The Student Room Group

2012 higher computing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by RoughIain
How I have done a question from 2010 is...

So..

1 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 16 + 0 + 64 + -128 = -45

Where did you get the -128 from? X Ok i get it, the minus 128 is from the most significant figure and because the most significant figure is 1 it is a negative number, i get it thanks a lot, our teacher never taught us it this way :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Whats the difference between a function and a sub routine..?
I know that a function has one value assigned to it and only returns one value... but what does this genuinly mean..? :/
Reply 102
Original post by Amazing-Boy-Umar
well the best way is too look at the external assesors report thingy on computing where it tells you where people go wrong mostly. This is a favourite for the sqa, as they can target questions that people find most difficult or confusing, so its always good to have an idea of what type of questions people struggle with and become pro at them.

Umar, how do you do hexadecimal conversion?
Original post by MattZING

well bro, a was confused with that too and asked my computing teacher if we needed to know about hexadecimal for higher, and he says that you dont.
For proof you can check all past papers for higher computing, hexadecimal never comes up, and won't come up, dnt knw why teachers teach it, it not even on the arrangement documents... Silly teachers :frown:.
But if you want to know how to convert to hexadecimal out of interest anyway, then am sorry but i dnt know :frown:

There is an algorithm for doing this. It's in the AH Maths syllabus, curiously enough. Unless you actually need to write code for this, though, by far the easiest way is to just break it into chunks (4 binary bits correspond to a single hexadecimal digit since 24=162^4 = 16) and then convert to decimal, and then to hexadecimal (which is as easy as remembering 'A' = 10, 'B' = 11, ..., 'F' = 15). With practice, you might well find you recognize the bit patterns. Example:

235 in decimal is 1110 1011 in binary. (n.b. we normally write binary in four-bit chunks anyway.) 1110 is 8+4+2 = 14 = E, 1011 is 8+2+1 = 11 = B. So 235 in decimal is EB in hex.

I've no idea if this is in the course, but it's handy if you want to take programming further. (It's not of immense use outside of programming.)
Reply 105
Original post by TheUnbeliever
There is an algorithm for doing this. It's in the AH Maths syllabus, curiously enough. Unless you actually need to write code for this, though, by far the easiest way is to just break it into chunks (4 binary bits correspond to a single hexadecimal digit since 24=162^4 = 16) and then convert to decimal, and then to hexadecimal (which is as easy as remembering 'A' = 10, 'B' = 11, ..., 'F' = 15). With practice, you might well find you recognize the bit patterns. Example:

235 in decimal is 1110 1011 in binary. (n.b. we normally write binary in four-bit chunks anyway.) 1110 is 8+4+2 = 14 = E, 1011 is 8+2+1 = 11 = B. So 235 in decimal is EB in hex.

I've no idea if this is in the course, but it's handy if you want to take programming further. (It's not of immense use outside of programming.)

I think I have figured out a way of doing this, can you check please.

Would 10010110 be 96?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Would 10010110 be 96?

It would. Windows calculator performs these conversions, if it's of interest. (You may need to set it to 'programmer' mode depending on your version.) What's your method? :smile:
Reply 107
Is my mind simply melting from the incessant memorisation of irrelevant, tenuously-linked facts, or have the SQA simply made some of this stuff up? I was suspicious of the existence of a software development process called simply "the software development process", so I looked up the pseudo-waterfall ADITDEM model, and couldn't find any reference to it anywhere but on Scottish Computing revision sites.
Reply 108
Is my mind simply melting from the incessant memorisation of irrelevant, tenuously-linked facts, or have the SQA simply made some of this stuff up? I was suspicious of the existence of a software development process called simply "the software development process", so I looked up the pseudo-waterfall ADITDEM model, and couldn't find any reference to it anywhere but on Scottish Computing revision sites.

Some other mysteries:

* Is SCHOLAR completely useless? How much of the course does it actually contain? Why do our teachers evangelise it to us?
* Should the course, as of 2005 (our textbook is the second edition of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Computing-Answers-John-Walsh/dp/0340906588 and not the most recent one... I'm doomed), have given all the "high-level programming language constructs" examples in COMAL?
* Should the 2011 past paper have been asking questions about WAP and WML as if they were current technologies?!

I could go on forever. I have half a mind to flunk this in protest. There are groups aimed at reforming kids' computer science curricula in England; would anyone have any interest in starting something like that north of the border? If so, I have most of my summer holiday free.
Original post by Lenina

Some other mysteries:

* Is SCHOLAR completely useless? How much of the course does it actually contain? Why do our teachers evangelise it to us?
* Should the course, as of 2005 (our textbook is the second edition of this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Computing-Answers-John-Walsh/dp/0340906588 and not the most recent one... I'm doomed), have given all the "high-level programming language constructs" examples in COMAL?
* Should the 2011 past paper have been asking questions about WAP and WML as if they were current technologies?!

I could go on forever. I have half a mind to flunk this in protest. There are groups aimed at reforming kids' computer science curricula in England; would anyone have any interest in starting something like that north of the border? If so, I have most of my summer holiday free.

My experience of learning AH (and Higher) Computing was first getting suspicious that something has been glossed over/bastardised/plain wrong and then just learning it the way it is for the sake of passing the exam :laugh: Then I forced myself to forget everything in that course so when I started my Computer Science degree I could be taught correct information properly.

I think all your materials are suitable for learning the Higher Computing course, just not very suitable for learning what proper Computer Science or Software Engineering is about. Hence learn it if the qualification means something to you :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lenina
I looked up the pseudo-waterfall ADITDEM model

You may well struggle to find that initialism used elsewhere, because it serves absolutely no purpose. (For the same reason you'd struggle to find an initialism of almost any other random collection of related words.) I don't remember it being presented to us as a model, and rather as a demonstration of the stages involved in software development and their names. These are fairly standard. In the real world, not only are there alternative methodologies, but the extent of adherence to any given process varies widely. This kind of thing is espoused heavily in management-type courses, and not so much elsewhere.

There are groups aimed at reforming kids' computer science curricula in England; would anyone have any interest in starting something like that north of the border?

There are definitely problems with the courses and, after chatting with the RasPi guys down here, it is something I want to take a serious look at post-graduation. Until then, I just haven't the time to allocate to the issue, not even to examine it in more closely.
Reply 111
It would. Windows calculator performs these conversions, if it's of interest. (You may need to set it to 'programmer' mode depending on your version.) What's your method? :smile:

I split it into 2 4 bit sections and wrote 8421 above the 1001, 8+1 = 9.
I then done the same for the other part 0110 which makes six and concatenated them together making 96, magic?

Reply 112
I don't see why people say that "English is the hardest higher". I am a mathy kind of person and English is easier than this.

I split it into 2 4 bit sections and wrote 8421 above the 1001, 8+1 = 9.
I then done the same for the other part 0110 which makes six and concatenated them together making 96, magic?

Great, so long as you remember to do the arithmetic in hex - in which case it's the same method I described above. :smile:
Reply 114
You may well struggle to find that initialism used elsewhere, because it serves absolutely no purpose.

I didn't search for the initialism; I searched for a list of common software development processes. I couldn't find the SQA's anywhere.

This kind of thing is espoused heavily in management-type courses, and not so much elsewhere.

This course doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a CS-based one or a management one.

There are definitely problems with the courses and, after chatting with the RasPi guys down here, it is something I want to take a serious look at post-graduation. Until then, I just haven't the time to allocate to the issue, not even to examine it in more closely.

Do you have Twitter or some such? I'd seriously like to contact you on it in future.

--

I'm spending more time tonight ripping this course apart than studying it. Where did this arbitrary single list of "virus code actions" come from - another SQA invention? I'm irritated by how often this course teaches SQA-specific simplifications, etc., as absolute, widely-accepted truths.

Defining Unicode as "a 16-bit code" left me scraping my eyebrows off the ceiling. Unicode's not a single encoding, and - correct me if I'm wrong, but - isn't UTF-8 more common?

One past paper question - I don't recall which year - went along the lines of, "why might a computer not have its processor's max addressable memory installed?". I answered that the motherboard might not support it (purely theoretical, but, hey, valid enough, as far as I know). The only answers mentioned in the marking instructions concerned the cost of memory, which seems pretty irrelevant for a computing course.

--

I must say, out of all the courses I'm taking, this is the only one that I can truly say that I regret. Thankfully, I took it early, rather than as one of my fifth-year highers, so it didn't cut into anything important.

I have a terrible fear that it's going to ruin my straight As on account of me being too bored rigid by memorising the ways that the SQA want us to "know" things to study enough. I made an utter mess of the prelim out of sheer boredom and frustration and lack of will to study such a useless course.

There we go - hatcheted the course. That was cathartic! Off back to study. :smile:
Reply 115
Great, so long as you remember to do the arithmetic in hex - in which case it's the same method I described above. :smile:

Is that like a to f? For example 11100101 would be E5?

Reply 116
I'm starting to really regret taking computing. It's become a real drag to revise as the course seems so disjointed and the marking so strict. Looked at the external assessment for last year and I completely understand why the average in the written exam is 66/140. There is just so much to know and only one day to go. That and the fact it's my last exam mean that I've all but given up. Wish we were doing computer networking or artificial intelligence, multimedia is hellish. Hopefully they will keep the number of scenario and explain questions to a minimum, although I doubt it :frown:
Reply 117
Original post by benten17
Wish we were doing computer networking or artificial intelligence, multimedia is hellish.

Trust me, you don't. AI is possibly the most boring and confusing topic I've covered in all my highers.
I don't see why people say that "English is the hardest higher". I am a mathy kind of person and English is easier than this.

I've not done Higher English but I do agree that Computing has to have one of the hardest exams out of all the Highers >.> So much harder than other sciency/mathy subjects
Reply 119
Basically what I think has happened was that the SQA decided lets screw some kids over, so they all took a dump in a bag, compressed it, turned it into paper and wrote higher computing 2012 on it. TBH I'd rather have a qualification in access 1 retardism. :smile: on the plus side I'm doing higher information systems this year :|. Just sniff the exam paper, you will understand. They might as well have went to a pc passport class and taken some random guesses of answers the class produced and placed it in some arrangement documents. However it is not all doom and gloom, why? Because the world is going to end soon, roll on 21st(?) December, 'mon the Myans?

If you decide not to attend the exam here are some jokes to read during the TWO HOURS AND THIRTY MINUTES?

Why did the chicken cross the road? To write the higher computing coursework.

What is black white and red all over? Your exam paper, because no answer is correct.

Knock knock, who's there? The SQA, we are here to kill your child's dreams of being an astronaut.

What do you call a deer with no eyes? The waterfall model (ADITEM) .

Thanks for reading. Have fun?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending