Aberystwyth University

Accommodation Offers 2012/2013

Scroll to see replies

I'm in Pantycelyn, 1st choice so I'm a very happy bunny! :smile:
:badger:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 81
just wondering, how does the £800 discount work? do they take it all off the first payment or is it spread throughout?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by connoryay
just wondering, how does the £800 discount work? do they take it all off the first payment or is it spread throughout?

The £800 is filtered across the years rent.

There are 3 options of paying, all upfront, over 3 instalments and over 7 instalments. So depending on how you decide to pay your rent the £800 would come off across those figures.

For example, if you pay upfront you have £800 taken off there and then. If you pay over 3 instalments you have £266.67 (£800/3) discount per instalment and finally if you pay over 7 instalments you have £114.29 (£800/7) discount per instalment.
Reply 83
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
The £800 is filtered across the years rent.

There are 3 options of paying, all upfront, over 3 instalments and over 7 instalments. So depending on how you decide to pay your rent the £800 would come off across those figures.

For example, if you pay upfront you have £800 taken off there and then. If you pay over 3 instalments you have £266.67 (£800/3) discount per instalment and finally if you pay over 7 instalments you have £114.29 (£800/7) discount per instalment.

nice one, cheers!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
got a PJM single room

also I've only just found out I have 3 days to pay the £100 deposit, I should check the aber email more often
Reply 85
I got Seafront residencies, single room. Okay, I'll admit I'm a tiny bit dissapointed to not be on campus, but there're still tons of pros to the seafront, so I'm pretty much over it. Really, I'm just over the moon I didn't get a bunk room and it's awesome that I get to see the sea every day whether I get a decent room or not.

Everyone seems to know which block they're in, but I've done some fishing around and found that there are tons of different ones - Aberglasney, Balmoral, Blaenwern, Caerleon, Carpenter, Ceredigion, Glyndwr, Gwerin, and Pumlumon. Will I not find out which one I'm in until the day I move in? The email was completely unspecific.

Also, this may be stupid, but I'm super confused about how you pay the fees. I know there's an explanation on the accommodation portal thing, but the link it gave me was in welsh and because it was print-page setup, I couldn't use the auto-translator on my computer. When it says "Student accommodation fees must be paid moving to University accommodation either by paying the annual fee in one payment before the commencement of the academic session in September or in three installments by Direct Debit in November, January and April, or seven monthly installments between November and May. We will not allow students to move into University accommodation unless a completed Direct Debit mandate or that one payment has been received for the entire year." does it mean I set up the payment when I get there? Should I have already set it up? What if my student loan doesn't come through in time?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to things like this; any help would be lovely. :smile:
Reply 86
Well I e-mailed them and asked wether it was fine if I don't do the direct debit mandate before I get there, as I will not have a UK bank account before I do, and they said I could do it when I get there. I've payed the £100, and the next payment isn't until November. Hmm.., I do hope they will let me in, I do not wan't to sleep under a tree, and I know I am not the only person who won't have an account before moving in, so I guess they are used to it and have pretty much figured out the deal.
Reply 87
Original post by Elevant
Well I e-mailed them and asked wether it was fine if I don't do the direct debit mandate before I get there, as I will not have a UK bank account before I do, and they said I could do it when I get there. I've payed the £100, and the next payment isn't until November. Hmm.., I do hope they will let me in, I do not wan't to sleep under a tree, and I know I am not the only person who won't have an account before moving in, so I guess they are used to it and have pretty much figured out the deal.

Hey,

I'm an international aswell, and if you don't have a uk bank account, you don't need to fill out the direct debit payment (that automatically withdraws money from your account) until the end of october (by then you'll probably have a bank account in the uk). The first payment you can pay with debit/credit cards, cheque, bank transfer etc.
Any more Trefloynians? :biggrin:
Reply 89
I'm in the seafront. Just hope i might get a sea facing room. I LLOVE the sea :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5800
Reply 90
To people moaning about the Seafront...

I'm in Brynderw.

I would love to be in your position right now.
Reply 91
Original post by White Tree
To people moaning about the Seafront...

I'm in Brynderw.

I would love to be in your position right now.

Is Brynderw the one without the onsite laundrette? Is that why people seem so down on it? :s-smilie:
Reply 92
Original post by Veren110
Is Brynderw the one without the onsite laundrette? Is that why people seem so down on it? :s-smilie:

I think it's because it's the 'budget' hall and there's nothing really there, it's not near the campus, and not really near the town.
But, I guess you'd save a lot of money :smile:
Original post by Veren110

Yep, Brynderw doesn't have onsite laundry facilities so you'd have to trek up hill and use facilities on campus or trek into town to use a private launderette there. http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/our-residences/brynderw/

As likeasong says, the residence is in between the town and main campus. It's much nearer to the town and is behind the the Lidl/Argos/Iceland retail complex. Basically just off the main road, below Penglais Hill. Very handy with regards to location to the train station as its a few minutes walk if that.

Original post by likeasong
-
Reply 94
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Yep, Brynderw doesn't have onsite laundry facilities so you'd have to trek up hill and use facilities on campus or trek into town to use a private launderette there. http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/our-residences/brynderw/

As likeasong says, the residence is in between the town and main campus. It's much nearer to the town and is behind the the Lidl/Argos/Iceland retail complex. Basically just off the main road, below Penglais Hill. Very handy with regards to location to the train station as its a few minutes walk if that.

The laundrette thing sucks, but you could also argue it's like a happy medium- you wouldn't have as much fuss getting to campus and there'd be no problem getting food either. Though this may just be me searching for a bright side that isn't there since most people really seem to not like it. :/

Quick Reply

Latest