The Student Room Group

How did you react?

Scroll to see replies

I cannot describe the feeling in just words, it was something like I have achieved my goal in life, lol , I was like I was doctor, told my friend who I was chatting that I was going to be a doctor and went downstairs and told my parents, after which the emphatic feeling went down.

And then came my 3 rejections from my other choices, since they were my first choices it put me really down, I cannot just imagine what would have happened if I didn't have the offer from Birmingham when I got those rejections one by one. That made me feel that I was special in having that offer, and it was that offer to study medicine that was important, not where. ( as far as it is accredited by the GMC lol )

I had initially considered reapplying again, but then wasting an year and the risk of not getting any offers and at the same time the end result going to be the same( doctor ) made me decide against it.
I received my medical school offers in 2000. 12 years on, I still have the offer letters they sent me, I kept every single one, and I can still remember opening each one of them...
Was working at the time and on break in the hospital canteen. Randomly checked my mobile phone (as you do) and saw two emails from UCAS stating my track had updated. Logged on to see both an unsuccessful and an unconditional, then calmly put my phone back in my pocket.

No fist pumping or jumping up and down or anything like that. Just the calm cool and relaxed realisation that one significant hurdle in my medical career had been safely negotiated.

In retrospect, I sort of wished I had the opportunity to make more of a big deal about it but I was truthfully more relieved than anything else!
Reply 43
Original post by why-hello-there
In the morning I got rejected from St Andrew's, meaning Glasgow was my last shot (still my preferred though luckily). I got in and did the usual checking of the medical school threads, but didn't expect anything as Glasgow were saying offers wouldn't be given out for another few days. I had a look on the thread and saw everyone saying 'OFFER!!!' and was like 'TO HOTMAIL!' ...nothing. Don't know why, but I thought Glasgow gave out all of their offers in one big batch and everyone got their offer at the exact same time, so after half an hour of waiting I was pretty close to tears (frustration that all the waiting had been for nothing), kind of in the foetal position on the couch. Anyways, suddenly my dad sees I have an email from UCAS as I'd left my hotmail open and since it was all offers on here, I kind of knew that was me sorted. My brother logged on to my track for me while I was kind of...preparing to celebrate? Like when a player takes it round the keeper in football and you're just waiting for him to slot it in, praying he doesn't miss :tongue:. But aye, as soon as he said 'conditional' I started dancing round the room like a maniac. :biggrin:

What made the day even more perfect was that I heard Let Down by Radiohead for the first time that morning-probably my favourite song ever now. :tongue:

Bit of an essay ^^ but it was nice thinking about it again. :tongue:

ahh yeah, let down is a real belter, very epic, I see what you mean.
Reply 44
I found it difficult. I was accepted unconditional on the first instance of application, but the last uni to respond. But the other 4 were unsuccessful. I had 4 unsuccessful and started to think I wasn't going to uni. My college grades were not good.

I was ecstatic and dancing around like a little girl. It is the best thing that has ever happened. Well, apart from passing my car and motorbike tests.
Reply 45
Oddly, I actually responded more excitedly to my Nottingham offer than to my Cambridge one, simply because it was my first offer. I was just idly checking Track (this was back in the day when it was really slow and clunky, and you didn't get e-mail notifications), saw the offer pop up and squealed "I'm going to be a doctor!"

My Cambridge offer came on 28th December. My dad brought me the letter while I was still in bed. I opened it, didn't really read the first bit of the text but saw "A in Chemistry, A in Mathematics, A in Biology," muttered something about "Yay, I got in" and tried to go back to sleep. Unfortunately the rest of my family weren't having any of that.
Reply 46
I got rejected by Nottingham (last uni I had left) and I was pretty calm actually because I was expecting it, prepared for the worst. I just got my thoughts in order, accepted the gap year and started planning. Then baam, I got an interview at Nottingham and man I cried like a baby. I was angry, so angry lool weird emotion you would have expected me to be happy. It was just at I accepted the gap year, was busy concentrating on my exams and out of nowhere they changed their mind. Then got rejected post interview... obv pretty gutted. Next thing I know, they changed their mind again and placed me on a waiting list which I also got rejected from. A month ago I got my feedback which was great, the interviewers gave me great feedback and I was told that I should call in on results day to see whether they have space.

Story of my life. Heart wrenching experience and a fun rollercoaster ahaha :laugh:. Though I am more than happy to go through it all again next year... this time with an unconditional offer at the end please!
Original post by sumsum123
I got rejected by Nottingham (last uni I had left) and I was pretty calm actually because I was expecting it, prepared for the worst. I just got my thoughts in order, accepted the gap year and started planning. Then baam, I got an interview at Nottingham and man I cried like a baby. I was angry, so angry lool weird emotion you would have expected me to be happy. It was just at I accepted the gap year, was busy concentrating on my exams and out of nowhere they changed their mind. Then got rejected post interview... obv pretty gutted. Next thing I know, they changed their mind again and placed me on a waiting list which I also got rejected from. A month ago I got my feedback which was great, the interviewers gave me great feedback and I was told that I should call in on results day to see whether they have space.

Story of my life. Heart wrenching experience and a fun rollercoaster ahaha :laugh:. Though I am more than happy to go through it all again next year... this time with an unconditional offer at the end please!

LOL, demand that Nottingham give you an unconditional offer as an apology (which shall be accepted very gladly by you :tongue:) for leading you on a lot :colone:
Reply 48
Original post by thegodofgod
LOL, demand that Nottingham give you an unconditional offer as an apology (which shall be accepted very gladly by you :tongue:) for leading you on a lot :colone:

Great idea :laugh: , I would more than gladly accept it aha!
Reply 49
Bit late into this thread...

