Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Gospel was preached from the very moment of Adam's sin

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know everyone who practices Judaism will say that Jesus spoke blasphemy, claiming He was the Son of God. I also know they say He was not the Messiah or the Christ. Yet, from the very moment Adam sinned, God promised our deliverance in His Son. God told Eve that her Seed would crush the serpent's head.

Yet again, the people of Israel said that God didn't become a man, and that it was blasphemy to think this happened. Jesus once told the pharisees and saducees back then the reason they didn't believe Him, was because they didn't believe Moses. (Jesus was referring to the first five books that are attributed to and around Moses) The Gospel is written in the very first genealogy, a genealogy that we all descended from. (We're family people! I'm your long lost cousin ) That genealogy is as follows......

Adam
    Seth
    Enosh
    Kenan
    Mahalalel
    Jared
    Enoch
    Methuselah
    Lamech
    Noah

Each of these names have a meaning behind them.

Adam- Man
    Seth- Appointed
    Enosh- Mortal
    Kenan- Sorrow
    Mahalalel- The Blessed God
    Jared- Shall come down
    Enoch- Teaching
    Methuselah- His death shall bring
    Lamech- Powerul
    Noah- Rest

So when we read the meanings behind these names, we can clearly see the Gospel was there from the very beginning of man's sin.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Odd that God never mentioned anything about this to anyone of his prophets more explicitly and instead hid it in a code of people's names. Names, I would remind you, that were chosen by the parents sometimes with explicit explanations of the reason for them.

Anyway, you need to back up your assertions about the translations of some of the names, if indeed such simple translations are even possible. In particular the names "Mahalalel" and "Enosh"
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt the accuracy of your name translations.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Adam, from the Egyptian Atum meaning 'He who is Complete'.

Seth, from the Egyptian Set meaning 'to dazzle'.

Enosh, from the Egyptian Anush meaning 'the distant one' cognate with Anshar in the Akkadian inscriptions.

Kenan, from the Egyptian Ka'anun meaning 'spirit of the waters'.

Lamech, from Lahmu of Akkadian inscriptions, a relative of Anshar.

Noah, from the Egyptian Nuhe/Nuh, god of the waters, son of Ka' anun.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all there, just look at the Hebrew meanings of those names. Kenan's name is hard to translate into sorrow, but it's possible that the name was taken from a hebrew root word for sorrow.

(Original post by UniOfLife)
    Odd that God never mentioned anything about this to anyone of his prophets more explicitly and instead hid it in a code of people's names. Names, I would remind you, that were chosen by the parents sometimes with explicit explanations of the reason for them.

Anyway, you need to back up your assertions about the translations of some of the names, if indeed such simple translations are even possible. In particular the names "Mahalalel" and "Enosh"
    We know Mahalalel's name has something to do with God. As the "el" means God. Usually names that end with "el" are saying something about God. I'll look up some more stuff about this, but most of the names can be accurately translated as is in Hebrew. (Then putting two in two together, the other names meanings become clear)

God mentioned things like this all throughout the OT. This is just another way He put in the overall message. Basically putting His stamp of approval of Jesus, from the very beginning.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okashira)
    We know Mahalalel's name has something to do with God. As the "el" means God. Usually names that end with "el" are saying something about God. I'll look up some more stuff about this, but most of the names can be accurately translated as is in Hebrew. (Then putting two in two together, the other names meanings become clear)

God mentioned things like this all throughout the OT. This is just another way He put in the overall message. Basically putting His stamp of approval of Jesus, from the very beginning.
    I don't want to belittle you or anything but I spent three years in a Rabbinical Seminary and know a few things about Hebrew words. Of course Mahalalel has something to do with God. The question is where you get it from to translate it the way you did.

As for Enosh - where it appears elsewhere in the OT it means "a person" as in for example Psalms 8:5.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to belittle you or anything but I spent three years in a Rabbinical Seminary and know a few things about Hebrew words. Of course Mahalalel has something to do with God. The question is where you get it from to translate it the way you did.

As for Enosh - where it appears elsewhere in the OT it means "a person" as in for example Psalms 8:5.
    Which sect does OP belong to, I'm not familiar with that particular "hidden name" theory?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    Which sect does OP belong to, I'm not familiar with that particular "hidden name" theory?
    I don't know, never heard it before. You'd best ask him.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, never heard it before. You'd best ask him.
    He may not realise he belongs to a sect, many fundamentalists of different kinds don't. But - it's worth a try - OP, which sect do you belong to?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds very made up. Can you source your meanings?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    He may not realise he belongs to a sect, many fundamentalists of different kinds don't. But - it's worth a try - OP, which sect do you belong to?
    Not every Christian ascribes to a sect you know..?

Not sure about the OP but I'm not part of a certain denomination. I don't even attend a denominational church.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Not every Christian ascribes to a sect you know..?

Not sure about the OP but I'm not part of a certain denomination. I don't even attend a denominational church.
    Sure, but unwittingly many even superficially unaffiliated Christians actually subscribe to the main views of particular sects. If you describe yours, I'm sure you can be defined. Of course, to you, they will seem like the only possible views for a Christian.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sure, but unwittingly many even superficially unaffiliated Christians actually subscribe to the main views of particular sects. If you describe yours, I'm sure you can be defined. Of course, to you, they will seem like the only possible views for a Christian.
    I don't know what you mean by the bolded statement.

In any case, I view most denominations as the same...they're all Christians to me. The exception are Jehovah's witnesses and Mormons. Both those sects are absolute drivel and shouldn't even be part of Christianity...they twist and often reject many of the central tenets of mainstream Christianity.

However, yes to an extent I agree with you that many Christians unknowing ascribe to a certain denomination based on their personal interpretations of the Bible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Mahalalel might have some roots in the word hallelujah, which is the highest spoken praise one can give God. Here's a site I use to help me with Biblical names..

http://www.abarim-publications.com/M...Mahalalel.html

I don't have a sect, but I guess people would class me as some form of protestant.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't have a sect, but I guess people would class me as some form of protestant.
    Well, as I mentioned, you may not feel like you belong to a sect, but you are espousing the views of one and a very unusual one. It's the sect of Arie Uittenbogaard, a strange man as far as I can tell from his website. His views are to say the least out of the ordinary, but as far as I can tell he's your bog standard extreme Millennialist and Biblical Infallibilist, it's just that he also reserves the right to invent his own meaning for everything in the Bible. Ho hum.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mahalalel might have some roots in the word hallelujah, which is the highest spoken praise one can give God. Here's a site I use to help me with Biblical names..

http://www.abarim-publications.com/M...Mahalalel.html
    Once again I'm well aware of the root word. The question is whether your translation is accurate. In order for your claim work it must mean something like "The Blessed God". However, such a translation seems incredibly unlikely. The site your cite gives the translation as "Praise of God".

Your translation doesn't fit with translations of other names with "el" like Samuel, Israel, Ishmael etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Once again I'm well aware of the root word. The question is whether your translation is accurate. In order for your claim work it must mean something like "The Blessed God". However, such a translation seems incredibly unlikely. The site your cite gives the translation as "Praise of God".

Your translation doesn't fit with translations of other names with "el" like Samuel, Israel, Ishmael etc.
    He's getting them from Uittenbogaard's website, who appears to be just making them up with no historical/scriptural basis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, as I mentioned, you may not feel like you belong to a sect, but you are espousing the views of one and a very unusual one. It's the sect of Arie Uittenbogaard, a strange man as far as I can tell from his website. His views are to say the least out of the ordinary, but as far as I can tell he's your bog standard extreme Millennialist and Biblical Infallibilist, it's just that he also reserves the right to invent his own meaning for everything in the Bible. Ho hum.
    Don't be mistaken. That one website was just one where I used to get the Hebrew meaning of names. Here's a couple more...

http://www.babynames.com/
    http://www.behindthename.com/
    and of course Wikipedia to name a few..

I had to look up the name of the guy you mentioned, because I've never heard of him before. Interestingly enough, it took me back to that site that I posted.

Again, I don't belong to one sect, as Jesus taught against it. He rebuked His disciples when they rebuked other people who were casting out demons in Jesus' name, yet they themselves weren't with Jesus physically. (Following Him around like the other disciples.) I actually listen to as many pastors and priests, and their teachings as possible. (As the Book of Proverbs mention, in the abundance of counselors there is victory) From there, I judge what is right. (The Holy Spirit being my true Counselor)

Is this really the first time you guys heard of this teaching about the names of Genesis 5?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this really the first time you guys heard of this teaching about the names of Genesis 5?
    Tends to happen when people start making things up. I think you ought to accept that, while cute, it is actually wrong. The translation of the names is inaccurate at best and the concept is flawed in any case.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tends to happen when people start making things up. I think you ought to accept that, while cute, it is actually wrong. The translation of the names is inaccurate at best and the concept is flawed in any case.
    Then have you heard the teaching on God's name? The Hebrew letters have pictures associated with them, and the Israelite people write God's name in the form of the letters YHWH.

Here it is written in hebrew letters..

The Y or Yod has a picture of an open hand.

The H or Heh has a picture of a man with his arms raised

The W or Vav has a picture of a nail or hook

And again the H with the man raising his hands

So the pictogram of God's name looks like this....

Reading from right to left, an open hand with a man raising his hands, who's nailed down with his hands raised. Some translate it as "Open Hand in Grace, Nailed in Grace". That looks a lot like Jesus. God's name means "I Am Who I Am" but when you write His name in letter form, you can really see Jesus. That is why Jesus told the religious leaders because they didn't believe Moses, they couldn't believe what He was teaching. God's name was first written in the five books of Moses.
    Attached Images

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.