Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is Dentistry for me ?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    alright guys heres the issue, im going to be 21 soon and this is the 3rd year i have applied for dentistry and have been rejected by all my universities, I applied to leeds, birmingham, manchester, essex and sheffield and got rejected by all of them. My grades are below:

GCSE:
    Maths A
    English A*
    English Literature A
    Science double award AA
    History B
    Design and technology 4 distinctions

A level:
    Chemistry A
    Biology A
    A.S. Physics C
    Sociology A
    Science in society C (critical thinking a-level, you cant revise for it, lol)

I got pointers from dentistry students in writing my personal statement which secured me interviews with the universities but i still get rejected, in my interview's im calm, cool and collected, i joke with the interviewers and keep the tension to a minimum, when asked a question i take a few seconds to my self to gather my thoughts and then asnwer so i dont babble or say erm.

I have two years of work experience with in a dental practice and i know him very well as he is my dentist, i asked him about the issue and he said its that im too big and come across as butch ( ive been weightlifting since the age of 13 and have made terrific gains lol), which i agreed with as my tutor said the same thing when i was doing a-level, they both said that you need to have a soft nature in this job to comfort your patients and that if i was their dentist theyd be scared to get in the chair.

So do you think i shold pursue something else and give up on dentistry however the issue is that this is all i wanted to do as a career
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vshay)

I have two years of work experience with in a dental practice and i know him very well as he is my dentist, i asked him about the issue and he said its that im too big and come across as butch ( ive been weightlifting since the age of 13 and have made terrific gains lol), which i agreed with as my tutor said the same thing when i was doing a-level, they both said that you need to have a soft nature in this job to comfort your patients and that if i was their dentist theyd be scared to get in the chair.

So do you think i shold pursue something else and give up on dentistry however the issue is that this is all i wanted to do as a career
    Hi, that really sucks, I'm sorry. Personally, the 'butchness' of my dentist would not put me off at all, so I really hope that is not the reason because it would be so judgemental and unfair. Not to say that there's anything wrong with your interview technique, lots of really, really good candidates will be rejected, there's always an element of luck involved.

If it's what you really want to do, persevere. Have you got a job? Try and get work of a nature that would prove you can be delicate with your hands in spite of your size. Something like a phlebotomist maybe? I worked in a lab and got the chance to be trained to take blood and I think this helped secure me a place.

Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vshay)
    alright guys heres the issue, im going to be 21 soon and this is the 3rd year i have applied for dentistry and have been rejected by all my universities, I applied to leeds, birmingham, manchester, essex and sheffield and got rejected by all of them. My grades are below:

GCSE:
    Maths A
    English A*
    English Literature A
    Science double award AA
    History B
    Design and technology 4 distinctions

A level:
    Chemistry A
    Biology A
    A.S. Physics C
    Sociology A
    Science in society C (critical thinking a-level, you cant revise for it, lol)

I got pointers from dentistry students in writing my personal statement which secured me interviews with the universities but i still get rejected, in my interview's im calm, cool and collected, i joke with the interviewers and keep the tension to a minimum, when asked a question i take a few seconds to my self to gather my thoughts and then asnwer so i dont babble or say erm.

hi, just came across this thread, and i can understand how u feel. i got rejected 2 years in a row, and because i have also only ever wanted to be a dentist by profession, i figured it doesn't matter where you qualify from. so decided to look to europe to study dentistry. i don't know if you have considered moving abroad to study but i did a bit of research and found out about UEM. they offer a dentistry course taught in english. after doing a bit more research, i decided to apply, but i had to go through an agent. in fact, i only sent my application to them yesterday. i am now just waiting for a reply from them.

there is a website: www.gdc-spain.com
    it's worth a look.

hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did any of the schools give an 'official' reason for rejecting you? Whilst I can imagine being big wouldn't help I'd like to think the selectors could see a little beyond this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptKernow)
    Did any of the schools give an 'official' reason for rejecting you? Whilst I can imagine being big wouldn't help I'd like to think the selectors could see a little beyond this.
    None mentioned the reason i was rejected, i thought my interviews went really well, especially with Leeds since they really do grill you but once they saw me staying relaxed and knew what i was talking about they calmed down and started talking to me on more of a friend level. The only thing i believe may let me down slightly was my reference from my college lecturer which stated that in my A.S studies i rarely took part in academic discussions and kept myself to myself however when they ask me about that i mention how my friends from nursery were my friends through secondary school and we all lived together close by to each other and as a result i did not meet new people so didn't have the confidence or skills to interact with new faces but that changed as i transitioned from A.S to A2 study. Other than that I have no idea what I am doing wrong, i practiced the way i walk, talk and sit so that my body language shows confidence and wasn't giving off any wrong signs. Just don't know where to go from here, I know for a fact i can get into careers such as biomed or Human biology and virology but with in these careers you have very little or hardly any patient contact and i'll feel like i have thrown all my hard work away but most importantly I know ill hate it because it's not a career choice i wanted
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vshay)
    None mentioned the reason i was rejected, i thought my interviews went really well, especially with Leeds since they really do grill you but once they saw me staying relaxed and knew what i was talking about they calmed down and started talking to me on more of a friend level. The only thing i believe may let me down slightly was my reference from my college lecturer which stated that in my A.S studies i rarely took part in academic discussions and kept myself to myself however when they ask me about that i mention how my friends from nursery were my friends through secondary school and we all lived together close by to each other and as a result i did not meet new people so didn't have the confidence or skills to interact with new faces but that changed as i transitioned from A.S to A2 study. Other than that I have no idea what I am doing wrong, i practiced the way i walk, talk and sit so that my body language shows confidence and wasn't giving off any wrong signs. Just don't know where to go from here, I know for a fact i can get into careers such as biomed or Human biology and virology but with in these careers you have very little or hardly any patient contact and i'll feel like i have thrown all my hard work away but most importantly I know ill hate it because it's not a career choice i wanted

they don't usually give reasons... all they told me was that there was a lot of competition. thats all!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If it's your dream then keep going!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    If it's your dream then keep going!
    Dont want to be a 30 year old guy still tryingf to get into dentistry, lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vshay)
    Dont want to be a 30 year old guy still tryingf to get into dentistry, lol
    If you're worried about age and would rather spend the rest of your life in a career without patient contact then... give up?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'd say your best bet is to keep going, and strengthen your application with other activities and stuff so you have a range of things to draw on in interviews.

I don;t see how being butch would put them off, a friend of mine in my year (I'm a dental student) is a body builder and he got in, as did my bf

I know it's hard to keep going considering age and stuff, but a friend of mine is 23 and is going to be applying for medicine for the 5th time this year! Think about it this way- at the end of the day you're not likely to find or enjoy a better job than dentistry (which I'm presuming is a love of yours) so you may as well keep going for it! If I hadn't have gotten in last year I would have just kept applying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd say just go abroad. I had similar fears and took the plunge.. going to Valencia in September for Dentistry
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should record yourself whilst being interviewed by one of your friends. Take criticism well, if you're getting rejected multiple times at the interview stage, there is something inherently wrong with the way you are presenting yourself.

Good luck mate! And there are lots of pretty hench guys at dental school, if you think that's what's giving you an issue, it'll hold you back from finding the real problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they would reject you for being too butch. Seems a flimsy reason at best. I suggest you contact the universities and ask them for feedback on your application. Usually they're happy to let you know where you may have gone wrong.

Don't give up, if you really want to become a dentist! Plenty of people are rejected first time who re-apply and succeed. There may not have been much wrong with your application - dental schools get a massive number of applications for a small number of places, so sometimes they have to choose between two equally good candidates.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzycloud)
    I doubt they would reject you for being too butch. Seems a flimsy reason at best. I suggest you contact the universities and ask them for feedback on your application. Usually they're happy to let you know where you may have gone wrong.

Don't give up, if you really want to become a dentist! Plenty of people are rejected first time who re-apply and succeed. There may not have been much wrong with your application - dental schools get a massive number of applications for a small number of places, so sometimes they have to choose between two equally good candidates.
    if u manage to obtain feedback, please tell me how you went about doing it. cos all universities kept telling me was that there was loads of competition.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azcar121)
    if u manage to obtain feedback, please tell me how you went about doing it. cos all universities kept telling me was that there was loads of competition.
    I was rejected the first year I applied, and I think I just emailed them and said I was going to re-apply, asking for any feedback they could give me in order to improve my application. Email the person who handles the admissions - you should be able to find an address on the website. Alternatively you could give them a call, which is more direct and may get better results.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would love a butch man to slide his finger slowly into my mouth - slowly, seductively.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, If it's your dream, man, nothing more needs to be said: go for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash_1221)
    I'd say just go abroad. I had similar fears and took the plunge.. going to Valencia in September for Dentistry
    Let me guess. You know this great little school. Oh, what was its name? plug, plug

Cue Azcar121...

...if you guys are going to make up fake IDs and work together you could at least try using different numbers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess. You know this great little school. Oh, what was its name? plug, plug

Cue Azcar121...

...if you guys are going to make up fake IDs and work together you could at least try using different numbers!
    What if it's the same person?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lloyds)
    What if it's the same person?
    Noooooooo?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Noooooooo?!
    Anything is possible on TSR.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.