The Student Room Group

Stuck on which course to choose

Hi,

I'm in the process of looking for a course to apply in 2012 and to start in 2013. At the moment I'm struggling to make my mind up about what course to pick. :frown:

I've narrowed it down to a couple of possiblities, but I'm looking to do a dual honours degree. My main interests are Spanish and/or Economics. I am aware that joint courses do exist for these subjects, but through elimination, either becaus of the location or rankings I've ruled these out.

I have to choose a subject that I'm equally good at/passionate in to do alongside either one of these. I have 10 A*s and 1A at GCSE and my A-Levels are Economics, Spanish, Maths, History and Italian. The dream is Oxford, but obviously I'm trying to be realistic :smile: !

Are there any courses that you know of/are taking yourselves that you could recommend for my current subject arrangements? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stefano
Reply 1
I know someone that does a course along the lines of Hispanic Studies and Economics at Sheffield and a quick google shows that Cardiff and Leeds do it. They are all good universities! The other option is looking at Economics courses that would allow you to do a Spanish elective.
Reply 2
Original post by stefanocattaneo
Hi,

I'm in the process of looking for a course to apply in 2012 and to start in 2013. At the moment I'm struggling to make my mind up about what course to pick. :frown:

I've narrowed it down to a couple of possiblities, but I'm looking to do a dual honours degree. My main interests are Spanish and/or Economics. I am aware that joint courses do exist for these subjects, but through elimination, either becaus of the location or rankings I've ruled these out.

I have to choose a subject that I'm equally good at/passionate in to do alongside either one of these. I have 10 A*s and 1A at GCSE and my A-Levels are Economics, Spanish, Maths, History and Italian. The dream is Oxford, but obviously I'm trying to be realistic :smile: !

Are there any courses that you know of/are taking yourselves that you could recommend for my current subject arrangements? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stefano

Hi :smile:
When I was looking for my course, I knew I wanted to do a Biology course, but wasn't sure what one. So I sent off for loads of prospectus' (probably in the region of 20-30 of them!) and read through all the relevant courses. I happened to read one which sounded perfect, and then went from there! Maybe looking through courses online might help? Or you could look to go to a Scottish university, as the degree system is far more flexible, so you would have a greater choice of subject combination.
Hope that helps
Original post by stefanocattaneo
Hi,

Stefano

Have you looked into the Scottish university system, or the combined honours degrees at universities such as Durham, Exeter and Liverpool?
The link for Durham is here: http://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/inbrief/subjects/

If you went to an ancient Scottish university (Edinburgh, St Andrews, Aberdeen or Glasgow) you would study 3 subjects in your first 2 years regardless of what you had actually applied to study. Therefore, you could apply for Spanish or economics but study both of them for the first two years of your degree even if they weren't technically degree subject combinations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending