Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running Mile times

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, whats your miles times everyone? what would be an ok/decent one, I started running abit since end of last year, I quickly got it to 6:20 but never really pushed beyond that. I dont really run consistantly which probably doesnt hellp
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HypErTwisT)
    Just wondering, whats your miles times everyone? what would be an ok/decent one, I started running abit since end of last year, I quickly got it to 6:20 but never really pushed beyond that. I dont really run consistantly which probably doesnt hellp
    I'm around 4.40 but I am probably not the best one to compare to as it was on track and I am 800m/400m county champ.

Be encouraged that is a good time, have you looked at parkrun?

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

It's a weekly 5k (around 3.11Mi) time trial around a local park (most places have one now) and you can use it to compare improvement.

The key to running fast mile times (or any distance of that order) is miles, build up your endurance with steady running and times will come down, don't kill yourself every run or you'll burn yourself out!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I started running regularly about 2 weeks. My current mile time is 9'05. That is pretty pathetic, I know. I haven't actually had a full-on solid attempt at completing a mile in the fastest time I could manage, but I reckon right now it would be around the 7/8 min mile mark.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine is 8:28. And that was at a really crap race.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    imo if you can hold it anywhere near 6 minutes that's good enough. I was going to work down to 5 earlier in the year but decided I can't be arsed because running is horrible and I'd have to lose about 30lbs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a feeling I've dipped under 6 minutes once or twice. Distinctly remember a 3x1 mile with 2 minutes rest all around 6:10-6:15. That was hell on earth for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it depends on:
    your level
    your training
    your race distance

for a casual runner that is a fine run time. If you want to compete in the olympics, its a bit slow.

Comparing one mile times is not really a good comparison. A track racer who races in the region of 1/2 to a full mile will usually be faster than the mile time of a 10K or half marathon runner, but that doesnt make the short distance guy a better runner per se.

having said all that, any distance about 10K and over, if your average mile is around the 6 minute mark, you can consider that a respectable time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.