Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M90 - Opposition to minimum pricing on alcohol Motion

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    M90 - Opposition to minimum pricing on alcohol motion, Mr DangermouseThis house criticises the attempts of the Scottish government to undermine the freedom of individuals and retailers by introducing a 50p per unit minimum price on alcohol. The house also discourages any attempts from the UK government to introduce a similar policy.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this - introducing a minimum price is the first step towards removing the ability of super-markets to under-cut pubs so drastically and so, in theory, should help protect the public houses somewhat.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to say its up to the person if they want to wreck their liver or not, but with the effects that drunkenness can have on others around you, Im swinging towards supporting this motion
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no minimum price for mixers Irn Bru and Red Bull, (or Tonic for the posh parts of Edinburgh), so it won't affect poor people as much as middle class people in Hillhead who now will have to pay nearly £5 for a bottle of wine.

So compared with some taxes and other price rises, the minimum price is a progressive measure.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    I'm tempted to say its up to the person if they want to wreck their liver or not, but with the effects that drunkenness can have on others around you, Im swinging towards supporting this motion
    Surely that would make you lean towards OPPOSING the motion?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Damn skippy.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Surely that would make you lean towards OPPOSING the motion?
    Not really, introducing a minimum price per unit makes it more expensive to purchase alcohol from a supermarket. We need to stop people having a few at home before they go out for even more...

Edit: misread it, sorry, im still undecided though :s
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Aye. Though I want to see alcohol prices increased, I think a minimum price is too blunt a means to do it. It penalises lower-class people when big drinkers are more likely to be middle class, especially among young people.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Not really, introducing a minimum price per unit makes it more expensive to purchase alcohol from a supermarket. We need to stop people having a few at home before they go out for even more...
    So you support the idea of a minimum price and hence oppose the motion.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hell to the yeah, 50p per unit minimum can **** right off!!

I need my alcohols
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)

I need my alcohols
    You don't even live in Scotland...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    So you support the idea of a minimum price and hence oppose the motion.
    ah, misread the motion

But as im undecided, i can still swing towards yes... (saved that, sort of )
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

I need my alcohols
    I don't recall minimum pricing being in Monsieur Hollande's manifesto?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lipvig)
    You don't even live in Scotland...
    And? why should that stop me from showing my displeasure at a minimum pricing for alcohol... your not 18 are you? if you were, you'd understand what alcohol and pre-drinks mean to a guy before they go out and get hammered

If I am paying **** loads then I'd rather do kilos of charlie than drink.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    And? why should that stop me from showing my displeasure at a minimum pricing for alcohol... your not 18 are you? if you were, you'd understand what alcohol and pre-drinks mean to a guy before they go out and get hammered

If I am paying **** loads then I'd rather do kilos of charlie than drink.
    Who said I was in favor of minimum pricing? I was simply implying that you don't live in Scotland.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    the tax payers of the UK are already squeezed enough as it is, is further pummerling one of their last remaining little luxuries really such a good move? no from me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:

I need my alcohols
    I wouldn't have thought that would affect you, seeing as only the cheapest of alcohol would be affected by a 50p a unit minimum price. Unless you're saying you have a penchant for white cider?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    the tax payers of the UK are already squeezed enough as it is, is further pummerling one of their last remaining little luxuries really such a good move? no from me.
    Just to clarify for you, this motion is criticising the 50p per unit minimum pricing. Therefore, by saying no, you are, in effect, promoting said minimum price, which you don't seem to be in favour of, so you probably mean a "yes from me".
Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.