I'm a graduate applicant currently working in an office. I got an email from UCAS saying *somthing* had changed in the portal while I was at work. I'd already had a rejection from King's so I was expecing the same from another uni but was too scared to check at work. After about 10/15 minutes I finally plucked up the courage to log in and check.

I had an unconditional offer from Newcastle.

Elation, panic, elation, welling-up, elation (repeat). My hands were shaking, I wanted to jump around like a lunatic and then I remembered I was in an office full of people who had no idea I'd applied to go to uni to study medicine. It's weird trying to act all calm when your head is screaming!

I ran out of the office to ring my parents and partner. Having someone to get excited with calmed me right down!
Reply 50
For a reason I can't remember I checked my emails and then UCAS at a party. It was a rejection and I ruined the evening 'cause I just sat in the corner and cried after having a few too many drinks.

When I got my offer from Birmingham I fell of my chair cause I tried to run to find my mum and didn't manage to coordinate my legs in all the excitement.
Reply 51
I applied twice. First time I got 4 straight rejections. I was upset, but I never really expected to get in. Second time round I got 1 interview to start the cycle off with, then 3 straight rejections, then an offer around mid April. Was so happy, I'd been to uni for a lecture that morning and came back home to chill for a bit. It wasn't actually an email notification that alerted me to it, I actually saw that a load of people had received offers from Nottingham on the Nottingham applicants chat thread. So I was like "why the hell haven't I heard yet then?!". Then I checked my phone, saw an email notification, scrambled onto track and beheld my offer. I think my exact reaction was "YYYEEEEEESSS!!". Then I took the dump of my life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Robertall

I was ecstatic and dancing around like a little girl. It is the best thing that has ever happened. Well, apart from passing my car and motorbike tests.

driving > doctor? ....... really? just you on this one i think :tongue:

Great idea :laugh: , I would more than gladly accept it aha!

I cannot believe they messed you about so much!!! As its results day today - did you call up? what was the verdict? genuinely cant believe your story! I thought mine was bad.. Last year, i had one interview, 3 straight rejections.. after months of waiting for this interview they told me il hear from them within 3 weeks at most. i didnt. i then got put on "hold" .. eventually i was rejected at basically april. I checked it on my phone while driving to work - i know, naughty.. and then had to deal with blurry vision while driving and battle tears through my shift. Came home, didnt tell anyone for a couple days - didnt want to deal with the drama. But anyway, one year on, 3 interviews later, after being put on hold again, Im now going to the same university to study medicine!! So excited :biggrin: But goddam why couldnt they just give me this place last year!
Reply 53
Original post by tpxvs
driving > doctor? ....... really? just you on this one i think :tongue:

I cannot believe they messed you about so much!!! As its results day today - did you call up? what was the verdict? genuinely cant believe your story! I thought mine was bad.. Last year, i had one interview, 3 straight rejections.. after months of waiting for this interview they told me il hear from them within 3 weeks at most. i didnt. i then got put on "hold" .. eventually i was rejected at basically april. I checked it on my phone while driving to work - i know, naughty.. and then had to deal with blurry vision while driving and battle tears through my shift. Came home, didnt tell anyone for a couple days - didnt want to deal with the drama. But anyway, one year on, 3 interviews later, after being put on hold again, Im now going to the same university to study medicine!! So excited :biggrin: But goddam why couldnt they just give me this place last year!

Omg totally forgot to give the ending to my awkward, long story. I know right!! But guess what, I GOT AN OFFER!! Booyah! I called them but noone would pick up and then the admissions tutor called my mobile, asked what I got and gave me an offer there and then :redface: :redface: :redface:. am applying to student finance first time now and have no accomodation but I am one happy bunny. I sleep on a bunk bed and yes I fell off my bunk bed. One bruise and one unconditional offer later I am over the moon. Yerhh it was a sucky road but man is it worth it!!!!!

Awww that must have been horrible! But CONGRATS on getting in at the same uni this year! Must be an awesome feeling. You got there in the end :wink:
Omg totally forgot to give the ending to my awkward, long story. I know right!! But guess what, I GOT AN OFFER!! Booyah! I called them but noone would pick up and then the admissions tutor called my mobile, asked what I got and gave me an offer there and then :redface: :redface: :redface:. am applying to student finance first time now and have no accomodation but I am one happy bunny. I sleep on a bunk bed and yes I fell off my bunk bed. One bruise and one unconditional offer later I am over the moon. Yerhh it was a sucky road but man is it worth it!!!!!

Awww that must have been horrible! But CONGRATS on getting in at the same uni this year! Must be an awesome feeling. You got there in the end :wink:

Brilliant ending to the story. So happy for you!
Reply 55
Original post by groovyangel2008
Brilliant ending to the story. So happy for you!

Thank you so much :biggrin:!
(edited 11 years ago)
I was in biology one morning, whipped my phone out for a sneaky email check and saw the standard "UCAS Track has been updated" email. I had already had two rejections and a waiting list by this point, so even though my Nottingham interview had gone really well I was nervous as hell. Went up to the teacher and told him I needed to take 10 minutes then sprinted to the 6th form computer room. Logged on to the slowest PC in the school. Waited. Got online. Waited for the website to load. Conditional.

****ING YES! I tend to swear pretty loudly when I'm excited. After doing my victory dance and freaking out my mate who was playing robot unicorn on the next computer I rang my dad at work, logged out and went back to class cool as anything.
My reaction:
First time round I applied - 4 rejections, each one with increasing despair.

Second time round - 1 rejection (I recognise this feeling!), 2 rejections (Oh God...), 3 rejections (pass me the Absinthe), then I finally got an offer. I was absolutely ecstatic, think I literally jumped around the room and had a stupid grin on my face for months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending