AQA A2 Making of Modern Britain, 1951-2007

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Aek-94
There's so much to remember for this exam, it's ridiculous. :no:

yeah tell me about it :frown:
Original post by Aek-94
There's so much to remember for this exam, it's ridiculous. :no:

Technically there is, but realistically you can only remember so much. Thus, I just suggest that you get the main points that are necessary in which you can talk a lot about in order to support whatever argument you may make in the exam tomorrow! :smile: good luck..back to revision..byeeee xxx
Reply 62
Im calling it a night :smile:
good luck to you all :smile:
i hope we all pass and do really well ! !
Reply 63
Original post by ToyosiBaby
Technically there is, but realistically you can only remember so much. Thus, I just suggest that you get the main points that are necessary in which you can talk a lot about in order to support whatever argument you may make in the exam tomorrow! :smile: good luck..back to revision..byeeee xxx

very inspirational :smile: :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by LondonLT
1. The records of labour governements in the years 1964 and 1979 was one of continuous failure- assess the validity of this view

2. to what extent were John Majors difficulties as PM of his own making, in the period 1990-1997?

3. the mismangment of british foreign policies in the years 1990-2007 did lasting harm to britains position in the world- assess validity of this view

any planning ideas??

1. Points for the view:
Failed economically with the National Plan, devaluation (Wilson tried to reassure people but failed and looked economically incompetent), EEC membership rejected, IMFs (due to excessive public spending)
Couldn't control Unions so looked politically weak and it exacerbated economic difficulties - Seamen led to IMF and Docks to devaluation and then the mishandling of the Winter of Discontent etc.
Inadequate investment - on nuclear deterrent and not on education or manufacturing industry which was in decline
Devolution failed
Foreign Policy in Rhodesia, Biafra and Apertheid failed
Points against the view:
Roy Jenkins got a surplus on the Balance of Payments through channelling resources in exports etc.
Introduced Liberal Reforms for a more Liberal Society
Unlucky because of Yom Kippur which gave them a £1billion deficit to led to IMF and subsequent troubles
Decolonized - sped it up East of Suez so cutting defence budget
Started to break with consensus 1975-79
Overall conclusion: 1964-69 wasn't failure but 1975-79 was.

2. Points for the View:
Leadership challenge - he called it and press said it was his last and best chance of winning next election
Taxation - said he wouldn't introduce it in 1992 election but did
ERM - while not his fault pound set too high he exacerbated situation by wasting gold reserves and not coming out straight away and because he kept lamont on as chancellor for another year
Points against the view:
Divisions over Europe - Maastricht in particular when he had done such a good job of getting opt outs
Sleaze - Sex Scandals, Arms to Iraq, Cash for Questions and Perjury although you could argue he should have had better control over his Party and he wasn't exactly Clean cut particularly given his 'Back to Basics' Speech
Balkans - tried very hard to reach conclusion and established UNPROFOR but not his fault that other countries couldn't commit, not his fault that Britain's status was on the decline
Overall conclusion: His difficulties were caused by factors outside his control but he did not do anything to help his situation and instead exacerbated it.

3. Points for the view:
Europe - ERM and Maastricht opt outs soured EU relations and Blair's rebate of 20% soured relations as well as contributing to her economic decline to decreasing her standing in EU
Iraq - Looked like America's poodle, and damaged EU relations so causing lasting harm as didn't benefit from Enlargement
Balkans with Major - diminished Britain's status
Points against the View:
Balkans just highlighted Britain's decline and actually allowed Blair to learn from it, persuading US to intervene in Kosovo and looking like he had influence over Bush so increasing Britain's world position
Europe - Maastricht was not actually a mismanagement as Major wanted opt outs and successfully secured them and as Labour adopted Social Chapter no lasting harm done
It was actually a time of positive EU relations with a strong Major-Kohl relationship and Blair-Sarkozy-Merkel helping to heal hurt left by Thatcher
Overall Conclusion: Wasn't much mismanagement and didn't really do lasting harm to position.

Hope some of this helps :smile: GOOD LUCK!
Original post by ToyosiBaby

Very good point!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 66
Original post by haricot27
1. Points for the view:
Failed economically with the National Plan, devaluation (Wilson tried to reassure people but failed and looked economically incompetent), EEC membership rejected, IMFs (due to excessive public spending)
Couldn't control Unions so looked politically weak and it exacerbated economic difficulties - Seamen led to IMF and Docks to devaluation and then the mishandling of the Winter of Discontent etc.
Inadequate investment - on nuclear deterrent and not on education or manufacturing industry which was in decline
Devolution failed
Points against the view:
Roy Jenkins got a surplus on the Balance of Payments through channelling resources in exports etc.
Unlucky because of Yom Kippur which gave them a £1billion deficit to led to IMF and subsequent troubles

2. Points for the View:
Leadership challenge - he called it and press said it was his last and best chance of winning next election
ERM - while not his fault pound set too high he exacerbated situation by wasting gold reserves and not coming out straight away and because he kept lamont on as chancellor for another year
Points against the view:
Divisions over Europe - Maastricht in particular when he had done such a good job of getting opt outs
Sleaze - Sex Scandals, Arms to Iraq, Cash for Questions and Perjury although you could argue he should have had better control over his Party and he wasn't exactly Clean cut particularly given his 'Back to Basics' Speech
Balkans - tried very hard to reach conclusion and established UNPROFOR but not his fault that other countries couldn't commit, not his fault that Britain's status was on the decline
Overall conclusion: His difficulties were caused by factors outside his control but he did not do anything to help his situation and instead exacerbated it.

3. Points for the view:
Europe - ERM and Maastricht opt outs soured EU relations and Blair's rebate of 20% soured relations as well as contributing to her economic decline to decreasing her standing in EU
Iraq - Looked like America's poodle, and damaged EU relations so causing lasting harm as didn't benefit from Enlargement
Points against the View:
Balkans just highlighted Britain's decline and actually allowed Blair to learn from it, persuading US to intervene in Kosovo and looking like he had influence over Bush so increasing Britain's world position
Europe - Maastricht was not actually a mismanagement as Major wanted opt outs and successfully secured them and as Labour adopted Social Chapter no lasting harm done
It was actually a time of positive EU relations with a strong Major-Kohl relationship and Blair-Sarkozy-Merkel helping to heal hurt left by Thatcher
Overall Conclusion: Wasn't much mismanagement and didn't really do lasting harm to position.

i love you thank you,, i think i did these Q for class, even though got like 25 which is a C but it shows what NOT to aim for haha :] ill try to dig it out :]

thank you!
Reply 67
Original post by haricot27
1. Points for the view:
Devolution failed
Points against the view:

2. Points for the View:
Points against the view:

3. Points for the view:
Points against the View:

can i just say i actually love you!! i've been struggling with that major question and you literally saved my life :')
Reply 68
AHHHHHHH! (is all i can say right now)
My exam went surprisingly well, although I messed up how I structured my answers. :colonhash:
Exam went well, messed up the structure too and my arm killed!!

Original post by kokosrsly
AHHHHHHH! (is all i can say right now)

Good ahhhh or bad ahhhh?

Reply 72
Original post by parkyparkinson
Good ahhhh or bad ahhhh?

haha a bit of both
on the one hand the paper was technically great
on the other hand I don't know how well I performed :/
Which questions did everybody do? :smile:
1 & 3. But i wish i did 2 now :'(
Original post by Aek-94
Which questions did everybody do? :smile:

One and three because i got confused between wilson and macmillian, didn't wanna risk it :frown: you?

Reply 76
i did one and two, i think it went ok, but i have a horrible feeling ive missed something really important out, and i don't think i structured them very well :/ ah well..
Original post by parkyparkinson
One and three because i got confused between wilson and macmillian, didn't wanna risk it :frown: you?

I did questions 1 and 2. :smile:

I liked question 1 because I'd revised foreign policy pretty throughly. I choose question 2 rather than 3 because I wasn't really of a fan of the Thatcher stuff.
Reply 78
Anyone doing this exam in June 2013? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending