ticket on the tram, but you can get passes and stuff anyway. If you or any friends are at Clifton campus, there is a bus that goes straight from Basford to Clifton rather than having to go into town (The L53)
Hope that's all helpful anyway! :smile: Have fun next year!

You are a STAR!!! thanks for all the information :smile:, sounds like a great place to live. One last question (sorry sorry!), is their a nearby chip shop, i was trying to find one off Google, to no prevail... I did find the local pubs though haha! :biggrin:
You are a STAR!!! thanks for all the information :smile:, sounds like a great place to live. One last question (sorry sorry!), is their a nearby chip shop, i was trying to find one off Google, to no prevail... I did find the local pubs though haha! :biggrin:

I'm more than happy to help! :smile: Oh yeah, for Pubs you wanna go the Fox and Crown around the corner on the way to the tram stop. Sundays & Mondays there's a quiz at 9pm which is 50p and you get your tea included in it! :smile: (Help yourself to chips, bread and usually chilli or stew).

There is a chippy near by and a Mcdonalds aswell as a Tesco petrol station and a Sainsbury's (Which I work in ^^). They're all within 10 minutes walk :smile: If you go out the gate which will be on your right from the new block, turn right again, follow the road, go over the little footbridge on the left, you'll see Mcdonalds and the Tescos, if you carry on to the crossroad and turn right you'll see Sainsburys and opposite Sainsburys there's a chippy :smile:

Dominoes also deliver to The Maltings, as for other takeaways loads of leaflets get dropped off through the year. As for Chinese takeaways, we've gone Tung Fong because they do a meal deal with a starter, side, and main for about £5/6 :biggrin:

If there's absolutely anything else you think of, I'll try help you :biggrin:
Reply 9
I've applied for accommodation here for September. Building 2 I think, anyone else there?
Reply 10
I'm more than happy to help! :smile: Oh yeah, for Pubs you wanna go the Fox and Crown around the corner on the way to the tram stop. Sundays & Mondays there's a quiz at 9pm which is 50p and you get your tea included in it! :smile: (Help yourself to chips, bread and usually chilli or stew).

There is a chippy near by and a Mcdonalds aswell as a Tesco petrol station and a Sainsbury's (Which I work in ^^). They're all within 10 minutes walk :smile: If you go out the gate which will be on your right from the new block, turn right again, follow the road, go over the little footbridge on the left, you'll see Mcdonalds and the Tescos, if you carry on to the crossroad and turn right you'll see Sainsburys and opposite Sainsburys there's a chippy :smile:

Dominoes also deliver to The Maltings, as for other takeaways loads of leaflets get dropped off through the year. As for Chinese takeaways, we've gone Tung Fong because they do a meal deal with a starter, side, and main for about £5/6 :biggrin:

If there's absolutely anything else you think of, I'll try help you :biggrin:

Wow 50p!!! that's amazing!! and the Chinese is so much cheaper than where I live now!! :biggrin: I think im going to print all this its so helpful, and hopefully you've just helped a load more freshers :biggrin:!! Thanks!

If i think of anything else ill know who to ask :biggrin:!!!
Reply 11
Original post by C-Dawg
I've applied for accommodation here for September. Building 2 I think, anyone else there?

Im not sure what building now, but my room is 20102 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending