Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did you react?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading on TSR that one of my universities had already given out offers to those who were interviewed later than me, so I thought it was unlikely for me to be receiving an offer form them. During my routine daily checking of email I was shocked to see that my track status had changed. The signs point to a rejection but I was still holding on to some hope that it will be an offer. With shaky hands and a heavily pounding heart I logged into track.

And I found out that I got an unconditional offer! First thing I did was to shout out to the people in the living room that I was going to medical school (Later on one of them told me I sounded annoyingly super-excited :P) Next I called my parents and sms-ed closed friends. Finally, I was down to reading the offer letter. Then, it really sank into me that all my hard work had finally paid off, and I was a huge step closer to my ambition. Yes, tears of joy rolled and I was shaking away. I never thought that I would receive grades that would enable me to apply to medical school, much less be invited to interviews with my lacklustre school achievements and of course offered a place.

One of the best days ever (tied with the day I received my A levels results) and I'm still smiling as I type this

Sorry if I still sound annoyingly super-excited
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    this thread makes me smile
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    this thread makes me smile
    I'm liking the sig.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    I'm liking the sig.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest after 3 years applying I felt numb, I suppose I was kind of shocked!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was at a friend's house and knew the email would come from Oxford at around 6pm. I had been preparing myself for the worst so burst into tears when I saw it was an offer
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well after logging into UCAS track and seeing my offer I burst into tears. It meant a lot especially as it was my third time applying. Then I phoned my dad who was on a plane at that moment about to board and he screamed down the phone (a happy scream) and told me that he'd call me back because everyone on the plane was staring at him .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I remember getting my offer to my first choice. I was on my gap year in a tiny internet cafe and you could see Mt. Kilimanjaro out the window. Perfect setting. I was a bit subdued though because it was a very hushed setting and in a bit of a rough area so I didn't want to draw attention to myself.

The part that had the most emotional impact on me though was what happened when I got home.
    Although I'd written a letter to accept my place and gotten the folks at home to send in certificates and things, the day after I got back (with a flight+layover > a day travel time) I opened a UCAS letter to see that I'd been rejected from both offers for lack of a reply. And that I was one week past the automatic reversal window for it.

My heart dropped out my body quicker than anything I can remember. And I've watched Rebecca Black's friday. :/

Thankfully though, it all got sorted out and I got to start that September. Woo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think every time I had an update, I was in a lecture, surrounded by those that had heard nothing.
    Out of decency, I checked on my phone then said nothing. To no one.
    My housemate knew, but apart from that, people on the course only found out weeks later when others had heard things.

Inside though, I was smiling a great deal!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was living abroad, on skype to my parents, I was told I wouldn't hear so soon post interview so I thought it was a rejection when I got the email.
    Went on to track, sort of sat there like what the hell how has this happened, squealed a bit, went and told my friends I was living with, cried a bit and was in absolute shock for 2 full days including for my next interview. But it was sort of a good shock feeling, like omg I actually did it.

I think it has only just sunk in now. I wasn't even that happy, just shocked, I never thought I'd make it and then came out with 4 offers so I was very lucky .

Edit: not sure why I got negged for just replying honestly to a thread?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love this thread btw nice to hear peoples happy stories but sad to hear about the not so happy ones.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just casually eating my frosted shreddies and checked emails. It was a huge shock considering I was on the waiting list and was told I wouldn't hear until August! So decided to ring my mum and burst out crying. I couldn't compose myself for a bit so the poor woman thought something awful had happened!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could tell you guys a dignified story of me getting my offer but the moment I read the news - I genuinely lost the plot.

I remember waking up to finding an email notification, the next thing I remember was me repeatedly shouting: 'oh my god...oh my god...oh my god'

In all the excitement I managed to fall off my bed, I didn't care though. I then ran around the house to find that no-one was home & managed to find a phone to tell my parents the good news.

Applying to medicine is mentally & emotionally draining, not to mention one of the biggest head ****s, and so that feeling of acceptance and recognition is truly unforgettable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    I wish I could tell you guys a dignified story of me getting my offer but the moment I read the news - I genuinely lost the plot.

I remember waking up to finding an email notification, the next thing I remember was me repeatedly shouting: 'oh my god...oh my god...oh my god'

In all the excitement I managed to fall off my bed, I didn't care though. I then ran around the house to find that no-one was home & managed to find a phone to tell my parents the good news.

Applying to medicine is mentally & emotionally draining, not to mention one of the biggest head ****s, and so that feeling of acceptance and recognition is truly unforgettable.
    Couldn't agree more! I did laugh at falling off the bed though lol.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually cried when I had my first interview come through because it initially said I needed a passport for proof of identity and I immediately thought that it was all ruined because I didn't have one

Then my first response was a rejection and I felt terrible and just tried to completely ignore it.

But then my second response was an offer and I just screamed and laughed a lot and my brother was the only person home so I just kept shouting "omg" down the stairs at him... :lol:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherbet)
    came out with 4 offers so I was very lucky .

Edit: not sure why I got negged for just replying honestly to a thread?
    Haters.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    First offer: OMG! OMG! Ran around my room, ran downstairs to tell my mum who immediately started crying, printed the letter. Ran around some more, feeling happy/dazed/excited.

Rejection from first choice: **** you, saw it coming.
    Next rejection: Pissed off, bit confused, **** you again.

Last offer: YESSSSS!

Process over
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last year: i got all my rejections in the same week.. wasnt too fussed about the 1st three. When i got my last one (only post-interview rej) I had to leave for work in about 2 minutes - so didnt bother telling parents. I was totally devastated though and didnt really want to tell anyone in the hospital either. After this, I drove straight to a "date" which was planned weeks ago - i think it would be fair to say i wasnt the best company i could be lol. weirdly, stayed with him for about a year.

This year, im on a gap year and after each interview invitation mail - Id burst into my parents room and spill. (aswell as call the parent(s) not at home). Reacted in much the same way when i got my offer. THink i screamed a little too. and fist pumped. followed by a victory dance followed by a spin to the beach blasting my music (not like me at all!) i was so ecstatic i bought an icecream even though it was freezing, AND tipped the guy loads (payed a fiver and just left all the change) haha. On my way home i bought a load of munchies then just chillllled the **** out

..cant believe its been 3 months since!! another 3 to goooooo..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is making me grin like a loon

and I'm not applying for anything remotely to do with medicine.
    My friend I think got all his offers for medicine....he deserves them all!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ae4dd42a-a495-c35e.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	152316

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 23, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.