The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry Unit 2 and Unit 3 C2 C3 24th May 2012 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 61
Original post by Revision-
Thanks I've been using this one which i shouldn't have been using lol: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-4421-W-SP-12.PDF

Oh, crap. That one I sent is the Teachers' Guide. Just realised. The one you've got is the right one! :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by faddys123
got a 100 ums in C2 but C3 is harder

I got 100 UMS too. What was the grade boundries for 100 UMS?
Reply 63
I'd really appreciate it if someone could post the advantages and disadvantages of Newlands' and Mendeleev's periodic tables. And also same for Bronsted & Lowry, and Arrhenius.

My textbook's really vague.
Reply 64
Original post by flumpyfi
I'd really appreciate it if someone could post the advantages and disadvantages of Newlands' and Mendeleev's periodic tables. And also same for Bronsted & Lowry, and Arrhenius.

Seconded, the answer seems to vary from the cgp to the text book and the aqa spec.
Original post by flumpyfi

Newlands':
Adv: First time Elements were grouped together
Grouped in "Law of Octaves" - Every 8th Repeats Properties
Disadv: Ordered by Atomic Weight (RFM)
Only 56 Elements
Properties didn't always match well within groups

Mendeleev's:
Adv: Left Gaps for Undiscovered elements
Disadv: Gaps showed incompleteness and so it wasn't fully trusted immediately

DO NOT MENTION ELECTRONS FOR THIS - THEY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THEM

Arrhenius:
Idea that "Acids have Hydrogen ions, Bases have Hydroxide Ions"
Adv: First Acid-Base Theory

Bronsted-Lowry:
Idea that "Proton Donor = Acid, Proton Acceptor = Base"

Basically you don't need Advantages of Acid-Base Theory as such but more the definitions of Acids/Bases
(edited 11 years ago)
C3 is much harder!!

You know when water is filtered and purified, is it sedimentation (filters and lime added etc), and then chlorine is added to kill the bacteria?

And can water also be purified by distillation (condensing the steam from water) or by de-ionising everything but H+ and OH-?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 67
Can someone tell me all tests we need to know for Unit 3 chemistry because every past paper i do there is new ones!!!!!
Reply 68
can someone help and tell me what kind of questions you think we'll get?!
Reply 69
Original post by SJWest
Can someone tell me all tests we need to know for Unit 3 chemistry because every past paper i do there is new ones!!!!!

All the ones in the book : NaOH precipitate, flame test, Carbonate test, Nitrates, Sulfates, Ammonia.. Forgotten the rest if there are any left.
Original post by AngryBirds4
C3 is much harder!!

You know when water is filtered and purified, is it sedimentation (filters and lime added etc), and then chlorine is added to kill the bacteria?

And can water also be purified by distillation (condensing the steam from water) or by de-ionising everything but H+ and OH-?

For "How Britain Cleans Water/Makes it safe" Questions etc.

"Water from Reservoirs enter a Water Treatment plant. It is filtered and mud removed before being passed through several more filters including Fine Sand. Lime is added to remove clumps of dirt. By now the Water looks clean but it is still dangerous. Small quantities of Chlorine are added to destroy bacteria in the water before being stored ready to be pumped to homes"

Distillation is as you say evaporating then condensing but I wouldn't mention it for Cleaning Water
and yes De-Ionisation is removing all ions but H+ and OH-

Your best option is the "Water Treatment Plant" but you can mention De-Ionisation as well.
Reply 71
Original post by AngryBirds4
So is that why there's 10 elements per row?

Then why are there several rows if they all have the same number of electrons in the outer shell?

Ah they don't all have the same number of outer electrons (but it's OK to say this at GCSE to get the mark :smile: ). It's very complicated, but if you would like me to, I can try to explain it (although it may confuse many people) :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Ah they don't all have the same number of outer electrons (but it's OK to say this at GCSE to get the mark :smile: ). It's very complicated, but if you would like me to, I can try to explain it (although it may confuse many people) :smile:

Errm, okay.. So if I said the same number of outer electrons and extra electrons between the 2nd and 3rd energy level, I'd get the marks? Sounds good to me :smile:

You could explain if you like, but be prepared if my brain explodes

Reply 73
Hey guys,

I'm feeling pretty good about this, what do u think is gonna come up!??
I've attached the C3 Jan paper.
All the other papers are quite easy. Getting around the 40s, that one however, I probably just scraped 30s - I havent marked it yet.
Original post by letsbehonest
All the other papers are quite easy. Getting around the 40s, that one however, I probably just scraped 30s - I havent marked it yet.

my teacher gave our class the Jan 12 CHY3H paper as a mock, it was quite hard,but quite high grade boundaries
Original post by dtin
my teacher gave our class the Jan 12 CHY3H paper as a mock, it was quite hard,but quite high grade boundaries

I hope we get a straight forward questions. Some calculations and also a description of titration, water cycle, periodic table stuff.

What is 1bii)? evapouration? and what else?

and also the last calculation 5bii) ?
Is 5bi) just asking for a mean? Lol the question is so weird.
Original post by HollyD
Hey guys,

I'm feeling pretty good about this, what do u think is gonna come up!??

I think they're gonna give us some equations and tell us to say whats happening and I will have no bloody clue -.-
Reply 78
Original post by steviep14
Newlands':
Adv: First time Elements were grouped together
Grouped in "Law of Octaves" - Every 8th Repeats Properties
Disadv: Ordered by Atomic Weight (RFM)
Only 56 Elements
Properties didn't always match well within groups

Mendeleev's:
Adv: Left Gaps for Undiscovered elements
Disadv: Gaps showed incompleteness and so it wasn't fully trusted immediately

DO NOT MENTION ELECTRONS FOR THIS - THEY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THEM

Arrhenius:
Idea that "Acids have Hydrogen ions, Bases have Hydroxide Ions"
Adv: First Acid-Base Theory

Bronsted-Lowry:
Idea that "Proton Donor = Acid, Proton Acceptor = Base"

Basically you don't need Advantages of Acid-Base Theory as such but more the definitions of Acids/Bases

Thank you so much!
Reply 79
Original post by letsbehonest

Thank you very much for the paper! Do you also have the mark scheme?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending