The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexSanderson
Okay thanks! I have a feeling it would probably be Mechanical Engineering, any suggestions?

Well it really depends on what you want to achieve in your career.. If you want to go for the gulf, US ect. and work there in the future, you'd better go for a uni with international reputation.. Internationally for mechanical engineering I would say :

1. Cambridge
2. Imperial
3. Sheffield-Bristol-Manchester ( they are not that different from each other although manchester ranks higher internationally )

sources : http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/engineering-and-it.html
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012/subject-rankings/technology/mechanical-engineering
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-mechanical-aeronautical-manufacturing-engineering

If you want to stay in UK, you might want to go for:

1. Cambridge
2. Imperial
3. Loughborough- Bristol - Southampton
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
If rankings mean anything to you (they shouldn't), then Bath was 3rd for EEE in the Sunday Times Ranking for 2011. Lot's of lab sessions. Cambridge is super theory heavy.
Original post by ahpadt
If rankings mean anything to you (they shouldn't), then Bath was 3rd for EEE in the Sunday Times Ranking for 2011. Lot's of lab sessions. Cambridge is super theory heavy.

Bath barely makes it in the top 100 in the world rankings. And btw, I don't care about the rankings, certainly the biased, satisfaction based local rankings such as sunday times ( come on, Imperial College ranked n. 13, really ??? ), I just wanted to give a resource from which the thread starter can start forming an idea, and then get to know those top unis (via their websites, visits, reviews etc... ), and then choose..

You cannot deny that the ones I've stated are good unis, Bath may be a really good uni too, but it's rather understated..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bilgin_143
Bath barely makes it in the top 100 in the world rankings. And btw, I don't care about the rankings, certainly the biased, satisfaction based local rankings such as sunday times ( come on, Imperial College ranked n. 13, really ??? ), I just wanted to give a resource from which the thread starter can start forming an idea, and then get to know those top unis (via their websites, visits, reviews etc... ), and then choose..

You cannot deny that the ones I've stated are good unis, Bath may be a really good uni too, but it's rather understated..

Bath may not do well on the world stage given it is a relatively new uni, however it is consistently in the top ten uk for all the ranking tables both overall and for engineering. It's also one of the founding memebers of the IET power academy. It is certainly not understated by any means, it is one of the UKs best engineering univerisities, whether you like it or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Bath may not do well on the world stage given it is a relatively new uni, however it is consistently in the top ten uk for all the ranking tables both overall and for engineering. It's also one of the founding memebers of the IET power academy. It is certainly not understated by any means, it is one of the UKs best engineering univerisities, whether you like it or not.

No one really cares about your IET power academy which you are posting everywhere. And Bath is certainly NOT one of the best in engineering.

And stop quoting me every time I post somewhere, ****ing troll..
(edited 11 years ago)
No one really cares about your IET power academy which you are posting everywhere. And Bath is certainly NOT one of the best in engineering.

And stop quoting me every time I post somewhere, ****ing troll..

It is regarded as one of the best, it's always ranked in the top ten for engineering and overall. It is very well renowned engineering university. Just because you have some sort of problem with Bath and make sweeping assumptions about the uni doesn't mean a thing. Your opinion=/=fact!

I'll stop quoting you when you stop posting a load of crap.
(edited 11 years ago)
It is regarded as one of the best, it's always ranked in the top ten for engineering and overall. It is very well renowned engineering university. Just because you have some sort of problem with Bath and make sweeping assumptions about the uni doesn't mean a thing. Your opinion=/=fact!

I'll stop quoting you when you stop posting a load of crap.

I don't have any problem with Bath. I don't think it's as good, I have the right to state my opinions, and I can think and post about whatever the crap I want, it's called freedom of expression, in case you've never heard of it. You cannot dictate what I am going to post, as they are opinions rather than hard facts that I'm stating, troll..

And it's not just me saying that, but it's also the middle east regional manager of Bechtel who told me that when I had to choose between my current uni, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Sheffield and Bath, what about that, troll, is this guy who has been recruiting people all his life making a sweeping assumption ?
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't have any problem with Bath. I don't think it's as good, I have the right to state my opinions, and I can think and post about whatever the crap I want, it's called freedom of expression, in case you've never heard of it. You cannot dictate what I am going to post, as they are opinions rather than hard facts that I'm stating, f ing troll..

Calling me an ****ing troll doesn't make your argument any stronger I'm afraid, it just makes you look petty.

Yes you do have a right to state your opinion but you don't have the right to not have your opinion challenged, "it's called freedom of expression, in case you've never heard of it". Especially when your opinions as you say aren't based on "hard facts". So don't get upset when I point out that you are talking a load of pish.
(edited 11 years ago)
Calling me an ****ing troll doesn't make your argument any stronger I'm afraid, it just makes you look petty.

Yes you do have a right to state your opinion but you don't have the right to not have your opinion challenged, "it's called freedom of expression, in case you've never heard of it". Especially when your opinions as you say aren't based on "hard facts". So don't get upset when I point out that you are talking a load of pish.

I never said my opinions weren't based on facts, I said I'm not stating hard facts. This does not imply that what I'm saying is a load of "pish", and it is that language that makes me call you a f'ng troll, it's not because I want to make my argument look stronger. Troll your earned and well deserved title, do you understand that ?

what uni are you going to again? bath ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
x

x

To the both of you, please stop with the spammy arguments or official mod action will be taken.

If you wish to discuss the above further then please take it to PM, though remember that the same site rules apply there and you are advised to discuss things in a polite manner.

Latest