The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C2 MAY 18th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alotties
Can anyone help me with question 12iv on the June 09 paper?
I am totally stumped :tongue:

Just looked up the boundaries for this paper. 51 for an A, that's really low omg it is a hard paper though imo!

If I count up my marks without answering the last two parts which I don't understand I still get 59! Pretty good :smile:

What is the question?
i have a question that I have been wondering for ages.

Is y=-sinx the same as y=sin(-x)

and is y=-cosx the same as y=cos(-x)

when i draw them they look the same?
Original post by BrightStar57
anyone guessing whats going to come on this years paper my bets are on MODELING CURVES!!!

triginometry, integration, logarithms, differentiation and sequences.

I bet loads on that
Original post by thegreenchildren
i have a question that I have been wondering for ages.

Is y=-sinx the same as y=sin(-x)

and is y=-cosx the same as y=cos(-x)

when i draw them they look the same?

Of course they do! You are plottting the same thing!
Reply 44
Original post by computer*wiz*
What is the question?

June 09 12iv

12 (i) Calculate the gradient of the chord joining the points on the curve y = x2 7 for which x = 3 and
x = 3.1. [2]
(ii) Given that f(x) = x2 7, find and simplify
(f(3 + h) f(3))/h. [3]
(iii) Use your result in part (ii) to find the gradient of y = x2 7 at the point where x = 3, showing
your reasoning. [2]
(iv) Find the equation of the tangent to the curve y = x2 7 at the point where x = 3. [2]
(v) This tangent crosses the x-axis at the point P. The curve crosses the positive x-axis at the point
Q. Find the distance PQ, giving your answer correct to 3 decimal places. [3]
Reply 45
Just got 68/72 on the May/June 08 paper :smile: I've done all the Summer papers now and most of the Jan ones. Don't think I'm going to do another... I should be fine.
Reply 46
Just got 68/72 on the May/June 08 paper :smile: I've done all the Summer papers now and most of the Jan ones. Don't think I'm going to do another... I should be fine.

well done :smile:.

Now just repeat that tomorrow :tongue:

I'm going to get stressed and drop stupid marks, I know it :/
Reply 47
Original post by Axion
well done :smile:.

Now just repeat that tomorrow :tongue:

I'm going to get stressed and drop stupid marks, I know it :/

It always happens tbf!!! Marks are so easily lost in exam conditions under pressure! The papers are way easier to do at home in a calm environment with maybe a bit of motivational music :tongue:

Let's both just hope for the best :biggrin:

What's your rough score from the unofficial markscheme from C1? :smile: I think the A boundary will be about 59 for that, so that 90UMS would be about 65/66. I think I'm on 64 but it depends on what I've remembered right :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
How the heck do you do the 'closer approximation' ones with the gradient???? I don't know which points to use:frown:
Reply 49
Original post by OJC
How the heck do you do the 'closer approximation' ones with the gradient???? I don't know which points to use:frown:

If it says something like a closer approximation to the point Y or something.
You use two values closer to that point
So if Y was 0.1 and before you were using 0.1 and 0.2 to measure the gradient, you'd use 0.1 and 0.15 for example because that is point is closer to Y hence closer to the actual gradient :smile:
I hope this is an okay explanation.
If you need help with a specific question, I can try to help.
Original post by OJC

You have to use a point which is closer to the point that you are trying to find the gradient of.

So say you are finding the gradient of point A and you are doing this by finding the gradient between A and B. You would choose an x value of B which is closer to A. Say A is 3 and B is 3.5, you find the gradient between those points. but to get a closer approximation you would choose a new point for B such as 3.2. so you would find the gradient between 3 and 3.2. this gives you a gradient that's a closer approximation of the gradient at point A.

sorry for the bad wording!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by GreenLantern1
Of course they do! You are plottting the same thing!

Please could you expand a bit? :colondollar:
im scared please pray for me
Reply 53
Original post by dongonaeatu
im scared please pray for me

I'm an atheist BUT things that make me feel slightly better about an exam are following silly superstitions because they can't harm my chances xD

I wear a horseshoe necklace to my exam to hope the paper is nice and I painted my nails happy colours to make me cheerful and I've slept with my maths textbook under my pillow for good luck. I know it sounds completely stupid but there's no harm in trying it :tongue:
I'm an atheist BUT things that make me feel slightly better about an exam are following silly superstitions because they can't harm my chances xD

I wear a horseshoe necklace to my exam to hope the paper is nice and I painted my nails happy colours to make me cheerful and I've slept with my maths textbook under my pillow for good luck. I know it sounds completely stupid but there's no harm in trying it :tongue:

haha aw thats quite cute.

My tradition is doing the cross sign just before i enter the exam hall.
Reply 55
haha aw thats quite cute.

My tradition is doing the cross sign just before i enter the exam hall.

Hahaha, I daren't tell anyone in real life else they'd laugh at me.
ALSO I always eat a banana about an hour before the exam, I think they make my brain work better :tongue:
Hahaha, I daren't tell anyone in real life else they'd laugh at me.
ALSO I always eat a banana about an hour before the exam, I think they make my brain work better :tongue:

Bananas do help a lot :tongue:
Reply 57
Original post by happyman888
Bananas do help a lot :tongue:

I think I'd panic if there were no bananas left on the day of an exam! They are essential to my pre exam ritual :colondollar:
I think I'd panic if there were no bananas left on the day of an exam! They are essential to my pre exam ritual :colondollar:

quickly what is area of a triangle and not the base times height divided by 2
Reply 59
quickly what is area of a triangle and not the base times height divided by 2

0.5 x a x b x sinC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending