The Student Room Group

2012 Higher Physics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
how many marks do u lose if you get the right answer but haven't put it to x10^? or to a different x10^?
Original post by koonerr
how many marks do u lose if you get the right answer but haven't put it to x10^? or to a different x10^?

They generally don't penalise you at higher level for not putting your answer in scientific notation. Unless, of course, your answer contains a ridiculous number of significant figures.
Original post by AtTheApogee
Those answers are not official - they're written by a TSR user. He has neglected that, but it should be in there for full marks.

But unfortunately I think you'll only get 1/2 mark because you didn't say TOTAL MOMENTUM - the question was about momentum, not energy, and you always have to say "TOTAL".

P.S. my version of the solutions are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2364548&page=8&p=42857939#post42857939

I have now corrected both NQ and Revised for this question as suggested by AtTheApogee. His paper is very neat laid out but I think the answers are generally the same on both.

Thread link to answers and papers by tomctutor here 1358 (TSR forum)

Now finished working on NQ Paper A and B worked solutions which are up tonight on the above post #.
Reply 1603
Original post by tomctutor
I have now corrected both NQ and Revised for this question as suggested by AtTheApogee. His paper is very neat laid out but I think the answers are generally the same on both.

Thread link to answers and papers by tomctutor here 1358 (TSR forum)

Now finished working on NQ Paper A and B worked solutions which are up tonight on the above post #.

Appreciate your work and effort. This matches my teachers so 17/20 for me :biggrin: !

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Q23(c) to calculate the average force exerted on the dummy, I did something really stupid and instead of using the impulse equation, I worked out the kinetic energy using Ek=1/2mv^2, and then used Ew=Fd to calculate the force over the distance of 0.48m and still arrived at the answer of 14kN...can anyone tell me if this will get any marks? :frown:
What you did was still correct physics, and assuming the direction isn't required then you should get full marks, if it is you'll lose a half mark or so at best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsgleek
For Q23(c) to calculate the average force exerted on the dummy, I did something really stupid and instead of using the impulse equation, I worked out the kinetic energy using Ek=1/2mv^2, and then used Ew=Fd to calculate the force over the distance of 0.48m and still arrived at the answer of 14kN...can anyone tell me if this will get any marks? :frown:

I used t = s over v then used ft=mv-mu and got 27kN. How many marks will I get for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheFOMaster
What you did was still correct physics, and assuming the direction isn't required then you should get full marks, if it is you'll lose a half mark or so at best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously?! This is such a relief! I was getting so stressed out about it since no one else used this method and I was silly not to notice that time could have been calculated using speed, distance, time formula :smile: thank you!
Original post by physicsgleek
Seriously?! This is such a relief! I was getting so stressed out about it since no one else used this method and I was silly not to notice that time could have been calculated using speed, distance, time formula :smile: thank you!

No problem! You have the correct answer and used correct Physics. Obviously here they are testing you on impulse, but I can't imagine them penalising you for using an alternate - correct - method :smile:
Reply 1609
For the internal resistance from graph i got the right answer but didnt use the gradient of the line to find it. Will i still get the marks? I did some working and found the resistance of the load and then used E=IR+Ir.
Original post by koonerr
For the internal resistance from graph i got the right answer but didnt use the gradient of the line to find it. Will i still get the marks? I did some working and found the resistance of the load and then used E=IR+Ir.

Yeah, you should. I done that too :smile:
Reply 1611
Original post by TheFOMaster
Yeah, you should. I done that too :smile:

But does that work or was it luck lol? :P
Original post by koonerr
But does that work or was it luck lol? :P

No, it'd still work all the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending