The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by gdcf
I'm doing vigil for verse and clodia, pythius, Germanicus & piso for prose. Anyone doing same/similar??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

The exact same!

How are you finding it?
Reply 41
Original post by ZakariaMar
I really prefer the aeneid book, the yellow book is just so tiresome!

I hope I'll find the first 2 easy, I'm quite bad at grammar but my vocab knowledge is very good, I know almost all of them (I never usually use flashcards but they're very good in latin if you aren't using them u should)

And finally to answer your question I'm finding it quite manageable, I just hope I don't have a really bad exam on friday; that'll ruin my whole confidence for the remaining ones

So what grade are you aiming for?

To be honest, Language paper 2 is my main worry, and if you put your mind to it, learning the translations for the prose and verse shouldn't be too much trouble. Especially as in that month i only have four exams including the two Latin ones!

A* if I can manage it! How about you?
Reply 42
Original post by hines
The exact same!

How are you finding it?

Me too! I have learnt Pythius and Clodia (and most of G+P) by heart, and know Virgil well enough... I have two weeks to learn them after my second last exam. Language should be ok, I did the January papers yesterday and they are so much harder than every single other paper ever.
Original post by Debate
Me too! I have learnt Pythius and Clodia (and most of G+P) by heart, and know Virgil well enough... I have two weeks to learn them after my second last exam. Language should be ok, I did the January papers yesterday and they are so much harder than every single other paper ever.

I'm doing them tomorrow (Jan ones)... can't wait now !!! At least there's still time to learn more grammar.
^except greek. Greek is the same as Latin in all respects, except with every second word being a tiny particle which either has no meaning whatsoever and homer put it in to make the line longer or it's incredibly important.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App and also from an iPhone but not an iPad and why isn't it an iPod app?
Reply 45
Original post by dhesi4662
To be honest, Language paper 2 is my main worry, and if you put your mind to it, learning the translations for the prose and verse shouldn't be too much trouble. Especially as in that month i only have four exams including the two Latin ones!

A* if I can manage it! How about you?

A* aswell I hope; I've been getting a's and a*'s so far in the mock tests, so hopefully I'll have good days when it counts.

Good luck, hope u manage it!!
Reply 46
Original post by hines
The exact same!

How are you finding it?

It's okay I guess, likthe prose is easy but virgil's just so irritating haha. It takes me ages to learn. And all the literary techniques are just liek whaattt!?
Reply 47
Does anyone have the link to the January 2012 papers (higher tier A402) because it would be very beneficial
Reply 48
Yes, can someone link to some language past papers?! so scared for tomorrow.
Reply 49
is anyone doing Pliny, Livy & Suetonius for PROSE LIT and Virgil, Persius, Horace & Lucan for VERSE LIT?
Many friends got A* on the mock without knowing noun and adjective endings at all. To be honest, if you've got the meanings, know the verb endings, know that 'bo' = future, 'r' = passive/deponent (it'll be obvious which one it is), 'vi' = past, you'll be fine, and you can easily guess who verbs/nouns are referring to. 99% of the time, you'll get it right.

The real thing is the vocabulary. Personally, I'm hoping for an A* on this paper, and then if I get a B/A on Language 2 it won't matter because you're practically guaranteed 96-100% on the set texts.
Original post by Smilevalley
Many friends got A* on the mock without knowing noun and adjective endings at all. To be honest, if you've got the meanings, know the verb endings, know that 'bo' = future, 'r' = passive/deponent (it'll be obvious which one it is), 'vi' = past, you'll be fine, and you can easily guess who verbs/nouns are referring to. 99% of the time, you'll get it right.

The real thing is the vocabulary. Personally, I'm hoping for an A* on this paper, and then if I get a B/A on Language 2 it won't matter because you're practically guaranteed 96-100% on the set texts.

You can lose marks by mistranslating a perfect for an imperfect, and lose 7 marks and thats below the A* boundary... the set text isn't a guaranteed anything, it depends on the 10 markers. Any tips for the ten and 8 mark questions?
olim Iuppiter iratus erat quod homines deis nulla dona dabant. ad terram igitur iter facere constituit ut ipse videret quid facerent. Iuppiter igitur formam viri sumpsit ne agnosceretur, atque ad regem Lycaonem venit; nam audivit eum crudelissimum esse. sed Lycaon, qui intellexit eum deum esse, consilium saevum paravit. eum salutatum invitavit ut in villa sua paucas horas maneret; nam in animo habebat eum nocte ibi dormientem necare. ubi tamen Iuppiter cognovit quid Lycaon pararet, ad caelum rediit.

Iuppiter igitur regem omnesque homines necare constituit. ceteri dei tamen nolebant, cum scirent neminem sacrificia iam facturum esse. 'num eos omnes punies' dixerunt. 'nonne mihi creditis?' respondit. 'promitto me aliud genus hominum creaturum esse.' tum Iuppiter Neptunum vocatum rogavit ut graves imbres in terras mitteret. deinde tot imbres descenderunt ut plurimi homines delerentur.

Deucalion et Pyrrha soli mortem effugerunt quod Iuppiter eis persuaserat ut in navem ascenderent. tandem summo monti, qui ex aqua surgebat, appropinquaverunt. cum e nave discessissent, uxor Iovis subito de caelo venit et eos iussit ossa matris eorum post terga ponere. primo Deucalion et Pyrrha perterriti erant, cum non intellegerent quid dea dicerat. deinde Pyrrha 'hoc facere difficile est,' inquit. 'nam dissimiles matres habemus. terra tamen mater omnium est. lapides, qui in terra sunt, ossa matris sunt. hos post terga nostra ponere debemus.' quo facto, lapides lente fiebant turba feminarum iuvenumque. ita novum genus hominum factum est.

January 2012.
bam bas bat.... etc... is very different than bui, vi, ssi, so imperfective/perfective past isn't a problem. pluperfect isn't much of a challenge either (and I'm not even sure if we need to know it for paper 1).

With regard to 10 mark questions, just make 10 points. Some teachers say 'make 6 well explained points' but that's risky and wastes time as you always wonder if you've written enough.

Example:

"Tacitus makes the scene vivid through his use of colour: 'blahblahblah' or 'bright red' symbolises the shining might of the Roman army".
Also remember that you can say anything. my teacher says that in Pythius, the repeated 'p' sounds make him sound slimy and a trickster. That's actually a point! :wink:

For the 8 mark, you want 4 mini-paragraphs, each making a different point. If you're doing the poems (Persius, Virgil etc...) then it'll almost definitely be a question on how the gods are portrayed in Roman times. Talk about 4 poems, one in each paragraph, and how they show the gods differently. Then link them together in a 3 or 4 line conclusion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by nike103
Does anyone have the link to the January 2012 papers (higher tier A402) because it would be very beneficial

I don't have the paper in digital form, but I have the Mark Schemes :L
Reply 55
what are u all doing atm to revise for tomorrow's exam? I'm just doing a vocab check i.e going through all the words in the vocab list
Original post by ColUWill
I don't have the paper in digital form, but I have the Mark Schemes :L

can you post the mark scheme then?
Honestly, my previous post was the text in January's Latin Language 1
Seeing as language paper 1 is tomorrow, good luck to everyone! I'm just trying to cram in some revision, but I have my history exam in the morning so it's quite difficult. Hopefully i'll do OK :colondollar: I have the joy of being kept in "isolation" for 2 hours before sitting the paper.

Also, how do you all revise the set texts/prose and literature? I'm doing virgil, germanicus and piso, clodia and pythius but I will most likely do very badly considering i've not started on them. We didn't even know we had to do a set text paper until 2 months ago. My last sqa exam is next friday though so i'll have more time for revision then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UserUnavailable
Seeing as language paper 1 is tomorrow, good luck to everyone! I'm just trying to cram in some revision, but I have my history exam in the morning so it's quite difficult. Hopefully i'll do OK :colondollar: I have the joy of being kept in "isolation" for 2 hours before sitting the paper.

Also, how do you all revise the set texts/prose and literature? I'm doing virgil, germanicus and piso, clodia and pythius but I will most likely do very badly considering i've not started on them. We didn't even know we had to do a set text paper until 2 months ago. My last sqa exam is next friday though so i'll have more time for revision then.

Read through the English, memorise a line or so, read through the corresponding Latin, match each English word to the Latin translation. If it helps write out the Latin between reading the English and reading the Latin, then match up the English word to the Latin word you have just written out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending