The Student Room Group

AS AQA English Language exam 18th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

also after reading everyone elses... it seems like I've been taught how to group in section A differently to you :nooo:
Reply 41
I've been looking for that Mills and Boon novel from the Language and Gender question everywhere, to no avail :bawling: Professor Chadwick sounds like a bit of an alright :sexface:

Edit: I FOUND IT http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-surgeons-care-lucy-clark/1002488344 :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
i had in my mind that i was going to do Gender all this week, then as soon as i saw the text i had to change my mind! went with technology in the end and found it quite good to talk about but worried ive just blagged the context far too much so much so that it's gibberish! only linguist i could include was David Crystal, but i managed to slip a few in with the classifications, like Lakoff and Fairclough. Anyone else think the classification texts were quite difficult to group together? I had to spend a good 10 minutes at the beginning reading them all a few times and trying to link them before i felt confident starting :/
Loved the power question. It was fate, is said Winchester and I love spn so i was like bamb!

The groups could have been better, by the time i got onto my 3rd grouping I had trouble coming up with a good one to do.

Also I get 4% special consideration as my dads in hosp atm, at this would = 3.84 marks would they give me 3 or 4 marks extra?
Reply 44
Did anyone else group the Robert Burns poem based on phonology?
I brought it in as a "this also could be included..." in one of my groups. I think I started by writing about how it was likely to be read out loud, given the year it was written it'd most likely be by the poet himself.
Reply 45
I did 3 groups for cat text
Synthetic Personlisation
Use of metaphor to achieve purpose
Use of colour scheme as a cohesive device
Because we were told to look for detailed groups. I did power for the last bit, there was so much to talk about!
Reply 46
Original post by DanielV
In power one of the things I wrote was that the text emphasises words like "we" and "our", then later it has a rhetorical question.
I ended up writing a big rant on how it essentially makes the audience feel as if they're in a group, in which they have power, but if they were to disagree with the leaflet and not take action then they'd have to be going against the group and singling themselves out, so they're basically pressured.

All in all I think I wrote a good essay, but I don't know if I wrote a good ENGLISH essay. :|

I feel the same way! I did a lot of things like this, talking about collective nouns like 'community' to show togetherness. But I'm not sure if the points I was making were valid, or if I was just waffling.
Reply 47
Original post by ktlaurenroe
also after reading everyone elses... it seems like I've been taught how to group in section A differently to you :nooo:

I was thinking the same as you, a lot of people seem to be mentioning groupings on things like genre and purpose, but in my school were were taught not to do this and instead use more specific techniques. How were you taught to answer it?
Reply 48
guys i was just wondering....

one of my groups was spoken language aspects (something like that anyway) and i included the poem and said how it was meant to be read aloud shown by the rhythmic features etc etc
Do you think that sounds right? Also in the group was text B the transcript and Text A as it had like speech within the text.

The more i think about the more i wonder if what i put was right!
Original post by Ra Ra
I've been looking for that Mills and Boon novel from the Language and Gender question everywhere, to no avail :bawling: Professor Chadwick sounds like a bit of an alright :sexface:

Edit: I FOUND IT http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-surgeons-care-lucy-clark/1002488344 :biggrin:

Did you do the gender question? I took a gamble and did it but man it was hard; I hope the gamble pays off.
Original post by DanielV
Did anyone else group the Robert Burns poem based on phonology?
I brought it in as a "this also could be included..." in one of my groups. I think I started by writing about how it was likely to be read out loud, given the year it was written it'd most likely be by the poet himself.

Yes! I didn't group it as phonology but did mention how it could be a spoken discourse because of the regional accent etc...
Original post by rer
guys i was just wondering....

one of my groups was spoken language aspects (something like that anyway) and i included the poem and said how it was meant to be read aloud shown by the rhythmic features etc etc
Do you think that sounds right? Also in the group was text B the transcript and Text A as it had like speech within the text.

The more i think about the more i wonder if what i put was right!

Yes!!! I mentioned how the poem could be a spoken discourse also :smile:)
I put it as 'multi-modal'
did anyone else only do 2 groupings ?!haha,so worried ive screwed up
Reply 53
Original post by sushiking16
did anyone else only do 2 groupings ?!haha,so worried ive screwed up

I did too, but went into quite a lot of detail and adding some sub-categories in them. I'm hoping it doesn't matter too much. :smile:
Original post by ElleRose
I was thinking the same as you, a lot of people seem to be mentioning groupings on things like genre and purpose, but in my school were were taught not to do this and instead use more specific techniques. How were you taught to answer it?

Well he basically told us to only use the texts once, but some people have repeated texts in their groups :s-smilie:

oh and we were taught to do audience/purpose/genre/register groups mainly, not specific techniques like pronouns or imperatives etc! Makes no sense :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 55
Hey, Can anyone tell me why Text G by Simon Pure about jewelry gala used to many ?!#"!ing plant metaphors? why would he choose to do metaphors about plants? So I went off on completely the wrong tangent because I skim read and wrote how he included plant metaphors because the target audience had joined his mailing list, which showed they had an interest in plants. But this is not true is it? People joined the mailing list because they like jewelry? I know it's positive marking but please can someone clarify as I feel it may have messed up my chances of getting my best grade!

Other than that, I felt it went really well, and my groupings were:
Imperatives
Personal Pronouns
Target Audience

And I did Power :smile: Anyone else comment on how the letter was quite intruding? I felt it was quite upfront and threatening
Reply 56
Original post by elliemclaren
i had in my mind that i was going to do Gender all this week, then as soon as i saw the text i had to change my mind! went with technology in the end and found it quite good to talk about but worried ive just blagged the context far too much so much so that it's gibberish! only linguist i could include was David Crystal, but i managed to slip a few in with the classifications, like Lakoff and Fairclough. Anyone else think the classification texts were quite difficult to group together? I had to spend a good 10 minutes at the beginning reading them all a few times and trying to link them before i felt confident starting :/

I love technology and was praying something nice would come up and it did! My teacher always says that theorists for technology aren't as important as in gender and power (to be honest there is just crystal's informalisation, pseudo-dialogue and also linguistic compression) and that really deep context about how technology has influenced language is important!
Reply 57
It's really weird reading all of these comments because it seems like we've all been taught really differently.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by ElleRose
It's really weird reading all of these comments because it seems like we've all been taught really differently.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

How did you approach the categorising texts?
Reply 59
Original post by Ikemi
How did you approach the categorising texts?

Well, I went through the texts, annotated them, then figured out which techniques were most common and made groupings based on those and wrote about the different effects of the techniques in each of the texts.

It's just weird because we were taught to NEVER do groupings based on genre/audience/purpose/graphology, but it looks like that's what a lot of schools have taught TO do. It makes me wonder what the examiners will make of all the different writing styles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending