Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what holds you back the most- in fulfilling your potential?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you think most restricts you or people more widely from fulfilling your/their potential?

Do you regard external factors such as social class, wealth, level of education, culture as being the main reasons or is it internal factors such as motivation, desire, work ethic etc...

Obviously, they're not mutually exclusive but in general for you what are the main factors?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me it's probably internal things such as motivation etc.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingInsane)
    What do you think most restricts you or people more widely from fulfilling your/their potential?

Do you regard external factors such as social class, wealth, level of education, culture as being the main reasons or is it internal factors such as motivation, desire, work ethic etc...

Obviously, they're not mutually exclusive but in general for you what are the main factors?
    Sometimes motivation. I have a good work ethic, (or at least I like to think so lol) but sometimes I start to feel burnt out because I put a lot of effort in and get stressed and tired.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Myself. I always put things off because they seem such an unrealistic thing to achieve, but it obviously can be done, because alsorts of people achieve things they never thought they could. Its all about belief.
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doubt.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Poor perception.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Herpes
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    TSR.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laziness
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Inability to concentrate on something I find dull/boring for a long period of time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Laziness and too many distractions, including TSR....
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    My parents.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely internal things such as motivation.

I come from a pretty well-off family, privately educated, supportive parents (not pushy though). Arguably, everything external is ideal for me to fulfill my potential.

But... I have serious problems with motivation. I get distracted, my most efficient motivation is a deadline. Even then...

Maybe one could argue that because I'm already pretty comfortable, I don't feel such a pressing need to achieve my potential? I'm just lazy?

I want to achieve, I just can't seem to make the connection in my brain right now between hard work now and achieving my goals in the future.

Oh, and procrastination. Big problem right there. e.g. right now I'm on TSR instead of revising econ.

I have no hope!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    My memory definitely lets me down the most. I just cannot remember lots of facts at once and I do much better in lessons where I can apply my knowledge instead of just reciting facts.
    Also my attention span is pretty bad, everything seems to be a distraction, even the blank wall next to my desk.
    I've thought about having myself tested to see if I have any conditions that affect my memory and attention span but I don't think I'd be taken very seriously as I've never mentioned it before
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My ill health.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Procrastination. :sigh:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    shyness.
    • 137 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably my own brain
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The only things holding me back are lack of money, laziness (to a certain extent), and depite my best efforts, the fact that I am still influenced a little by what others think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The fact that despite being given opportunites that noone in my family has had before, I'm too socially inept and distant to even know that they're already passing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.