The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Food Technology 16th May 2012 Thread

How did everyone find the exam today?

I didn't think it was too bad and there were a few easy common sense questions but it was definitely harder than I was expecting compared to last year's paper that I did for the mock.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it ok too.
Definitely thought last years was easier though, so hopefully that means the grade boundaries will be lower! I had no way enough to write for the last question for 10 MARKS!!! What did you write?
Reply 2
Original post by jo7777
I found it ok too.
Definitely thought last years was easier though, so hopefully that means the grade boundaries will be lower! I had no way enough to write for the last question for 10 MARKS!!! What did you write?

I found myself going on for the last question.
Reply 3
I hope they will be! It was 106 last year for an A* I think because that's what I got and in the high 80s for an A.

I know right?! I was expecting the longer mark question to be about an environmental consideration. I thought the last question about religious and cultural needs was really badly phrased and vague. I put about how Jews need Kosher meat and don't eat pork, Muslims need Halal meat and Hindus don't need beef as well as talking about different cuisines and their products like Indian samosas. But 10 marks is a lot for just that!

I don't think I wrote enough about the Eatwell plate in my design annotations :/ because I did that criteria last and didn't have much room.
Reply 4
I thought it was much more difficult than last years mock, do you all think grade boundaries will be a lot lower? In June 2011- it was 106 for A* and in June 2010- 89 for an A* , hopefully it will similar to June 2010?
Reply 5
Probably! I'll be disappointed if I get less than in the mock. Have you got your internal controlled assessment marks yet? My school won't give them to us incase they change lots :frown:
Reply 6
hi guys just did mine too. u knwo we rnt supposed to talk about it til like hours later? but anyways
OMG
section A the design
was ridiculously easy! like WAY easier than expected cuz it was so simple and didnt require any specific ahem needs (trying not to spoil for others)

but then section B was just hard! did u get the 400g E questions? modified starch? im surprised they didnt ask about GM food i prepared so much about that! and they didn't ask any questions on like a chart and what caused this problem etc
Reply 7
Well i got 100% for A* so at long as i get a B for the written i should be fine. Coursework was easy!
Reply 8
Original post by mia_hilton
I thought it was much more difficult than last years mock, do you all think grade boundaries will be a lot lower? In June 2011- it was 106 for A* and in June 2010- 89 for an A* , hopefully it will similar to June 2010?

OMG JUNE 2010 A* WAS 89/120? youve got to be kidding? or am i misinterpreting it
Reply 9
Pupcraze- It says on the exam discussion page that it's okay to discuss AQA exams straight away because they're only taken in the UK so hopefully its alright.

Yeah, coursework was but it took a lot of time! My teacher just said mine was a good and solid project or something like that.

I agree the design criteria were easy but in my nervousness at first exam I launched straight into annotating sensory aspects ect. with not much space left so it's a bit annoying because I could have said loads about the eatwell plate.
Reply 10
123xxx- i ran out of space for my hygiene and quality checks :frown:

didnt know the 400g E thing, friends told me it was a net weight thing.
Didn't know modified starch
ummmm
the preservative question do u know if it includes additives as well?
Reply 11
I'm sure you put enough to get full marks on that aspect if you ran out of space.

I just put it was the estimated weight and that the product might not weigh exactly like that but it should even out to it on average over a batch.
Reply 12
Original post by Pupcraze
OMG JUNE 2010 A* WAS 89/120? youve got to be kidding? or am i misinterpreting it

I know right?! It's true i just double checked it - you can check on ums convertor and you only needed 104 to get full ums marks! If only its the same for this paper :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Oh i'd tell you what you can put but then that'd be pointless considering theres no paper two and im sure you wouldn't be taking ib food tech next year.
Reply 14
Hey did anyone find the 5 mark question about the preservative and modified starch weird? I just blagged that completely :s-smilie: What did you guys put? Also, i know this is a really common sense question, but on question two about computers, what did you put for the 3 marker about why or how the computer is used to research recipes? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Pupcraze
123xxx- i ran out of space for my hygiene and quality checks :frown:

didnt know the 400g E thing, friends told me it was a net weight thing.
Didn't know modified starch
ummmm
the preservative question do u know if it includes additives as well?

I think preservatives are additives so that should be alright. I put about salt and sugar using all water so bacteria can't grow and vinegar being too acidic.
I dfelt to kill myself in that exam!
It was so much different from the mocks! Ah.
I left out a page because I ran out of time! And my designing part = terrible!
Reply 17
Original post by Wintabix
Hey did anyone find the 5 mark question about the preservative and modified starch weird? I just blagged that completely :s-smilie: What did you guys put? Also, i know this is a really common sense question, but on question two about computers, what did you put for the 3 marker about why or how the computer is used to research recipes? :smile:

Yes! i'd expect them to ask about GM food i prepared for that!
ok for preservatives i put: smth like vinegar, salt, artificial ones like E numbers (wait what was the question? why they use it) ok and then i just added everything in about flavour enhances, colourings and the side effects of them and the good things.

Modified starch: starch that can perform additional functions. Shorter gelatinisation time, will not form gel once cools down. Saves money, time, quick, makes profit (bsed it as well)

you?

For the computer one i put- emails, online survey
Reduce human error, more reliable, quick, wider range of info
forgot which one i put
Original post by Wintabix

I found that so weird!!!
I put that you can research recipes, you can go online and look at online websites and see what they sell, and you can look at videos online for previous recipes.. lol! I had no idea.
Reply 19
Original post by tattyteddy0
I found that so weird!!!
I put that you can research recipes, you can go online and look at online websites and see what they sell, and you can look at videos online for previous recipes.. lol! I had no idea.

Oh my god, that's exactly what i wrote! I was so confused, I just put research recipes, find videos on youtube and that you can email your friends :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending