Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The literature exams involve presentation of a few lines of Latin, then you answer comprehension about them. Then you get a translation of some lines, then there are different essays (one 8 marker and one 10 marker for prose, I think two 10 markers and one 8 marker for verse).

Once you know vocab, I'd advise using books like Momentum Tests and guide to GCSE Latin to help with extra niggly things which will move you up to an a*, such as differences in nonne and num, verbs of fear etc

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hines)
    The literature exams involve presentation of a few lines of Latin, then you answer comprehension about them. Then you get a translation of some lines, then there are different essays (one 8 marker and one 10 marker for prose, I think two 10 markers and one 8 marker for verse).

Once you know vocab, I'd advise using books like Momentum Tests and guide to GCSE Latin to help with extra niggly things which will move you up to an a*, such as differences in nonne and num, verbs of fear etc

What are the main things you should mention in the essays?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    An 8 mark essay is just about characters and storylines, so for example one for the Aeneid was "how does Virgil convey the idea of troys destruction" so you would structure it in paragraphs and talk about similes, death etc
    10 mark essays must have Latin quoted in and you'll get an extract from the text. They give you a question and 3 bullet points you have to talk about and you have to write about all of them including style points which are quoted to get full marks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many points should we do per bullet point... my Greek teacher says we should do one point on word placement, one on word choice and one on stylistic features per bullet point, for a total of 9 points for 10 marks; is this too much?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit specific... You don't always know what you're going to get when the extract comes up in the paper... It's best just learning all of the style points you can, and then when you get to the exam, write them around the extract. The bullet points just act as a guide through the extract so you can expand on the question, so just make sure what you write for each one is even, and basically write as much as you can.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My teacher recently told us that the papers have been changed so there are 2 bullet points that are there as guidance but you no longer *have* to include these points in your answer. Apparently there's only 1 10 mark question in both the literature papers now and when I did that format in my verse mock, timing was so much better!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I'm panicking- I had to self teach myself the whole Germanicus and Piso, Pythius, and Clodia set texts. :eek: Does anybody have any revision tips? My teacher said just memorize all of the translation :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweak6)
    Ahhh I'm panicking- I had to self teach myself the whole Germanicus and Piso, Pythius, and Clodia set texts. :eek: Does anybody have any revision tips? My teacher said just memorize all of the translation :/
    You need to be able to match the Latin words to the English translation not just be able to chant the English off by heart because you have to translate your quotes in the 10 mark questions.

I learn the set texts by reading translation several times, then learning what words match up and their meaning and then test myself with just the Latin.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123xxx)
    My teacher recently told us that the papers have been changed so there are 2 bullet points that are there as guidance but you no longer *have* to include these points in your answer. Apparently there's only 1 10 mark question in both the literature papers now and when I did that format in my verse mock, timing was so much better!
    I've found no evidence for that whatsoever on the OCR website, and there was no change in the January 2012 paper so I'm not sure to believe that.

To revise for the texts, just make sure you learn them (keep reading over, recognise latin words) and then at the same time, read your style points. They should then come together hand in hand in your memory.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=hines;37662413]I've found no evidence for that whatsoever on the OCR website, and there was no change in the January 2012 paper so I'm not sure to believe that.

They don't have any literature exams in January! On the specimen verse paper below the phrasing on the 10 mark question is 'you may wish to consider the following points' and there's only 1 10 mark question on both the sections you can choose to do.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/asses...unit_a404h.pdf
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There was a possibility of early entry. Unless that was just language.

Spoken to my teacher, theres definitely been no change. Prose has 1 8 mark and 1 10 mark. Verse has 1 8 mark and 2 10 marks.

That's a specimen paper and contains questions for all of the verse possibilities. Since then there have been 2 exams, both of which have 3 bullet points to choose from.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for my lit exam ive got to learn pliny, suetonous, livy, virgil, persius, horace and lucan. is anyone else doing that?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hines)
    There was a possibility of early entry. Unless that was just language.

Spoken to my teacher, theres definitely been no change. Prose has 1 8 mark and 1 10 mark. Verse has 1 8 mark and 2 10 marks.

That's a specimen paper and contains questions for all of the verse possibilities. Since then there have been 2 exams, both of which have 3 bullet points to choose from.
    I thought there were 2 10markers on prose
    That was for June 11?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetejmaster)
    I thought there were 2 10markers on prose
    You're right there! I had forgotten that the department didn't include the 2 short stories in to my mock paper - so there's one 1 8 and 1 10 for the main prose text, and then more for the other two.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on learning stylistic features? I'm ok with memorising translations, it's just remembering all the little details and points for the 10markers I struggle with...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkducki)
    Any tips on learning stylistic features? I'm ok with memorising translations, it's just remembering all the little details and points for the 10markers I struggle with...
    Wing it in the exam.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakariaMar)
    how many of you have this. I have language 1, 2 and for prose my class studied a yellow textbook consisting of pliny, livy and suetonius (talking about ghosts, caesar and romulus respectively); for verse we did the aeneid book 2.
    I'm doing this exact same combo ....not looking forward to it though! How are you finding it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkducki)
    Me too, I have no idea what I'm going to write!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing vigil for verse and clodia, pythius, Germanicus & piso for prose. Anyone doing same/similar??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhesi4662)
    I'm doing this exact same combo ....not looking forward to it though! How are you finding it?
    I really prefer the aeneid book, the yellow book is just so tiresome!

I hope I'll find the first 2 easy, I'm quite bad at grammar but my vocab knowledge is very good, I know almost all of them (I never usually use flashcards but they're very good in latin if you aren't using them u should)

And finally to answer your question I'm finding it quite manageable, I just hope I don't have a really bad exam on friday; that'll ruin my whole confidence for the remaining ones

So what grade are you aiming for?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 4, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.