The Student Room Group

A level Textiles

Hey guys!
I am completely new to this, so apologies if i sound completely geeky or whatever!
but basically, I do A-level textiles and there is absolutely NO revision available unless you want to look through the massive 'Textiles at the cutting edge' book for revision.

So, i put together a little booklet covering the majority of the theory side of things, it's not brilliant and there are a fair few things missing, as the spec is so broad!
but i thought i'd share it with anyone who's bothered anyway..

let me know what you think! and if you have your own resources they would be really appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JerassicaMarshman
Hey guys!
I am completely new to this, so apologies if i sound completely geeky or whatever!
but basically, I do A-level textiles and there is absolutely NO revision available unless you want to look through the massive 'Textiles at the cutting edge' book for revision.

So, i put together a little booklet covering the majority of the theory side of things, it's not brilliant and there are a fair few things missing, as the spec is so broad!

let me know what you think! and if you have your own resources they would be really appreciated! :smile:

i haven't looked at yours yet but thankyou!! i have looked up and down for a revision book for textiles and NOTHING. i am so worried that im going to miss something and that it would come up on the exam
how are you finding the revision for textiles?
theres so much to learn!
Reply 2
Original post by JerassicaMarshman
Hey guys!

just read through it and its amazing! i'd appreciate it if you upload anymore of your notes!

but is this AS revision or A2? im doing A2.
I'm still in year 12, so they are AS notes, but AS and A2 overlap so much with Textiles, but you need more stuff on the role of the designer and the history of fashion and designers etc.. but that should cover a large amount of it! :smile:
Original post by rosey76
i haven't looked at yours yet but thankyou!! i have looked up and down for a revision book for textiles and NOTHING. i am so worried that im going to miss something and that it would come up on the exam
how are you finding the revision for textiles?
theres so much to learn!

i know exactly what you mean! there is literally just the Textiles at the cutting edge book, and that is it!
It's such a good subject but far too broad and no help or guidance is really difficult! :frown:
hey :smile:, i'm new to this and this might not be relevant but seeing as you both took A Level Textiles, would you recommend taking it? I'm in year 11 but i'm about to go to Sixth Form and i wondered how much workload there is and if you spend more time making/designing things or text book work?
Reply 6
Original post by globalgallivanter
hey :smile:, i'm new to this and this might not be relevant but seeing as you both took A Level Textiles, would you recommend taking it? I'm in year 11 but i'm about to go to Sixth Form and i wondered how much workload there is and if you spend more time making/designing things or text book work?

There is an awful lot of workload (coursework and suprisingly so much to learn for the exam!) the coursework is quite enjoyable if you are willing to spend ALOT of time on it, it did take over my life alot which was a bad thing. Also if i knew how much info you need to learn for the exam, i think i would have put me off it. It depends how much you enjoy it really :smile: don't take it though if you think its going to be easy because it really isn't! :smile:
ah i do really enjoy but if its a huge workload i might not risk taking it hahaa, thank you for your help, definitely helped me make my decision! :smile:
Reply 8
ah i do really enjoy but if its a huge workload i might not risk taking it hahaa, thank you for your help, definitely helped me make my decision! :smile:

yeah i mean you could always do it to AS level then drop it :smile:
but at the moment i wish i dropped it at AS, far to much revision to do for it with no revision guide avaliable which makes it 10x harder!

also the coursework was a nightmare but thats just my personal opinion.

what are your other subjects your thinking of doing?
Reply 9
thanks for this and I agree it is stupid how they provide specific textbooks for all other subjects yet textiles there is literally nothing- I have the cutting edge textbook and also a textbook 'clothing technology'- I am dreading the exam next week! I'm taking A2 so hopefully your notes shall help :smile: I am just relieved my coursework is good or i'd be screwed!
Original post by rosey76
yeah i mean you could always do it to AS level then drop it :smile:
but at the moment i wish i dropped it at AS, far to much revision to do for it with no revision guide avaliable which makes it 10x harder!

also the coursework was a nightmare but thats just my personal opinion.

what are your other subjects your thinking of doing?

i was thinking of geography, biology, Welsh Baccalaureate (unfortunately, i think its compulsory) and possibly textiles or art (graphic design) - luckily i've still got a month or two to decide though!
Reply 11
i was thinking of geography, biology, Welsh Baccalaureate (unfortunately, i think its compulsory) and possibly textiles or art (graphic design) - luckily i've still got a month or two to decide though!

ooh well i do geography aswell which has ALOT to learn but it is interesting :smile:

a bad point is that textiles and geography exams seem to be around the same time for example last year it was a day after and this year i have them both at the same time on the same day! dunno if that changes your options.

i'd say if you're not sure you could always drop textiles after a year if you pick 4 subjetcs which will allow you to drop one subject :smile:
Original post by rosey76
ooh well i do geography aswell which has ALOT to learn but it is interesting :smile:

a bad point is that textiles and geography exams seem to be around the same time for example last year it was a day after and this year i have them both at the same time on the same day! dunno if that changes your options.

i'd say if you're not sure you could always drop textiles after a year if you pick 4 subjetcs which will allow you to drop one subject :smile:

I do geography & textiles AS, yet i'm doing the as art textiles do there isn't an exam!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by rosey76

awh that's really harsh putting them on the same day!:frown: I'd definitely choose geography over textiles anyday, but i don't think i could deal with having to revise for two exams around the same time - stressful!
Now you've said that i think i'd end up concentrating on geography more when it comes to revising and the workload, so i think i'll take your advice and maybe take it as an AS and drop it after the first year :smile:
Reply 14
I am looking to find a sixth form college that does textiles/fashion a level (as well as history, politics, psychology and history of art). Hopefully near Hertfordshire(Berkhamsted) and Buckinghamshire (Aylesbury). I would like to stay at my school but i need to see other options . If my school doesn't do A level textiles please help! Any suggestions on good sixth form colleges? Thank you!
Reply 15
I have been trying to find notes on this for ages... Dude you are amazing!!! Thank you so much for taking time to do all this;even if bits are missing... So helpful!!! :biggrin:
Is textiles a branch of Physics??
This is Amazing!!! do you have one for A2 or does it cover both?
Wish my teacher shad done this long ago for me!
thank you!!!!
I have my Alevel exam tomorrow morning, so this is great help. Thank you pal :smile: .
Reply 19
This is brilliant!! definitely recommend saving and printing off! go through and highlight this will save your a level!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending