The Student Room Group

Level 2 Certificate Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gah so nervous for tomorrow :s-smilie: This is definitely the hardest exam I have! Good luck everyone!
ive got latin paper 2 (which is the hardest exam i have after this) b4 it, so, should be intresting
How did everyone find it today??
Reply 23
Ok, easier than the practice papers but I reckon I have lost at least 10 marks. Can anyone get hold of the paper?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Really? I found it harder than the practise papers- particularly the question with a kite, asking you to find the coordinate of point B. Do you remember what you got for the answer? No, sorry.
Reply 25
The general consensus from my school was that we were bent over and anally raped multiple times. (Although to be fair, most of the people who said that did no revision whatsoever) I personally found it slightly easier than the mocks, although the kite question and the obtuse angled triangle threw me off a bit. I reckon I dropped around 15 marks max. Definitely too hard to be a GCSE paper though! I mean, compare this paper to something like a sociology or religious studies GCSE paper, and the difference in difficulty is just stupidly high!
Original post by lukeface
The general consensus from my school was that we were bent over and anally raped multiple times. (Although to be fair, most of the people who said that did no revision whatsoever) I personally found it slightly easier than the mocks, although the kite question and the obtuse angled triangle threw me off a bit. I reckon I dropped around 15 marks max. Definitely too hard to be a GCSE paper though! I mean, compare this paper to something like a sociology or religious studies GCSE paper, and the difference in difficulty is just stupidly high!

haha the first time I read this I was so confused! Yeah, I feel like I must have dropped around 10/15 marks too, and from the rest of the school this is what they kinda thought too. Yes I know what you mean! Although it's quite nice to have a challenge in the RE GCSE's ahha!
the formula for the other line was y=3x so i guessed that the x value for point b was midpoint of the origin and the other point (by the use of my ruler) so it was x=6 therefore y=18.... complete guess on the midpoint
Original post by vince130296
the formula for the other line was y=3x so i guessed that the x value for point b was midpoint of the origin and the other point (by the use of my ruler) so it was x=6 therefore y=18.... complete guess on the midpoint

uh oh ahah i didn't get this...
well i failed this. no exaggeration all the 5 mark and 6 mark question i had literally no idea.
And i want to do Further Maths A level
I'm screwed.
Dreading friday's paper, calc papers are always harder
Reply 30
i got x=6 and y=18, same as vince

Originally Posted by vince130296
Reply 31
Point A was (0,4)
Point C was (12,0)
Thus the equation of the line was y=-1/3x + 4
The other line was perpendicular thus a gradient of 3
The 2nd line went through the origin thus y(1) - 0 = 3 (x - 0) so, y=3x

To get the point the two lines met each other it must that the two lines equal each other therefore 3x=-1/3x +4
10x/3 =4
10x = 12
x = 1.2

y=3x
y= 3(1.2)
y= 3.6

However this was not point B, but the midpoint between the origin and B

Thus 2x(1.2, 3.6)
= (2.4 , 7.2) = point B
Original post by TheCozma
Point A was (0,4)
Point C was (12,0)
Thus the equation of the line was y=-1/3x + 4
The other line was perpendicular thus a gradient of 3
The 2nd line went through the origin thus y(1) - 0 = 3 (x - 0) so, y=3x

To get the point the two lines met each other it must that the two lines equal each other therefore 3x=-1/3x +4
10x/3 =4
10x = 12
x = 1.2

y=3x
y= 3(1.2)
y= 3.6

However this was not point B, but the midpoint between the origin and B

Thus 2x(1.2, 3.6)
= (2.4 , 7.2) = point B

This is what i got but i presumed it was wrong because it was such funny numbers?!?!
ahhhh thats annoying i got that method but messed up a bit with numbers ,!!!
how many marks du get if u get the line and then the x coordinate and the y coordinate but wrong numbers?
also, any idea on the triangle trig question (second part)
Original post by thetejmaster
ahhhh thats annoying i got that method but messed up a bit with numbers ,!!!
how many marks du get if u get the line and then the x coordinate and the y coordinate but wrong numbers?
also, any idea on the triangle trig question (second part)

I presume you're talking about the one that is prove that angle B is 60? I used the sinA/a = sinB/b equation, substituting the lengths they gave you and the value from the first part if that makes sense? I can't remember the numbers
does anyone know what the rough grade boundaries are?

I don't think so, as this is the first exam for this GCSE. I'm keeping fingers crossed for an A!!:crossedf:
Reply 37

My teacher said that apparently for this qualification they do it terms of ranking rather than grade boundaries i.e. the top 10 percent in the country get A*, top 20 percent get an A etc.
Original post by student0696
I presume you're talking about the one that is prove that angle B is 60? I used the sinA/a = sinB/b equation, substituting the lengths they gave you and the value from the first part if that makes sense? I can't remember the numbers

yes did that work?
i messed up the numbers so perhaps 1/2 out of 6 as i didnt finish it either,
Original post by lukeface
My teacher said that apparently for this qualification they do it terms of ranking rather than grade boundaries i.e. the top 10 percent in the country get A*, top 20 percent get an A etc.

so its like 5% for a^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending