The Student Room Group

how can you drink & stay thin?!

I was always under the notion that vodka had not a lot of calories, so I'd smirk at my friends drinking wine whilst I thought I was fine with my double vodka and diet coke

But I've just found out that one shot of vodka is about 70 calories!
sometimes when i go out i can have about two triple vodka and cokes and maybe another glass! so that makes the equivalent of a bottle of wine! gggrrrr

Does anyone know how to stay social and go out drinking, without gaining weight?
it seems pointless eating healithy when I'll end up going out and drinking, there must be some low calorie drink
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine if you're not just sitting on the couch all day and eating pies. Eating healthy WILL make a difference.. of course it will! think about it, you eat loads of junk all day, then go out drinking or you eat healthy all day and go out drinking - which will lead to you taking in more calories and therefore being the most unhealthy? If it bothers you that much, do more exercise! Go running or swimming or climbing (etc.) with friends. Days out like that are fun and will benefit you. 70 calories isn't a lot...
Reply 2
Chunder everywhere at the end of the night?

Or in the Middle.

Or both just to be safe.
Reply 3
I'm usually hanging so badly the next day I don't eat anything. That balances things out :')
Reply 4
Perhaps accommodate for alcohol calories in your diet? For example, if you're going out and you know you're going to drink, try to eat a little less during the day? Eat healthier stuff and remember to always eat before you start drinking to line your stomach. Make sure you don't get obsessed with it though; there's a new eating disorder called 'drunkorexic' and it can be a slippery slope. Or drink less and don't depend on alcohol for a good night out? That also works!
By generally eating healthy and doing lots of exercise. It isn't rocket science.
Reply 6
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
By generally eating healthy and doing lots of exercise. It isn't rocket science.

yes, but I already do that... all this hard work to eat healthily doesnt make me want to go out and ruien it all by drinking

and unfortunately im one of these people that need to drink to have a good night out

oh well
Original post by emilyteacake
yes, but I already do that... all this hard work to eat healthily doesnt make me want to go out and ruien it all by drinking

and unfortunately im one of these people that need to drink to have a good night out

oh well

it's not that difficult to eat healthy... you go to the shop and choose what to buy.. it's no different to taking unhealthy stuff off the shelf.. probably same amount of calorie burning. It's counted as ruining your efforts of you don't see it as a reward for doing well... don't drink that often.. if you don't want to get fat, not drinking to much should already be on your list.

I eat healthy. I don't find it too hard. I find that often, the fruit and vege are nearer the door anyway.
Just eat less on the days you drink, it's pretty simple calorie calculation. There's no magic calorie free alcohol it's like any other non-diet drink! By the sounds of it you need 500 cals max to reserve for alcohol on days you go out so you should be able to eat 1200 on those days (the minimum recommended amount) and you can get a lot of food for that...just be sensible and calculate things properly...
Considering if you drink that heavily 2-3 times a week, just stick to a lower calorie amount the other days if you like to generally be under 1700.
Reply 9
Dance enough to balance it out?!
One shot of gin and slimline tonic is like 50 calories or thereabouts depending on the brands. Not to all tastes but I guess if you just want to get drunk it does the job.

Otherwise I'd suggest what others already have just be extra good food wise on the days know you will be drinking. I rarely drink now to be honest which probably makes me really boring but when I do drink I like cocktails which are probably the worst thing to have, so much sugar!
Drink alot of different drinks and lots of them

So you can vomit it all out at the end of the night
Reply 12
Drink water, I hear that's pretty low in calories...
Sex burns 170 calories an hour, thats almost 2.5 shots of vodka.

Now you count out how many drinks you buy and work out how much sex you should supply to burn the newly obtained calories.
Drink it with Diet Coke?

Other than that - if you're not putting on weight then it's obviously not a significant problem.

Or do some more exercise to compensate for the calories found in alcohol?
Original post by jazzykinks
if you're going out and you know you're going to drink, try to eat a little less during the day?

That gets you trollied much quicker. It's not a smart move. You need something for the alcohol to soak or you will be bladdered very quickly.
Reply 16
Original post by emilyteacake

But I've just found out that one shot of vodka is about 70 calories!
sometimes when i go out i can have about two triple vodka and cokes and maybe another glass! so that makes the equivalent of a bottle of wine! gggrrrr

Before you count anything but the alcohol, a bottle of wine will have about 700 calories. Assuming it has some other stuff(seems reasonable), wine's still a bunch more calories.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sosidge
Ahh its posts like these that make me so glad I can eat like a pig all day every day and go out getting drunk, drinking what i like and when i like and stay slim :biggrin:

Enjoy your early death
Original post by charmayne :)
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine if you're not just sitting on the couch all day and eating pies. Eating healthy WILL make a difference.. of course it will! think about it, you eat loads of junk all day, then go out drinking or you eat healthy all day and go out drinking - which will lead to you taking in more calories and therefore being the most unhealthy? If it bothers you that much, do more exercise! Go running or swimming or climbing (etc.) with friends. Days out like that are fun and will benefit you. 70 calories isn't a lot...

oh my god that's my dream life
Reply 19
Original post by Sosidge
At least I would have spent my life doing what i like doing and not spending most of my days counting calories, working out at the gym and stressing over being fat, if you're going to live life like that I don't think there's even much point in living like that, sounds pretty sh*t if you ask me.

I used to think a bit like this, but I must say yours is dangerously exaggerated and unrealistic; I could also say you're just lazy and not sound enough to think and find any sound evidence what living like that will do to you.

You won't feel it now, but the damage is going to be done soon enough.

I think this sum up what I would say:

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Enjoy your early death

Moreover:

Stop trying to make yourself feel better by trying to put other people down because you probably have weight issues yourself. Chill out, live a little and stop trying to put a dampener on other peoples lives. :smile:

What? I think the person who has the issue here is you. You're just living in a fool's paradise; a big one I must say. So I'd say; "Chill out! Don't be lazy. Learn a little will you?"

Quick Reply

Latest