The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZakariaMar
Thanks, and that should be okay for this evening. My grammar is not very good to be honest, I only really have a rough understanding of it and often I just grind my way through translations through inference from context, relying mostly on my vocab knowledge to get an a*.

I also enjoy it but like you it has no relevance to the course I want to do (aerospace engineering). So I took the Maths/Science route.

For testing vocab I made this flashcards online. I find them very useful so feel free to use them everyone:

http://quizlet.com/9189730/vocab-list-flash-cards/

Nice! Are you going to do further maths?
Original post by sahajkaur
Hi I have attached a file with all the grammar you need to know (just know it roughly) and learn all the vocab! For set texts there is an essay in which you have to analyse how the writer creates certain effects. Do you want me to upload an example of that too?

These are really helpful - thankyou!! You're lucky your school gave them to you - I got nothing from my school...
Reply 122
For testing vocab I made this flashcards online. I find them very useful so feel free to use them everyone:

Yes I am, you?

thank you!!! :biggrin:
just make sure u understand the basic meanings ,ie what a verb is trying 2 tell u,the who is doing,what he is doing,and how he is doing
watch out 4 the gerundives ,there nasty,
oh and the ablative absolute,
Reply 125
can someone explain the difference between a gerund and a gerundive??
thanks
Reply 126
Original post by studentrc
can someone explain the difference between a gerund and a gerundive??
thanks

Gerundive is something that must be done (must be eaten for example) and has a verb stem + nd + ending (like us and um).

A gerund is something that's learnt at A level so don't worry about that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Good luck everyone! I know you'll all do brilliantly!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
how was it everyone :biggrin:?
absoloutley bossed it. im quite bad at latin and was expecting a B overall but after the first two exams (Lang 1+2) i may get A*!! the only bit im unsure of was the 5 mark question ant the end of section 1. I got ' he wanted to place them in the heaviest, most dreadful and wicked punishment'?? anyone got the unofficial mark scheme?? xxxxxxx
Original post by FLYINGSPANIARD
absoloutley bossed it. im quite bad at latin and was expecting a B overall but after the first two exams (Lang 1+2) i may get A*!! the only bit im unsure of was the 5 mark question ant the end of section 1. I got ' he wanted to place them in the heaviest, most dreadful and wicked punishment'?? anyone got the unofficial mark scheme?? xxxxxxx

I put it was 'he sought the most serious punishment for the most dreadful crime' :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
I put it was 'he sought the most serious punishment for the most dreadful crime' :confused:

heavy and serious mean the same thing but i think your right :frown: my friends put roughly what you did too. The annoying thing is i actually put 'crime' originally but its practically the same word in latin as 'wicked'! :smile:
Hi guys, I've compiled a rough unofficial markscheme from what I can remember of the exam. Feel free to tell me more things to add if I have missed them out/or it is wrong. :smile:

1) He used to have many slaves
2) He was killed by one of his slaves
3) They were accustomed to punish all the slaves who were living in the same house by death
4) A huge crowd of people
5) Do not kill so many innocent slaves!
6) He sought the most serious punishment for such a dreadful crime.
7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what will happen if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay unfair penalties. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, with few resisting, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi guys, I've compiled a rough unofficial markscheme from what I can remember of the exam. Feel free to tell me more things to add if I have missed them out/or it is wrong. :smile:

3) They were accustomed to punish all the slaves who were living in the same house by death
7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what happens if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay an unfair penalty. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, when the few had been resisted, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].

it was actually with a few resisting
but apart from that everything else was correct

7) ‘It is not always good, senators, to follow traditions handed over by ancestors. Now, however what happens if slaves are able to kill masters without punishment? Surely you do not believe this slave prepared his plan alone, without others? Surely the rest knew what this one wanted to do?’

With these words Cassius was trying to persuade the senators to punish all the slaves of [name], both wicked and loyal. Some were afraid that in this way, innocent slaves would pay an unfair penalty. But Cassius had spoken so violently among the senators that no one dared to go against his opinion. The senators, therefore, when the few had been resisted, sent out soldiers to kill all the slaves of [name].

I have a few corrections.

1. 6 should be "do not want to kill..."
2. It is not innocent slaves. It is "some were afraid lest the innocent would pay unfair penalties in this way"
3. It is ablative absolute in last line with present participle, so "while few resisted"
Original post by metaltron
I have a few corrections.

1. 6 should be "do not want to kill..."
2. It is not innocent slaves. It is "some were afraid lest the innocent would pay unfair penalties in this way"
3. It is ablative absolute in last line with present participle, so "while few resisted"

1)NOLITE = imperative
2)Yes but we were taught to insert subjects to allow the English transaltion as it was 'darent' to make more sense. sic = in this way. where's your extra lest from?
3)Both translate correctly but absolute ablative strictly translates = with something -ing/having been/having
(edited 11 years ago)
1)NOLITE = imperative
2)Yes but we were taught to insert subjects to allow the English transaltion to make more sense. sic = in this way. where's your extra lest from?
3)Both translate correctly I realise.

No you have completely misunderstood the point of my corrections.

1) What is 'nolite' the imperative of?
2) It is not innocent slaves, THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE IN THE CONTEXT. It is also punishments not punishment.
3) It is not passive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know vaguely how the translation is marked, as in each sentence? :smile:
1)NOLITE = imperative
2)Yes but we were taught to insert subjects to allow the English transaltion as it was 'darent' to make more sense. sic = in this way. where's your extra lest from?
3)Both translate correctly but absolute ablative strictly translates = with something -ing/having been/having

Are you going to correct your mistakes. I put 'lest' due to the "ne" clause. I always think "in case" is a better translation but is never in the mark scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest