The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History - Unit 3 - Option A - Revolution and Conflict in England

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The.Joker
I have two exams on Monday so I'll be revising a bit more of bio tomorrow. I'm just gonna plan a few more side a questions and look over my notes for side taking and any events I feel sketchy on. I feel pretty good with history overall. I'm gonna try to be up from 6 am since I revise best in the mornings, probs will revise till 6/7pm (with regular breaks ofc).

I got an A for cw, I'd like an A* tbh but to guarantee it I'll need 116/120 ums which is equivalent to dropping only 4 raw marks in the entire paper! I'll be over the moon with an A though.

Yeah its just your bog standard 30 marker structure.

For the 40 marker I only do 3 paragraphs (each are very long though) on each of the sources. I use own knowledge to back up the sources if that makes sense i.e. if source 7 argues religion was an important factor I quote from it and I might use the prayer book rebellion/LAudian reforms etc to support it.

Okay thank you so much. I feel so stressed! I always completely blank in exams, which is why I did well in the coursework, because I had the information there in front of me. I'm hoping that if I can write a well structured, coherent argument that the lack of knowledge might not matter quite so much and I'll still get a C. Wishful thinking perhaps!
Reply 21
Original post by ezzy1234
I think it's the only way to live, in regard to A level History.

hey! this is what it says in the spec for the controversy side-taking part:

The first controversy requires specific knowledge of the patternsof allegiance developed in 1640-43 and the ability to relate theseto the wider issues and causes of crisis in order to assess whatdetermined ‘side taking’ and to understand why the issue remainscontroversial. They should be aware of the different attempts toexplain the causes of the war, the varying emphasis placed byhistorians on religious, constitutional, economic and individualcircumstances, the contradictory nature of the available evidence,and the difficulties of relating wider issues to personal motivation.
Okay thank you so much. I feel so stressed! I always completely blank in exams, which is why I did well in the coursework, because I had the information there in front of me. I'm hoping that if I can write a well structured, coherent argument that the lack of knowledge might not matter quite so much and I'll still get a C. Wishful thinking perhaps!

A well structured essay is so, so, so important in doing well. You can regurgitate all the info in the world but if the essay isn't coherent/have an argument then it's hard to do well. Like one essay I did my teacher said I'd be lucky to get a C because the points were all jumbled up. As long as your essay is focused on the question and has relevant examples to back up your point then you'll be fine.

Since it's a two hour exam just take 5 mins before writing to plan your essay first and really think what to include. Once you have a plan just make sure you are following it and directly refer to the question. For example if it is a to what extent question, always use phrases like 'the extent of the New Model Army was far more important' or 'the Scottish alliance however had a far greater impact' at the beginning of your paragraphs. Things like that really have a large impact on the essay overall.
Reply 23
A well structured essay is so, so, so important in doing well. You can regurgitate all the info in the world but if the essay isn't coherent/have an argument then it's hard to do well. Like one essay I did my teacher said I'd be lucky to get a C because the points were all jumbled up. As long as your essay is focused on the question and has relevant examples to back up your point then you'll be fine.

Since it's a two hour exam just take 5 mins before writing to plan your essay first and really think what to include. Once you have a plan just make sure you are following it and directly refer to the question. For example if it is a to what extent question, always use phrases like 'the extent of the New Model Army was far more important' or 'the Scottish alliance however had a far greater impact' at the beginning of your paragraphs. Things like that really have a large impact on the essay overall.

THANK YOU. I will do that, and make sure I link everything back to the question. I'm confident that I can write a good essay, so long as I don't get mixed up with my time periods or include the wrong 'knowledge' bits. I can always hope. Do you think just revising for Side Taking is a risky move?
Reply 24
Original post by cc44
hey! this is what it says in the spec for the controversy side-taking part:

The first controversy requires specific knowledge of the patternsof allegiance developed in 1640-43 and the ability to relate theseto the wider issues and causes of crisis in order to assess whatdetermined ‘side taking’ and to understand why the issue remainscontroversial. They should be aware of the different attempts toexplain the causes of the war, the varying emphasis placed byhistorians on religious, constitutional, economic and individualcircumstances, the contradictory nature of the available evidence,and the difficulties of relating wider issues to personal motivation.

It really does sound as if they fully intend for there to be a question on each. It just worries me that it doesn't say it explicitly.
THANK YOU. I will do that, and make sure I link everything back to the question. I'm confident that I can write a good essay, so long as I don't get mixed up with my time periods or include the wrong 'knowledge' bits. I can always hope. Do you think just revising for Side Taking is a risky move?

My teacher only taught us side taking. She said the examiners have said there will always be a question on side taking for side b. Idk wtf the protectorate even is. :rofl:

Anyone else going to procrastinate and watch the CL final? :colondollar:
Since I'll be waking up early to revise tomorrow I think I can afford to watch the game tonight...
Reply 26
My teacher only taught us side taking. She said the examiners have said there will always be a question on side taking for side b. Idk wtf the protectorate even is. :rofl:

Anyone else going to procrastinate and watch the CL final? :colondollar:
Since I'll be waking up early to revise tomorrow I think I can afford to watch the game tonight...

Your teacher sounds fantastic haha - ours had no idea about anything :frown: I'm going to revise like crazy for side taking and hope to god I can ace that question so it takes a bit of the pressure off for the A question.

Haha I can't afford to, my whole life is a procrastination... But you sound well prepared, so go for it ;-)

That comment will make me sleep tonight!!! :smile:
Yo guys,
There a sort of pattern on the papers given in the past.
On june 2014= personal rule of Charles and Civil war related.
2013= Civil war related
2012= Personal rule related
2011= Civil war related
2010= Personal rule related
Im feel like the first question will be on factors of Parliament led to victory, or factors of Royalist led them to fail, or Parliament to victory...
Anyone with me??
Reply 29
Original post by StevieGrg
Yo guys,
2013= Civil war related
2011= Civil war related
Im feel like the first question will be on factors of Parliament led to victory, or factors of Royalist led them to fail, or Parliament to victory...
Anyone with me??

I'd love for you to be right so I could just revise that loads tomorrow and have it all fresh in my mind
Original post by StevieGrg
Yo guys,
2013= Civil war related
2011= Civil war related
Anyone with me??

I hope that comes up, but a "why did parliament win/royalists lose" question has come up in 2013 and 2014 too :/
Also guys, what kind of questions do you think they will ask for the 1646-53 period? as they've only asked one and it was about whether the army was reluctant or not to try to take over the country
anyone got any revision notes they wanna share? i cant find any online.
Original post by inder123
I hope that comes up, but a "why did parliament win/royalists lose" question has come up in 2013 and 2014 too :/

I kno, but my teacher said they will have to ask a questions that is before Civil War or after Civil War. I hope he is right, because I feel like the personal rule, and the factors leading the Parliament to win or lose questions are easy and feel like I can do well in.
Reply 34
What does your teacher mean they 'have to'? How can he be so sure?? :smile:
What does your teacher mean they 'have to'? How can he be so sure?? :smile:

Not really sure tbh. I was not there when he said it. It was my friend who passed on the message to me. But maybe because all the past paper have had either a personal rule question, or a civil war related question.

btw, since posting on this thread i've probably spent around 5 mins in total watching your Joker gif
Original post by inder123
btw, since posting on this thread i've probably spent around 5 mins in total watching your Joker gif

haha it is quite mesmerising :wink:

I think why did the settlement fail will come up, it's been 5 years since it last came up!! Or something about Charles political/financial failures or something similar related to the personal rule. I don't see how Parliaments victory will come up 3 years on the bounce (as much as I'd love it to come up).
I think 1 of the question will deffo be either personal rule related or civil war related. Did you guys do China for your AS unit 1?
Reply 39
My bet for tomorrow:

Part A: Why did political settlement fail leading to Charles execution
Commonwealth question

Part B: Economics for side-taking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending